Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rent A Hero

Megadrive Rent A Hero

Early in the life of the Mega Drive, Sega of Japan released an AM2-created RPG starring a kid in a super suit. Rent A Hero went on to achieve cult status among Sega fans, but the series has never officially crossed the Pacific. Thatís a shame, as itís a quirky title that, while not the best RPG on the console, still manages to be entertaining. Read our write up for more information.

that's one i've always wished for a translation. seems really unique, even if flawed

That's my take on it. It seems different enough and quirky enough to play through and enjoy. I just wish they'd finish that translation already.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Looks interesting; When I was a kid I always imagined how cool it would be to have a modern, realistic type of world to wander around in, & I guess I don't remember such a setting for any other Genesis RPG...

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

I'm wondering why the reviewer is so harsh on this game's graphics, as they really do seem very nicely done for a 1991 release.
    Judging by the pictures anyway.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

I wish the translation for this one was complete.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

I agree about the visuals being good. The game definitely uses assets from Sword of Vermilion. I mean, just look at the sprites and locations! And the sound effects are largely reused from SoV as well. SoV's gameplay may have sucked, but it was a good-looking (and great-sounding) game. RAH has that same feel.

This is why this game's translation must be finished, and repro carts with manual must be made!

Hmm, now I'm unsure if I was too harsh on the graphics. They clearly went for a realistic feel with the game, but all the grey/ brown/ dark green muddy colours just didn't make for such a pleasing sight after many hours of play. I haven't played too many RPGs on the Mega Drive so maybe I'm applying the wrong standards . Cause if you look at other genres, there are lots of games even pre-1991 that look better than Rent A Hero. Or maybe it's just that I prefer colourful graphics.
    It would still be cool if they did repro carts with a translation, though I'd love to see Madou Monogatari get that treatment before RAH. It has a lot less text to be translated and I found it to be a more enjoyable affair.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Did they do much more work on the translation beyond the IPS that's around? That only translates the very beginning of the game, and what's there is kinda rough ("I expect our family to develop friendship with all neighbors soon").

The translation doesn't look to be too far away anymore...

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/inde...,11918.45.html

Heh, oops -- I'd even read that thread. Maybe I got it mixed up in my head with Surging Aura?

When I first saw pics of this game, the graphics reminded me of True Lies or Soldiers of Fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    The translation doesn't look to be too far away anymore...

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/inde...,11918.45.html
    That's what I was waiting on when I wanted to review it. He's supposedly had it basically done since March, but still no release. :/ I have to say that without a translation, I found the game to be extremely tedious. It's not as combat heavy as you'd think, either. When I saw the ad for the game in I believe EGM's Sega magazine way back when, it looked like a silly, futuristic take on Sword of Vermillion. I wouldn't be surprised if its running the same "engine," but there's far less here to do, especially when you have to stumble around for it in the dark.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

You know what? It really sucks... The game? No.
    It really sucks that several complete translations are released every year for the SNES and nothing for the Mega Drive. I don't understand why. Seems that Genesis/Mega Drive is cursed for translations... People working on it usually die or just get tired of gaming when the projects are about to be completed.
    IDK, maybe Nintendo is poisoning the food of our hackers/translators or financially helping the SNES translation groups...

Or maybe our translation community just sucks.

Agostinho, do you have the ASM skills to do a script dump of any of the untranslated games? I don't, but since you're a far more proficient hacker than I am, I thought you might know how to do it. That could get the ball rolling, and then if a translator is found...

(The Genesis game I'd most like to target is Ninja Burai Densetsu, but even translating a piddly game like Osomatsu-Kun would be something. Also I think NBD is being worked on, maybe.)

Thread Information