Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My confession...I threw away a working Sega Saturn

You...... You monster.......

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

While I don't agree with the OP tossing the Saturn, at least he has the balls to admit his mistake. Just don't do something like that again.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Yeah, we all make mistakes so don't fret it, life is one big learning experience after all!

Personally, I get kind of frustrated by how disposable so much stuff is today. Maybe it's because I grew up in a pretty cheap household, but if anything even looks like it has remote value or is repairable it gets kept. This is can also be a bad thing too, like when my great uncle passed away and then had an estate auction that took weeks to go through everything. My mom is showing signs of it a bit as well, but she's pretty level headed about the supposed value of things like say, a broken $20 vacuum and is willing to get rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Yeah, you def don't want to get into hoarding tendencies, it can get ugly fast, and you don't even need to go into the super extreme levels of it to do so.

But I also agree that the throw away culture sucks. But at the same time, many products are deliberately designed to be consumed and disposed of. Others just wind up that way.

My 32x for instance, I had no issues tossing it because at the time I could still go into 3-4 different local stores and find new in box ones stuck on clearance shelves for $20 or less. The loose ones in flea markets and the like were practically being given away. A lot of games wind up like that shortly after their systems are discontinued, and only get worse for a bit.
    How many NES/SNES/Genesis games could you find at your local game stores at ridiculous low prices when the PSX was big? I know I could have gone and bought damn near 100 at times for probably less than $1 each. They would have been more than happy to just get rid of the inventory. I just didn't have the money or the inclination to do something like that at the time.

Now? I'd imagine at least 1/4 of the games I could have gotten like that are probably worth more individually than what I would have paid for the whole lot. Even the cases and manuals for some would be worth more.

I have THREE sitting on my shelf right now, shame on you sir. Bet he also drowns puppies...

Sure, why not? I did it all the time in Japan. Saturns, PS1s, N64s, Super Famicoms, Famicoms, Dreamcasts, Wonderswans, Gameboys, Game Gears, Neo Geo Pocket Colors, top loading Neo Geo CD units, etc. are stupidly common there. Sometimes I had like 5-10 of them at the same time, because they were like $3-5 each to buy. If I took them home and they were a bit yellowed or had a peeling label or whatever, I'd just toss them.

No big deal. I needed the space.

Disclaimer:

Aside from the slightly trolly nature of this post, this actually was the case to an extent. The consoles I mentioned really were easy to find for cheap. At that price, they were untested and I sometimes had to use 2 or 3 units to make one "good" one.

-In a Hard-Off thinking: "Okay, so here is one Super Famicom with a yellowed bottom have for $3.50, and one with a yellowed top for $3.50. There's another totally yellowed one. I'll buy all three." So, I bring them home and switch the top and bottom of the first two SuFami systems. Awesome! Except... the controller ports don't work. "I'll just switch the port from the yellowed on. Yay, it works! I guess I'll just toss all the broken/yellowed stuff now."

That's kind of how it would really go sometimes.

I did get lucky a few times. I found a PC Engine Duo for about $5 that worked. Got an SG-1000 and Mark III for $5 each. They were in playable condition. Not discoloured, but they did have some scuffs. Found an AES that had some video issues. I think it actually did get tossed in the end. The controllers and hook ups were obviously saved.
    Last edited by Breetai; 05-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I've heard great stories of how cheap a lot of the stuff in Japan is. Like that a white Saturn in decent shape with hookups is around $10 US and people can't get rid of them fast enough. I know I'd be in big trouble if I went back over again now that I've got plenty of cash to burn, I'd probably wind up with my own shipping container!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I've heard great stories of how cheap a lot of the stuff in Japan is. Like that a white Saturn in decent shape with hookups is around $10 US and people can't get rid of them fast enough. I know I'd be in big trouble if I went back over again now that I've got plenty of cash to burn, I'd probably wind up with my own shipping container!
    I've got Saturns boxed for 525yen ($6 or so). Usually grey Saturns, but sometimes whites (very common loose) and even the odd skeleton. Cheapest I saw a V-Saturn (mk.II) for was about $20. Hi-Saturn $50 (I didn't see many of these).

The occasional $10 PC Engine original CGI or CGII. It's strange that the cheapest PCE I ever saw was a Duo. PC Engines and Mega Drived didn't turn up as often as the other consoles I mentioned in the other post. MDs more than PCEs, actually. You'd have thought the MD was more popular, even though it wasn't.

NGCD units were surprisingly abundant and inexpensive. I did toss one that didn't work well, to be honest. If I saw on here in N.America, I would never toss it. Totally different markets.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

You have commited a grievous sin, but take heed! For all is not lost. Surely, if you repent from your past sins and accept Sega into your heart, the great Sega will forgive you, and say until you, "Go, and throw away consoles no more."
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by eddiespruce View Post
    I think I finally figured out why the OP is called "grieverr", he's grieving over the loss of his Saturn.
    Ha! Nice!
    I do have another one, so at least I'm not missing playing.

@GohanX
    LOL! I have a Genesis, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast. Believe me, Sega has lived in this heart for a long time

Outrunner

Is anyone in Japan right now? I could use a couple Japanese consoles.

Thread Information