Quantcast

Thread: Soundesign Stereo Help?

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

Default Soundesign Stereo Help?

I have a Soundesign stereo console from the 70's or 80's (not sure, but it has AM/FM, Cassette, and 8-track) that hums. Even though it is powered off, there is an audible humming noise coming from the stereo console. It has an LED digital clock. Could that be the source? Is there a capacitor at fault, and how do I track it down?

I don't want to get rid of it because it is my only source for 8-track tape playback.
    It is finished!

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    I have a Soundesign stereo console from the 70's or 80's (not sure, but it has AM/FM, Cassette, and 8-track) that hums. Even though it is powered off, there is an audible humming noise coming from the stereo console. It has an LED digital clock. Could that be the source? Is there a capacitor at fault, and how do I track it down?

I don't want to get rid of it because it is my only source for 8-track tape playback.
    Older equipment tend to hum because there is no gnd gonnected and the circuit induces electric arround the hardware and this is reason for hummin with speakers. Usually many LP players have this problem and I fixed almoust every one adding separate gnd cable as we have grounded socket connectors here in Finland.

While the speakers hum closed it seems there is some caps that dicharges for a while and induces the noise in speaker for a while. If it hums all the time then it might be affected by separate hardware near it.

Also the FM modulator might induce noise in the systmen if it's not properly shielded.

In you case what I understanded of your post is that you migh have voltage regulator there to drive led display when the rest system is shut off. In a 70's cricuits they usually induce noise in speakers. Adding separate GND for the system might work for you.

Then again grounding the machine will solve speaker noise issues usually.
    Last edited by MEGADRIVE Jeroi; 06-23-2012 at 03:48 AM.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

AC powered audio equipment can also hum because the designers were too cheap to spring for a coil & cap big enough to use in an effective 60Hz trap on the AC to DC converter, so you have a 60Hz ripple in the DC that powers the unit. If you have a scope, put it on the DC supply and check for the ripple.

End of line.. Raging in the Streets gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    AC powered audio equipment can also hum because the designers were too cheap to spring for a coil & cap big enough to use in an effective 60Hz trap on the AC to DC converter, so you have a 60Hz ripple in the DC that powers the unit. If you have a scope, put it on the DC supply and check for the ripple.
    Sound Design would fit right into that category. Wasn't that a Sears Stereo?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

So, can anything be done to remedy this?
    It is finished!

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

Until further help, I guess we need pictures of you machine and close ups of motherboard and such pictures.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

I'm pretty inexperienced with audio stuff....way back when I had all my consoles connected through scart the american snes had an audio buzzing. The american SNES is supposed to have 220 uf caps on the rgb lines. I added 220 uf caps to the rgb and sync lines (the encoder I was using needed the cap on sync to get it working), next thing I know the audio buzzing went away. The american snes rgb lines have extra voltage and caps get rid of that which cleans up buzzing. If you ever feed extra voltage into an audio line it'll buzz, even touching the audio line with a hot soldering iron will give you buzzing. Maybe adding a strong enough capacitor is all you need?

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    Yeah, find out the DC requirements of the system and build a better AC to DC circuit. It would probably be easier buying new equipment.
    http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    Nintendoage: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    You are like a black slave overseer working for your white liberal and PC slave master named Xander Crews.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tz101
    Yeah, find out the DC requirements of the system and build a better AC to DC circuit. It would probably be easier buying new equipment.
    It all depends on what the person is capable of... can they make their own circuits or supplies? Maybe they make their own filter to put on the output of the existing supply. This isn't something that can be given instructions on as it will depend on the existing equipment. It's another case of you either know what to do or you don't.

It all depends on what the person is capable of... can they make their own circuits or supplies? Maybe they make their own filter to put on the output of the existing supply. This isn't something that can be given instructions on as it will depend on the existing equipment. It's another case of you either know what to do or you don't.
    Well I'd just buy new equipment it may not even be worth the effort to look into. Not like it's some sort of super rare dedicated piece of hardware that was only made by one company

Unless we're talking sentimental value here?

You are like a black slave overseer working for your white liberal and PC slave master named Xander Crews.

End of line.. Raging in the Streets gamevet's Avatar

Yeah, unless he knows how to build a bandpass filter or change out caps, a Sound Design stereo isn't exactly worth the time. I guess if he has a huge collection of 8-tracks (they'd probably drag anyways) it would be worth the effort, but you could probably get a shelf stereo for about $150 that would probably sound better and have more features.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The last time I bought a stereo was in 1992 when I got the first cd player in our house (yes as a 12 year old I had cooler gear than my parents). Then my dad gave me his old 1979 amp in 1993 and I've never needed any new sound equipment since as I always figured out how to fix the amp when it broke. I've given away a couple of amps that I got for free that people were getting rid of but they worked fine. Mind you my amp never had any buzzing issues it only gets blown fuses and the very occasional channel input crapping out but I just unplug / re-insert the cord and all is fixed. Really this amp is indestructible, a bolt of lighting passed right through the amp and blew my old computer sound card. My amp was the only thing that wasn't plugged into a surge protector when that happened.

We used to go around the yard sales looking for broken TVs and stereos, then fix them for resale. Most of the time, it's maybe $20 worth of parts. The first 400W quadraphonic amplifier I had was that way - worth about $1600 at the time, cost $20 + $20 parts to fix.

Thread Information