Quantcast

Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149
Results 2,221 to 2,231 of 2231

Thread: Perpetual Movie Thread/What was the last movie you watched?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker troopa jr's Avatar

Ralph Breaks the Internet, and loved it.
    Waiting to see Creed 2, it will be realeased next week in Spain.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Yeah okay I know this the what have seen thread but this post is a would like to see.

I want to watch Stan & Ollie.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

The Thing 1982. Seems apt considered the recent cold weather. God I adore this film. Defo Carpenter's best.

Click image to access my channel!
    Twitter (mostly me rambling/ranting): GamerJackal. Instagram: Retro_Jackal.

Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar

Yeah, The Thing is fantastic, I can see why it is Carpenterís favorite, I canít imagine why this film was so reviled when it originally came out.

Iím torn between this one or Big Trouble in Little China being my personal favorite.

I also saw Glass.

It was... okay.

The Future is yesterday. Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Yeah, The Thing is fantastic, I can see why it is Carpenterís favorite, I canít imagine why this film was so reviled when it originally came out.

Iím torn between this one or Big Trouble in Little China being my personal favorite.

I also saw Glass.

It was... okay.
    Maybe by 1982 the original 1951 film was considered a cult classic and thought how dare they remake it with such vulgar disgusting gore or something I guess.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar

It faced criticism on two fronts. While the visual effects seem pretty tame by today's standards - back then they were deemed pretty gross and shocking so it was dissed for that.

It also was viewed as a radical remake of the original "The Thing" (full title was actually "The Thing From Another World") which was one of a small handful of what are/were considered fifties classic scifi movies. In truth it was a revision and was actually a much more faithful adaptation of both films' source - a 1938 novella by John W. Campbell (who in his day was one of the giants of science fiction literature) entitled "Who Goes There"? The novella is well worth reading and will probably give you an even greater appeciation of Carpenter's rendition of it on film.

*For what it is worth this was the first film that Mrs. Armitage and I saw in a theatre after we got married.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 02-01-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post

*For what it is worth this was the first film that Mrs. Armitage and I saw in a theatre after we got married.
    Interesting, do you remember what you guys originally thought of it when you came out of the theater?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar

Interesting, do you remember what you guys originally thought of it when you came out of the theater?
    We were both impressed - we are both scifi and horror geeks. I probably liked it a bit better since I had read the novella in junior high while Mrs. Armitage had never read it.

The Future is yesterday. Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    It faced criticism on two fronts. While the visual effects seem pretty tame by today's standards - back then they were deemed pretty gross and shocking so it was dissed for that.

It also was viewed as a radical remake of the original "The Thing" (full title was actually "The Thing From Another World") which was one of a small handful of what are/were considered fifties classic scifi movies. In truth it was a revision and was actually a much more faithful adaptation of both films' source - a 1938 novella by John W. Campbell (who in his day was one of the giants of science fiction literature) entitled "Who Goes There"? The novella is well worth reading and will probably give you an even greater appeciation of Carpenter's rendition of it on film.

Eh, I don't think Rick Bakers The Thing visuals effects are tame at all. They are still great and still rather creative and shocking to those who see it the first time. Even me who has seen thousands of horror films of the era and grew up on them they still amaze me. Baker's work stands the test of time. The head ripping off the body and turning into the spider still looks creepy as hell.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Cue one of my favourite lines in the film...

Thread Information