Quantcast

Page 146 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148 LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2217

Thread: Perpetual Movie Thread/What was the last movie you watched?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar

I watched this today - not a bad movie for what it is - a low budget affair. Kind of a cross between Red Dawn and Independence Day - with more leaning towards Red Dawn.

Just got back from seeing Venom - ignore the critics! Enjoyed it immensely. 😃👍

Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else had seen this one.

I, too, enjoyed it quite a bit. There’s a laundry list of criticisms I can come up with, but overall it was a very enjoyable experience.

Jackal, are you a comic book guy?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post

Jackal, are you a comic book guy?
    I don't know - I have a small comic book collection (most as Trade Paperbacks - X-Men, Walking Dead, IDW's Ghostbusters, etc), mostly Marvel, so yes, I think? I do like comic book movies though.

I don't know - I have a small comic book collection (most as Trade Paperbacks - X-Men, Walking Dead, IDW's Ghostbusters, etc), mostly Marvel, so yes, I think? I do like comic book movies though.
    (I do like IDW; I was quite into their TMNT series for a while).

I was mainly asking in case you could comment on how “legit” the movie was. I love Spider-Man, but I’m not terribly familiar with the minutiae of the comic lore. I knew enough of the black suit/Venom storyline to be pissed off at how Venom was handled in Raimi’s Spider-Man and I was concerned that this iteration was going to stumble into some similar pitfalls.

Man, after the way they screwed his character in Spider-Man 3, I'm happy we got something remotely like his comic counterpart. They did good - it's not perfect, but they got his look down (minus his trademark emblem) and he acts like his comic book self, so I'm happy.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Is Spider-Man in it at all?

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Not a movie but ..Generation Kill. Not sure how I never noticed this one. Very interesting. As foul as the Marines were sometimes they seemed a bit to eloquent but a minor complaint. Really drives home the insanity of war at least to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Nope. They stripped away all connections to him for this film, which is a little sad tbh. They have said they might change in a future film though.

The Future is yesterday. Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar

No, and while they wanted to somehow work out getting MCU Spiderman over into the Venomverse in the future installment..that's not looking likely anymore and even then it was always a slim chance. This movie was meant to stand on it's own. This is Sony trying to still make money on Spiderman even tho Marvel now makes the main films. Good news is, Into the Spiderverse looks fun. I just think for years to come the day of a full-on Spiderman film series is done and TBH that's good unless Far From Home sucks but not likely.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Nope. They stripped away all connections to him for this film, which is a little sad tbh. They have said they might change in a future film though.
    I'm far from a being a big comic book geek but I've always loved Spider-Man, and his were the only superhero comics I bought as a kid. As such I don't see how you can tell the story of Venom without Spider-Man. He's the one who found the symbiotic suit in the first place! I'm guessing they took extreme liberties with the origin of Venom to get passed that obvious faux pas.

I also want to take this opportunity to defend the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy. 1 and 2 are excellent films and the only mistake he made in 3 was shoehorning in too many enemies. They should have just kept it as Sandman and Hobgoblin as the main protagonists. Venom should have been held back for a possible fourth film, with or without Raimi's involvement, and there you have it, problem solved.

I'm far from a being a big comic book geek but I've always loved Spider-Man, and his were the only superhero comics I bought as a kid. As such I don't see how you can tell the story of Venom without Spider-Man. He's the one who found the symbiotic suit in the first place! I'm guessing they took extreme liberties with the origin of Venom to get passed that obvious faux pas.
    This was my primary concern with the movie also: Venom’s entire look comes from the fact that he’s essentially the monster version of Spider-man, so I didn’t know how they were going to sidestep that.

I also want to take this opportunity to defend the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy. 1 and 2 are excellent films and the only mistake he made in 3 was shoehorning in too many enemies. They should have just kept it as Sandman and Hobgoblin as the main protagonists. Venom should have been held back for a possible fourth film, with or without Raimi's involvement, and there you have it, problem solved.
    Yeah, people: Raimi’s Spider-Man movies were not bad at all, and I honestly like the third one the best... except for the last twenty minutes or so.

And Browsley, that is exactly what Raimi wanted to do, but the meddling execs at Sony didn’t think the movie could possibly succeed without Venom, so they forced him to cram in that fourth storyline. I imagine the movie was going to originally end as a cliffhanger at the cathedral, with Venom leaping at the camera.

I love SPiderman 1-2. Fave ssueprhero films of all time. Spiderman 3 was Sony's meddling. Sony messed that film up by forcing the director to put a bunch of crap in that Raimi didn't want.

Spider-Man. He's the one who found the symbiotic suit in the first place!
    Not anymore he isn't. They changed it a little why back. I'll give you a hint - he's their biggest cash cow at the moment.

Spider-Man 3 is a bloated pig with a shit version of Venom in it. Horrible movie. First two films are good. Venom (2018) might severed all ties to Spider-Man, but they pulled it off ...imo. I'd love an actual movie version of the Venom saga done proper, but Venom'18 is the closet we've got.

The Amazing Spider-Man films are garbage. Full stop. Fuck those films. You think Raimi's Spider-Man 3 has too much shit going on? Watch ASM2!

Agreed. Webb's Spider-Man films are seriously awful. The second one is so bad but somehow not at bad as most DC films.

Thread Information