Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Italia '90

All I have to say here is:

GOAAAAAH!

Wait... I sent in this review like two years ago (or more, possibly)... How come it's posted, like, now and how dare you people disagree with me! I like shitty games! Wreauaauagh!

No, tbh, I thought the game was pretty fun to play. Sorry if you guys disagree.

Master of Shinobi SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Oerg866, you did this review? Very astute observations. I actually possess this version of the game as well. After reading your piece, I had no idea that the player's names are very close to the real names of players at the time.

I understand that some fellow gamers believe that the game suffers from poor controls. I agree and disagree. If you half hazardly pick players to join your roster, you are going to have a difficult time (1.) advancing the ball, (2.) defending your turf, and (3.) scoring. As Oerg866 has mentioned, if you have to have the right eye for reading the statistics of each player, the game is a breeze to play since you've picked (sometimes through trial and error) the right player for the respective position. If not, you will often find yourself perplexed as to how to switch from a defence stance to an offensive one.

After reading the comments thus far, I can understand members' grievances with respect to the game's graphics. Although the developer chose an overhead view of the playing field, personally I have no issues with it. As mentioned previously, it's almost as if you are playing a "Stiga" table top game. You have to remember that table top games in the 70s, 80s, and 90s were popular and in Canada, the NHL hockey variant could be found in all quadrants of the country: They were being sold not only in gaming stores but department stores as well. I mention this because it's probably why the game's graphics never really bothered me at all. It's almost like I am playing an online version of this type of table top game. Although visually quite minimalistic, they did manage to capture the essence of the sport. I always felt proud when I pulled off a bicycle kick and scored. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you can also purform a header as well.

Oerg866, after discovering that you penned the article, it did not surprise me that you thoroughly enjoyed the music. Whomever composed the music did an excellent job looping the musical score at the right time. The sound effects leave much to be desired but the music is quite good!

I have to agree that it is not a game that excels in single player competition. The game's fun factor resides in head to head competition in 2 player mode. With respect to single player mode, the level of difficulty does not remain static throughout a particular match but instead it rises and falls. This especially happens when you are playing some of the stronger teams. I've noted that the game's difficulty changes when the opposing team uses positional play to not only prevent you from advancing up the field but which makes you take a defensive stance. Figuring out how to outmaneuvre your opponent and when to pass is your key to moving the ball forward. As mentioned previously, to excel in this regard you must figure out how to properly read the statistics in order to pick the right player for the respective position.

There are a few criticisms that should be expressed: I have an issue with the HUD itself. At times it can be quite difficult to read. Had the developer chosen a different color combination, it would be quite easy to distinguish one's teammate from the opposing opposition. Another issue with the game is the control issues with the goal tender: If you pick a mediocre team, it is extremely difficult to position the goalie in time to fend off an attack or block a goal. This is a non issue if you are using a strong team like Brazil or Argentina. When using a mediocre team my tactic has always been to keep the ball away from the goalie as best I can using my defenders: it's a little bit difficult to pull off if you are new to the game but if you take the time to learn the basic moves, the actions becomes second nature. The last issue I have with the game is with respect to how you steal the ball. Unlike tackling, there is no button that is assigned to stealing the ball from your opponent. Instead, the task is simply done by simply running into your opponent.

In spite of it's failings, I've always enjoyed playing this game. I've got enough enjoyment playing the game by myself and with friends to confidently say that I have no problem agreeing with the reviewer's score.
    Time to wake up Gordon Gekko! It's time to put that plan into action!

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

WTF

This game is horrible, as I already mentioned in my review of World Championship Soccer (2/10). Also, I have no idea why this review got published, since both games are practically the same, aside from the 'minor differences'. I thought they didn't do double reviews on Sega-16. Or can I review every game that has different titles in Europe and the United States, but are the same nonetheless? Then it's also time to check out Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis) and Soleil (Crusader of Centy) once more...

Tom's got a point here, technically this should count as a Double Take, not as a review on its own... as for the player names, I don't know... I'd say they are oriented on real player names, but they don't really reflect the 1990-roster. The few times a name is actually spot on seems like it happened by accident. And even if the name of a real player is used, he most of the time wasn't even part of the 1990-World Cup-Roster, but rather the previous 1986 one.... but now I'm nitpicking.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Submitted:
    Feature:
    Sega Gear: Datel (Pro) Action Replay

Reviews:
    Gouketsuji Ichizoku

Work in Progress:
    Reviews:
    J. League Pro Striker
    Uncharted Waters

A Light In The Building. WCPO Agent

Since this review exists, we'll need reviews for 'World Cup Soccer' and 'Super Futebol' just for good measure.

I wrestled with putting up this review, specifically because I wasn't sure that it was different enough to warrant a separate entry. That's why it took so long to go up. Ultimately, I decided it did qualify because the player's names are different, the teams are different and organized differently, and it has a FIFA license. In truth, there are more differences between these two versions than there are between the two Elitseriens ('95 & '96) that we posted, and no one complained about those.

I think that if a game is released for a specific region and has changes made especially for that region, it can qualify as a different entry. Many people aren't even aware that there are different versions of these games, so the reviews serve a purpose there. A simple name change, however (like Beyond Oasis or Crusader of Centy), wouldn't qualify.

This game certainly brings memories, it came pack in with my original megadrive over 20 years ago, at the time I loved it, sure much better soccer games came out after but this still holds a place in my heart, I still play it from time to time on my Nomad.
    I mostly agree with the review, maybe 6 out of 10 would be better, in my opinion nostalgia should have a say in the reviews, we´re talking a sports game over 20 years old, for me when I read this reviews my favourite part in taking an around 20 years trip back in time and remembering the good old days of peak 16bit gaming.

Wildside Expert

it is and it got a 2 which is what this game should have got

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by McTom View Post
    This game is horrible, as I already mentioned in my review of World Championship Soccer (2/10). Also, I have no idea why this review got published, since both games are practically the same, aside from the 'minor differences'. I thought they didn't do double reviews on Sega-16. Or can I review every game that has different titles in Europe and the United States, but are the same nonetheless? Then it's also time to check out Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis) and Soleil (Crusader of Centy) once more...
    yes they are both the same

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Ultimately, I decided it did qualify because the player's names are different, the teams are different and organized differently, and it has a FIFA license.
    All those things do not expalin why there is 5 rating difference between the two versions

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
    All those things do not expalin why there is 5 rating difference between the two versions
    no it certainly DOES NOT! there is a major discrepensy here

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

How come World Championship Soccer receives a 2/10, whereas this gets a 7/10? They're practically the same game!
    Inconsistency at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    All I have to say here is:

GOAAAAAH!

So much hate for this game, yes it lacks options, real names on players etc etc but the thing is, I played this recently with a friend and its just a laugh, so much fun in a simple way, yes it may have loads of "lacks" but it was fun and remember it was the first soccer game released for the megadrive/genesis.
    May the 16bit power be with us

Thread Information