Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ristar vs Dynamite Headdy : who will win ?

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

DH did not quite click with me last time I played it, mostly because of the music. The game itself is quite nice but I really need to give it a good playthrough sometime...
    Ristar gets my vote though.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

DH is really strange and interesting but Ristar always felt a lot more solid with a better sense of direction. Both games are stellar in the graphics department.

I like both for different reasons. Ultimately I tend to revisit Ristar a bit more often.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Both are good games, but I like Ristar better.

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    I think Dynamite Headdy is the better game. It has more variety, a more dynamic pace and is overall more action-packed.
    Although most people are going to prefer Ristar, because of its pretty graphics, slower pace and more identifiable character.
    I guess both are really good.
    I'd agree with this, but I'd also say that Ristar's gameplay feels better since it's more focused. Headdy's head gimmick doesn't play as smoothly, and the challenge is all over the place. Likewise, I love the puppet style of Headdy, but it's character designs really don't mesh together well at all, even if that was the intent given the theme. I feel like I should be saying Headdy is the better game since stuff like the secret bonus points give it more depth (and it's more creative), but it's not the sort of "pick up and play" game that Ristar and better platformers tend to be.

Nameless One

Not all of the secret bonus points are that great, though. The ones that require the RNG reacting favorably (such as Bino showing up during the Mad Dog boss) can be really tedious if you're trying for that level of completion. The one at the start of the South Town level (where you have to keep hitting the HIT ME statues before moving on through the level) is also obnoxious. I prefer to ignore them. Ristar's bonus stages are hard sometimes, but generally feel fair. Yeah, even that very last one.

The couple of sign posts which just require spamming hits and the one at the start of the flying stage are not interesting, but they're like ten seconds or so interruptions that I can't complain too much over. Mad Dog and Gatekeeper's Bino can be annoying, too, but that's still not much considering the 39 secret bonus points to collect. My only gripe for involved games such as this in the inability to save and restart a level if you skip one. Those last few are tough, and I always hated working on the game just to mess up in the end.

Anyone feel like there's too much graphical clutter in DH? I've tried (and failed) to get through the game recently, but found myself disoriented by all the on-screen objects and sprites in some sections. I get that Treasure was trying to impress, but they really overdid it with DH?

I'll save my verdict for when I've thoroughly played both games (which I've owned at one point).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert molul's Avatar

Well, Dynamite could shoot his head from the distance. Although Ristar could catch it and explode it. Although Dynamite could have got a powerup like the bomb, spike or war head, reducing Ristar to ashes. Also, Dynamite could get the vacuum head to absorb Ristar from the distance, or get the invisible head to shoot him comfortably.

I think Dynamite has way more resources to beat Ristar XD

Ristar all the way.....

Ristar has better graphics and sound, but I prefer the gameplay of Dynamite Headdy.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert ITViking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GameMaster600 View Post
    Sonic 1 was boring and not a very good game...
    Spoken like someone spoiled by the plethora of 'mascot' platformer wannabes that came up in the shadows of Sonic. You clearly weren't around when Sonic 1 hit the stage. It was truly revolutionary, and although there may be better games since, they all owe their existence to Sonic 1. Period.

It's all perspective. There's always a better game from someone's perspective.
    Last edited by ITViking; 09-24-2018 at 01:14 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert molul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Ristar has better graphics and sound, but I prefer the gameplay of Dynamite Headdy.
    Dynamite's gameplay was way more diverse. So many different challenges. Also, it had way more levels.

Ristar, being simpler, probably has more charm than Dynamite as it it a less hard game, easier to enjoy. Dynamite is quite hardcore, at least the western version.

Quote Originally Posted by ITViking View Post
    Spoken like someone spoiled by the plethora of 'mascot' platformer wannabes that came up in the shadows of Sonic. You clearly weren't around when Sonic 1 hit the stage. It was truly revolutionary, and although there may be better games since, they all owe their existence to Sonic 1. Period.

It's all perspective. There's always a better game from someone's perspective.
    This. I'm sure I'm not the only one who got stuck to the fiirst shop TV displaying Sonic The Hedgehog 1. It was so much fun to play. Well, to me it still is.

Thread Information