Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: 60Hz modded Mega Drive 1 black and white with AV cable

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default 60Hz modded Mega Drive 1 black and white with AV cable

    Hey, I have the aforementioned problem. I think I know what I did wrong, so I came here to clarify.

    It definitely is running in 60Hz mode.

    Here is the AV cable I'm using, which I think isn't RGB:



    This is the cable. It has a slightly different connector than in the Ebay photo, as you can see. But it also doesn't state it's RGB.

    And here is the image I am getting:



    I am looking to get this cable.

    Am I right in assuming this is the problem? My TV supports RGB on its first scart socket.

    I have done a small search in to the matter. Couldn't find an answer, so here I am. After everything I have read, I have came to the assumption that it's because my cable isn't RGB.

    Many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PsiAdster; 07-28-2012 at 01:04 PM.

  2. #2
    YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oviedo, FL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,456
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    It's got yellow and white plugs.. That's not only not a SCART plug, but that's Composite so of course no RGB.

    So yes, the one you want to get, is the right onw.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    It's got yellow and white plugs.. That's not only not a SCART plug, but that's Composite so of course no RGB.

    So yes, the one you want to get, is the right onw.
    A little condescending, but it answers my question. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Done with Sega-16 Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,611
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    You need to mod your MD with an NTSC crystal and a few other bits in order to get color in 60 Hz mode.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    You need to mod your MD with an NTSC crystal and a few other bits in order to get color in 60 Hz mode.
    Even if I use the RGB cable?

  6. #6
    YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oviedo, FL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,456
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    You need to mod your MD with an NTSC crystal and a few other bits in order to get color in 60 Hz mode.
    Not if he wants to use RGB..
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Not if he wants to use RGB..
    Good. I thought that was the case.

    Appreciate the help.

  8. #8
    Master of Shinobi omp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    1,625
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    If you want to do the colour fix, here it is http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post464092

  9. #9
    YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oviedo, FL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,456
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    He wants RGB.

    He doesn't need to do the color fix.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.


  10. #10
    urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,132
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    A vertical bar fix is more important. Those lines are much worse than simply grayscale would be.

  11. #11
    Raging in the Streets Drakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    4,395
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsiAdster View Post
    A little condescending, but it answers my question. Thanks.
    Evildragon's a very NON-condescending guy, you're just over-sensitive.
    http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    Nintendoage: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    You are like a black slave overseer working for your white liberal and PC slave master named Xander Crews.

  12. #12
    Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Turku, Finland
    Posts
    969
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Well it's obivous that you guys don't know what you are talking to someone who needs help. First of all, pal megadrive looks like that in 60hz mode when having rf, composhit or s-video cable. There is big vertical bars arround then. When rgb scar cable is used the vertical bars with color are almoust unnoticeable after 1m viewving distance where usual view distance is about 2-3m so they are not visible. So dont offer some random vertical bar fix for someone who needs only color image onscreen. The proper advice is to offer scart cable period. Stop screwing with someones money with some high tech vertical bar fixes altho it means only one trace cut on subcarrier to remove the vertical bars complete. My opinion tho is that the bars are almoust unnoticable while playing with scart rgb so normal casual gamer do have very good image while playing. Drakon seems to have affected this whole board with he's s-video thread that just relates to rgb output fix also. Please do offer casual help for casual gamers like buy a damn correct cable. By stating that the image has horrible bars when black and white makes you look amateur. Just my many cents.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

  13. #13
    Raging in the Streets Drakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    4,395
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Yeah and if you smear vasoline all over your tv screen the jailbars dissappear!

    So what if these people look "amateur"? Let these good people help him out in any way that they want to, they certainly weren't being rude. If you're going to post a question on a forum you should expect to get a lot of off topic responses. I've gone through so many off topic and often completely wrong responses to my questions on forums but I don't whine about it. If you want free help you can't expect it to come easy.
    Last edited by Drakon; 07-30-2012 at 06:11 AM.
    http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    Nintendoage: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    You are like a black slave overseer working for your white liberal and PC slave master named Xander Crews.

  14. #14
    urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,132
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MEGADRIVE Jeroi View Post
    Well it's obivous that you guys don't know what you are talking to someone who needs help. First of all, pal megadrive looks like that in 60hz mode when having rf, composhit or s-video cable. There is big vertical bars arround then. When rgb scar cable is used the vertical bars with color are almoust unnoticeable after 1m viewving distance where usual view distance is about 2-3m so they are not visible. So dont offer some random vertical bar fix for someone who needs only color image onscreen. The proper advice is to offer scart cable period. Stop screwing with someones money with some high tech vertical bar fixes altho it means only one trace cut on subcarrier to remove the vertical bars complete. My opinion tho is that the bars are almoust unnoticable while playing with scart rgb so normal casual gamer do have very good image while playing. Drakon seems to have affected this whole board with he's s-video thread that just relates to rgb output fix also. Please do offer casual help for casual gamers like buy a damn correct cable. By stating that the image has horrible bars when black and white makes you look amateur. Just my many cents.
    It's a truthful observation. Vertical bars are a larger problem, compared to no color. megadrive setup correctly on a good black and white tv wouldn't look at all like his picture. What's high tech about vertical bar fixes? Since when I have screwed with the money of anyone who's posted in this topic?

    And yes I am amateur.

  15. #15
    YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oviedo, FL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,456
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MEGADRIVE Jeroi View Post
    Well it's obivous that you guys don't know what you are talking to someone who needs help. First of all, pal megadrive looks like that in 60hz mode when having rf, composhit or s-video cable. There is big vertical bars arround then. When rgb scar cable is used the vertical bars with color are almoust unnoticeable after 1m viewving distance where usual view distance is about 2-3m so they are not visible. So dont offer some random vertical bar fix for someone who needs only color image onscreen. The proper advice is to offer scart cable period. Stop screwing with someones money with some high tech vertical bar fixes altho it means only one trace cut on subcarrier to remove the vertical bars complete. My opinion tho is that the bars are almoust unnoticable while playing with scart rgb so normal casual gamer do have very good image while playing. Drakon seems to have affected this whole board with he's s-video thread that just relates to rgb output fix also. Please do offer casual help for casual gamers like buy a damn correct cable. By stating that the image has horrible bars when black and white makes you look amateur. Just my many cents.
    And here I thought me recommending he get an RGB cable was a figment of my imagination.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •