Quantcast

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Mac OS on a Sega Genesis? Yes!

Is it? Well that just shows how professional my name giving skills are. Oh well, It could still be called MacDrive in this forum as long as you don't distribute and sell it which you couldn't be able to do legally anyway.

Road Rasher

MacaDrive?

Also, it's been shown to not be a 68010 on another forum.
    It's some 68000 TYPE proc, possibly a 68HC000 or a 68EC000-compatible.
    Missing instructions.
    Why do there people want you to have the credit? I'm just curious. I'd need to look back, but I seem to remember that someone else programmed the SCSI emulation, and someone else built the device. Is it's just the memory mapping and the ROM clone that you did?
    Because I'm surprised that you didn't know that you should use a multiple of the NTSC/PAL dot clock when setting the CPU clock(S).
    You suggested that you use a faster clock for the SOUND and VIDEO processors.
    All that would do is cause more errors.
    Blacking periods, VSync...

I'm starting to believe you MADE it, but you don;t know how it actually works on a fundamntal level.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

this was the 68k i put in the genesis..

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/68010-Genesis.jpg

it wasn't proved NOT to be a 68010 yet.. it's speculation, of which i don't know myself... it's possible it's not a 10, but HP's house number did come up as one, unless it's a 68010 with some code disabled, as requested by HP..

i made the boot ROM to the device (the genesis ROM), while others wrote the Sega CD and 32X ROM code.. i only know how the Genesis loads it, which is simple enough.. but the other code, I don't know much..

from here on in though, im on my own.. which I want to use the Sega CD PCM, and I think I know how to do that.. I'll make it, when booting the ROM for the Sega CD, there be TWO different varients.. either SCSI CD emulation, OR use it as a sound card (don't know how i'll get Mac OS to talk to it, but an "extension" will probably do, just like the 2612..)

Road Rasher

It's not speculation. if it was a 68010 it would not run the games that don't run with a 68010.
    Code wasn't ADDED it was CHANGED. Youre trying to dig out of a hole with that.

I'd actually suggest writing a whole extension(is that the same as a driver? I'm not much of a Mac user, though I dig them alot) to run the 2612 and/or all 8 channels of PCM.
    The SCD apparantly isn't that colsely coupled to the Genesis. Not that they don't share info, but one CPU halts to transfer data, and then they only communicate with flags while working(the first part I got from Genesis assembly info, the second part word of forum, so don't take it as total fact).

yea, but i tried asking that other forum, if it's possible if they forgot to hook up the capacitor to the 68010.. because HP says my part number is a 68010, so im curious about it... (is there a Macintosh utility that can ID the CPU?)

The Mac itself can do that, under "About this Macintosh". I forget what it's called pre-OSX, though. Don't make me boot into OS9 to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    The Mac itself can do that, under "About this Macintosh". I forget what it's called pre-OSX, though. Don't make me boot into OS9 to find out.
    Only OS X could tell you the CPU..

Macs only say the RAM, and the Mac "model"... That's it... (and what applications are open)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/15583

Freeware. Not sure if it'll run in OS 7, though.

ok, well once i get this thing booting, i'll give it a shot..

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon
    yea, but i tried asking that other forum, if it's possible if they forgot to hook up the capacitor to the 68010.. because HP says my part number is a 68010, so im curious about it... (is there a Macintosh utility that can ID the CPU?)
    EVERYONE did it wrong THE SAME WAY and the people who understand the assembly and EXACT COMMANDS that were changed and WHICH GAMES USE WHAT COMMANDS were ALL WRONG but somehow YOU are the only one to EVER do it right....
    Dude.
    No.

Have you been able to get the Mac to take advantage of Blast Processing? That would make it, like, the fastest Mac ever!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGZeus
    EVERYONE did it wrong THE SAME WAY and the people who understand the assembly and EXACT COMMANDS that were changed and WHICH GAMES USE WHAT COMMANDS were ALL WRONG but somehow YOU are the only one to EVER do it right....
    Dude.
    No.
    and as i said in the other forum, i am awaiting a response from Agilent Technologies on this chip..

so let's quit the speculation, until I get official word (as HP wasn't the right source, Agilent is)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    Have you been able to get the Mac to take advantage of Blast Processing? That would make it, like, the fastest Mac ever!
    bah, no such thing... it's just impossible to do a "double buffering" on the Genesis VDP, as inferred on some forums..

Blast Processing is real I tell you. REAL! It makes Sonic run fast. You know why all post-Genesis Sonic games have sucked? NO BLAST PROCESSING! Even a farm of 400 PS3s don't have Blast Processing, and therefore cannot even hope to be as powerful as even 1 Genesis.

I guess the Wii and all those emulators must have blast processing too, huh?

Thread Information