Quantcast

Thread: Is this normal for a PS3 or is there a problem with it? Please help!

Default Is this normal for a PS3 or is there a problem with it? Please help!

This comes from a craigslist listing.

"What few games I played I haven't seen any issues, except for when I tried playing MLB12 The Show, and Red Dead Undead Nightmare, the game always exits back out to the main menu on those."

Anything I should worry about or it is good to go?

Without more info there's not really a way to know if it's the system or the discs.

I'd guess it's the discs if the other games on the unit are working fine. If you've got a copy of Uncharted 2 that you know works, take that over and try to start the game, I've heard it's kind of a stress test for earlier PS3. And check that the warranty sticker is intact first
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Master of Shinobi EclecticGroove's Avatar

Yeah, only time I've ever seen similar with mine is a bad disk or when it needs to update the system... but the system update is pretty obvious as it tells you that you need to do it. I'd be a bit wary of it going bad unless you have the means/desire to get it fixed cheap should it explode on you.

Go demon or go home Master of Shinobi AD2101's Avatar

Yea, always check for intact warranty seals, as well as pry marks on the system in places where the system comes apart. With patience and a hair dryer, most people can tear into a system and do whatever home remedies they want on it, put it back together and you'd never know it was opened. I will say that in my experience PS3 blu-ray discs are much more picky than DVD's or CD-ROMS. A couple of minor scratches on a PS3 disc seem to throw wrenches into everything more than you'd think it would.

If its a great deal go for it I guess. Worst case scenario is the Blu-ray drive is going out, and I'm pretty sure those are much easier to fix than certain 360 DVD drives.

End of line.. Raging in the Streets gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AD2101 View Post
    A couple of minor scratches on a PS3 disc seem to throw wrenches into everything more than you'd think it would.
    You'd really have to treat a Blu-Ray disc pretty bad, even to get one scratch on the surface.

If its a great deal go for it I guess. Worst case scenario is the Blu-ray drive is going out, and I'm pretty sure those are much easier to fix than certain 360 DVD drives.
    Some of the older units had issues with the laser diode going out. It's not the most difficult fix, for sure.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Go demon or go home Master of Shinobi AD2101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You'd really have to treat a Blu-Ray disc pretty bad, even to get one scratch on the surface.
    Oh I know, I mean in general I take care of my shit because a) I'm somewhat of a collector and 2) it's the smart thing to do, but since it's craigslist I'm assuming his PS3 discs did double duty as entertainment as well as beer coasters or throwing discs. It's kind of a hard thing to mess up a blu-ray disc, but where there's a will there's a way.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Some of the older units had issues with the laser diode going out. It's not the most difficult fix, for sure.
    True, also if I remember correctly, the PS3 doesn't "tag" the drive to the console like the 360 does. It's not particularly hard to swap out PCB's on the 360 dvd drives but if you're not great with a soldering gun some models can be tricky.

End of line.. Raging in the Streets gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AD2101 View Post
    Oh I know, I mean in general I take care of my shit because a) I'm somewhat of a collector and 2) it's the smart thing to do, but since it's craigslist I'm assuming his PS3 discs did double duty as entertainment as well as beer coasters or throwing discs. It's kind of a hard thing to mess up a blu-ray disc, but where there's a will there's a way.

True, also if I remember correctly, the PS3 doesn't "tag" the drive to the console like the 360 does. It's not particularly hard to swap out PCB's on the 360 dvd drives but if you're not great with a soldering gun some models can be tricky.
    I've repaired a 60gig model's Blu-Ray drive. You have a board that is connected at the front of the drive, that has to be swapped to your replacement drive (or so I've heard) for it to work. It's not a big deal, since it's held on with a couple of screws and a jumper cable.
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-28-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Road Rasher

Is it the fat or slim ps3? Id avoid it if its a fat model. YLOD is not fun and my fat died 2 weeks prior to its third birthday (from purchased new). Thankfully i had those 2 weeks left on my manufacturers flaw warranty (3 years) by swedish law. Got a new replacment fat model, sold it and got a slim.

Thread Information