Quantcast

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac OS on a Sega Genesis? Yes!

Didn't you say that when posting on the internet and typing that there was quite a bit of lag due to all of the graphical smilies and whatnot?

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    Didn't you say that when posting on the internet and typing that there was quite a bit of lag due to all of the graphical smilies and whatnot?
    yea, i did, i totally forgot..

all the animation was bringing the bus interface between the Genny and 32X, to it's knees, as it also had to "repeat" the address lines to the DRAM, and even access the HD.. oh, and not to mention the NIC..

Ok that picture looks slightly credible since I wouldn't know of any other way to get MacOS to run on a telly. But It could also simply be a sceenshot of a Macos desktop running in a sega demo is it not .
    Conclusive proof would be a small video of that set up where somebody moves the mouse and types something in SimpleText.

@megadrive world:
    Why would it run slow? This version of the OS is made to run on 68K.

Road Rasher

I figured it would run slow in general for the same reason that graphical animations were slowing it down: and additional bus to run through.
    I could be wrong, but in general more things in any kind of signal path have a tendency to degrade it unless they're there as a repeater in a long cabling situation.
    The way that those graphics are described would give many people a headache on anything but an LCD, where the shifts and shimmies(which are KINDA LIKE increasing horizontal res) would be smoothed.
    The problem is, the fact is, analog RGB into an LCD is going to give blurrier pixel edges VS RGB into a good CRT monitor.
    If you get an old applecolor you can compare the two. Tests. Pixel clarity VS frame smoothing.
    I don't have anything below 31/60, and it needs to take 15/30.
    Last edited by TheGZeus; 12-10-2006 at 05:49 PM.

here's a video of it booting.. since it is a 68010 in my Genesis, and my boot ROM can't handle the extra instructions, it crashes at boot.. but you get to see it BOOT..

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/segamacboot.mov

i had to compress it cause the original video was 11MB... as you can see, when it does first boot, it's in 320x224, when the welcome to macintosh appears, it doubles up..

(no, and there is NO happy Mac face... that's in the boot ROM, and I wanted to make a Happy SEGA logo, but couldn't figure out that part of the Mac ROM, so I just ditched it all together..)

That's really cool, but others might wonder why you have a 68010 in there all of a sudden.

Road Rasher

Yeah.

Road Rasher

Wait, Mac OS CAN hande the 68010 instructions!!
    SOME Genesis games can't, but MANY MANY Mac users upgraded their computers with 68010s to boost performance.

Are you TRYING to get people to doubt you!??

Quote Originally Posted by TheGZeus
    Wait, Mac OS CAN hande the 68010 instructions!!
    SOME Genesis games can't, but MANY MANY Mac users upgraded their computers with 68010s to boost performance.

Are you TRYING to get people to doubt you!??
    my Boot ROM doesn't.... my boot ROM can't handle it, because it runs an instruction that causes a problem.. it may work on a real Mac, but this isn't a real Mac...

(and I think the instruction is a virtual memory thing, which can DEFINITELY not work on the SegaMac.. the repeating 32X would cause too much of a load, and possibly even errors.. that's what I think is happening.. Mac OS sees the 68010, and enables virtual memory... though, holding SHIFT at startup didn't work either)
    Last edited by evildragon; 12-13-2006 at 04:13 PM.

the 68010 is in there, because i tried to overclock the 68000.. i ended up frying the CPU, and was forced to replace it, which all i had at the time was a 68010..

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

What's to doubt? So he may have made a silly decision to many people, but it looks real to me.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Road Rasher

What did you try to overclock it to? 70mhz?
    People have take it to 400% and all it does is add errors.(largely tearing due to lack of Vsync because they clock to speeds that aren't multiples of the carrier wave for their region, though that's obviously not all. Trying to draw during a blanking period can do serval things depending on the program).
    Did you solder something to one of the legs and torch it?
    However, that would be ruled out with the whole ability to replace it and all.

Dude, this isn't a commercial project. Just COPY the ROM.
    Do you know someone who owns a mac of this period? Don't run this and that at the same time and it's legal.

If this is true(I have doubts, not proof) then you've made weird(in my opinion poor) decision after weird(ditto) decision.

If this is true it's a feat of programming on all parts. I'd think they'd JUMP at the chance to take credit and explain their methods!
    get all parties here, or at least to log on under your name(though that's...suspicious) and things will clear up fast.

i tried to overclock to 13.4MHz.. I think what fried it was the soldering iron, i think i had it on a leg too long...

replacing the CPU is easy, just clip the legs off, remove what's left, solder on a socket, and install a new CPU...

im still trying to get my friend to sign up, the one who programmed the boot loader part and the 32X code, along with the syncing code... he keeps on wanting ME to have the credit, as our agreement, but im just not able to answer a lot of the questions only HE knows...

Now, a name for this.

I say it will be called the MacDrive from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by megadriveworld
    Now, a name for this.

I say it will be called the MacDrive from now on.
    MacDrive is the name of a real product.

Thread Information