Quantcast

Thread: ClayFighter

Whoa ClayFighter

After the blockbuster debut of Capcom's seminal Street Fighter II, it seemed that everyone was trying to cash in on the fighting game craze, no matter how bad their offering was. Interplay made a shameless bid for gamer's dollars with ClayFighter, a stiff and nearly unplayable brawler that justified small children's fear of the circus. We've a full review for you, so prepare for the worst.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-20-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Wow, this came out of nowhere...

I think i'm finally getting back to my old style. This is definitly better than the last couple reviews I've done.

Thanks for understanding Ken!
    Last edited by VinnyT; 12-18-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Clayfighter makes me sad. What a hateful game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

The one for N64 is better than the Genesis game, but I own the SNES version so I guess I win on that game. The SNES version is nothing special, but there is worse out there.
    "O Rly"

Prince of Shatt Master of Shinobi CMA Death Adder's Avatar

Default ...

(The SNES version mentions a meteor crashing to earth, holding our heroes inside, yet the Genesis version omits this for some reason)
    So far as I recall, that "extended" storyline was only featured in the special Tournament Edition of Clay Fighter, which was released a short time after the original (and only for the SNES).
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

I see. Still, what I said (sort of) stands

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

I had this as a kid for the Genesis only because of a weird obsession of mine for claymation; this also led to me buying Claymates and Harley's Humongous Adventure on the SNES, none of which in retrospect were that great. Still, it was decent if I had a friend over with an extra controller and some time to kill. I was always Taffy. I guess I just thought his design was neat.

I don't believe the source or inspiration for the game was Wallace and Gromit exactly as claymation has been around for some time. Aside from that trivial bit, I do agree with the review -- it's a mediocre game but still fun in spurts. I like the idea lots and it definitely plays better than Mortal Kombat and some others, but the Street Fighter II games, Weaponlord, and even Eternal Champions offer better graphics and gameplay. I just don't think the Genesis has the color palette to handle a convincing claymation look -- in the end they just look like lumpy sprites.

I didn't think it was a direct inspiration, but their success was probably taken into consideration when deciding on a theme.

And according to the master list, the same people who did ClayFighter helped with WeaponLord! Guess they learned alot between games.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT
    I didn't think it was a direct inspiration, but their success was probably taken into consideration when deciding on a theme.
    Meh. The California Raisins were a success before that along with a few claymation one-off movies. There was also a Christmas movie musical which was popular around that time. While that may have been a factor, there is no evidence whatsoever to draw a link there. It'd be like saying Duck Tales is the inspiration for Ghost in the Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT
    And according to the master list, the same people who did ClayFighter helped with WeaponLord! Guess they learned alot between games.
    They were developed by entirely different teams. That said, the improvement from Clay Fighter to Weaponlord is pretty staggering, but I think that's more a result of Clay Fighter just being designed around the idea of having claymation characters fight, while Weaponlord is more a concentrated attempt to build the best, deepest fighter possible on a console.

You and your.....knowledge.....

Road Rasher

I always thought ClayFighter was pretty decent for a console exclusive fighting game. It's not the greatest fighting game on the Genesis or SNES by any means, but I've played much worse ones on both systems. The announcer voice sounds very clear and crisp (way better than the announcer in the Genesis port of Time Killers which is hardly understandable at all).

Here are a few questions about the ClayFighter games:

1. Were ClayFighter: Tournament Edition or C-2: Judgment Clay (also known as ClayFighter 2) ever planned to be released on the Sega Genesis?

2. Were ClayFighter: Tournament Edition (SNES) and ClayFighter: Sculptor's Cut (N64) released only in NTSC regions?
    Last edited by Josh; 06-04-2012 at 07:23 PM.

An awful, stupid and kinda charming fighting game which will keep you entertained for a couple of days. After that, it'll wear off, because it lives on its novelty value, but it's still sub-par. My fav character is Blue Suede Goo.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

It always bothered me that Clayfighter 2 wasn't released on the Genesis, sure the games were stupid but had something funny about them. And I would have liked Clayfighter 2 on my precious little black box.

Thread Information