Quantcast

Page 1 of 157 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpetual Movie Thread/What was the last movie you watched?

Death Adder's minion

Default Perpetual Movie Thread/What was the last movie you watched?

Of course, I'm a Sega freak. But all my life, I've been about as big a Movie freak as I have a Sega freak.

So, here goes.

What are your 10 favorite movies and why? I know it's hard to narrow it down to 10... ...I did the best I could for myself.

10: The Big Boss
    -----
    A lot of people consider Enter The Dragon to be Bruce Lee's masterpiece, but I feel otherwise. This is still the best martial arts movie of all time. Even though it's just Bruce taking off, this movie is still his (and Raymond Chow's) greatest effort. The storyline might not be much, but the feeling you get from watching this movie makes up for it. Not to mention the badass fight sequences...

09: This Is Spinal Tap
    -----
    I never get tired of this movie. I'm a metalhead, and seeing the dumb antics of a metal band, albeit not a real one, dosen't get old. I think the only scripted scene in the entire movie was the "Stonehenge" gag. Just goes to show you the power of British Improvisation.

08: Jackie Brown
    -----
    Yeah, yeah, I know Jackie Brown is basically Diet Resivoir Dogs. The storyline and how the problem is solved is very entertaining and interesting to watch though. There are a few funny moments as well.

07: Saving Silverman
    -----
    Saving Silverman is a dumb movie, but nonetheless one of the most fun movies you'll ever see. It seems everyone can enjoy this film, from 8 years old to 80 years old. Through the classic comedy lies what really isn't a bad message at all: There's a special someone for everyone.

06: Princess Mononoke
    -----
    Princess Mononoke is Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece, eaisly the best anime movie ever. This was my favorite movie at one time. Even though I can't stand most anime, Hayao Miyazaki has a way with words, and an even better way with imagery. This film is his baby all the way. A captivating story sets the place of the movie, while deeper meanings are conveyed.

05: UHF
    -----
    This movie, simply put, never gets old. One of the reasons the film is so funny is because the whole movie is really just a big joke. A big joke about other jokes. There are plenty of gags that simply wouldn't fly today. Blind man with a Rubik's Cube? Try pulling that off in today's PC world!!!

04: Donnie Darko
    -----
    How can you not be captivated by some way when you watch this? Jake Gyllenhaal does an excellent job at acting out the title character. This film makes me think for hours on end about endless scenarios to both Donnie's life and mine. Although I've heard that liking this movie is an accquried taste, I haven't met too many people that don't like it.

03: Pink Floyd - The Wall
    -----
    Yeah, non-Floyd fans might not get this one. This movie has some of the best symbolism and imagery ever to captivate an audience. This movie is a lot like how I imagined the album the first time I ever heard it. Every time I watch this movie, I notice something different, or make some sort of connection I didn't know about before. Let's not forget that it's based on one of the greatest Concept Albums of all time.

02: Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
    -----
    Stanley Kubrick is one of my favorite directors, and I'm probably the only person who dosen't think A Clockwork Orange or 2001 is his masterpiece. Hardly ever can a person make a political movie that's scary and entertains at the same time. Kubrick really hit the nail on the head here. Hard. Peter Sellers shines through, and the title character is myster-hilar-ious. The movie really makes you think, plus: I really like the name.

01: Pulp Fiction
    -----
    Quentin Tarantio is, simply put, my hero (aside of Sonic The Hedgehog, that is). Ever since I was two years old, I've wanted to be a filmmaker. When I saw this movie for the first time, I knew that these were the type of films I was to make. Extravagant Independent films that twist the mind, but entertain at the same time.

The storytelling in this film is probably the most amazing thing about it. Three different stories go on at the same time, and surprisingly, it dosen't bore. The stories are complex and enthralling, while visually entertaining. Probably the least-predictable movie ever made.

[/b]
    Customer: It says I have to enter my password.
    Assistance: My guess would be you have to enter your password.
    Customer: Wait a min--
    *click*

Hats off to Dr. Strangelove... big Peter Sellers fan here (although he was kinda a freakin' childish prick in real life). I must say I agree with your opinion of 2001 and Clockwork. I love Kubrick and those two are so low on my list for 1 reason per movie.
    2001 - I fall asleep halfway through everytime. All that this movie has is great effects.
    Clockwork - my mother had me watch this at a very young age, 9, yeah 9. Ever since I have considered it smut... and only smut. I liked it some when I was 14, because it was SMUT.

sooo:

Dr. Strangelove: love it to death

Legend: don't ask, me and my brother watched this every saturday ever since we were little.

Amelie: this movie is just so pretty, I like all of Jean Pierre Jeunet's films. This movie just leaves me with a nice warm feeling in the heart

ALIEN series: come on', ITS ALIEN. order of approval 1,3,4,2... I hate and love 2, I think it is the worst of the 4. Now hate on me all you want.

Jacob's Latter: yet another film me and my brother watched every Saturday. To bad he's dead now, we can't do that anymore.

I love a lot of movies, watch tons of em' all the time and have a hard time keeping track of all the ones I like. These though, well these I could watch a bagillion times and still not even think twice and watch them again. So thats why I listed these.

Das war der Hammer.

Picking a top 10 over all categories is tough, since I like so many movies I always have an easier time if we break em down into 'action' 'comedy' etc...but here goes:

-Good Will Hunting: This movie just hits it right on the head on so many levels, the way it realistically portrays friendships, depression, love, hate, and how it ultimately has all the characters, in one way or another, figure out themselves how to let go of the past and move on.

-Rocky: It's real, and it's inspirational. Rocky is real...I mean, he almosts gives up the night before the fight "I can't do it Adrian"...this is an issue that hits us all before a big event or turning point in our lives.

-Das Boot: I'm particularly fascinated by WWII anyway, and this is the best WWII movie period.

-Unforgiven: Clint's masterpiece. His best performance, his best directing, his best cast members, and all in his best genre the Western. "Well I ain't like that no more...I ain't some crazy, killin fool"....it seems like the dialogue and some of the scenes are just a big ode to all his old westerns, with obvious references to the Dollar trilogy, and Outlaw Josey Wales.

-Lawrence of Arabia: There's never really been another movie with the quality and amount of grand visual shots that this film has, and throw in the huge musical score, and you have probably the last grand epic masterpiece to have been made.

-2001:ASO
    -Barry Lyndon
    -Back to the Future
    -The Quiet Man
    -The Good The Bad The Ugly

(i didn't feel like writing anymore)

Here're my absolute top 4, followed by an unnordered list of greats.
    These four are movies I could watch an endless number of times and still find myself completely entertained.

..4) Super Troopers: Stupid fun, nothing more, but that's the whole point. Not every joke is a hit, but good god, I've laughed more than my fair share because of this movie. Comaraderie and idiot hijinks.. Definately my favourite lowbrow comedy.
    ..3) Spirited Away: An awe-inspiring picture. Miyazaki's vision is nothing short of magical.
    ..2) Big Trouble in Little China: Pure awesome. If you've seen it, I hope you agree. The Kurt Russel/John Carpenter coupling produced a number of neat films, but this is my unquestioned favourite. The characters are simply great, and the outrageous plot combined with the martial arts antics create an entertaining experience inferior to only one other film.
    ..1) Yellow Submarine: I watched this movie daily when I was 3 years old, and it still hasn't lost its charm. The animation is wonderful, the story bizarre, and the Beatles' finest fill the soundtrack. The only downside to this otherwise perfect movie is that the Beatles' themselves do not provide the voices for their namesakes in the picture.

-Terminator 2: It's full of some of the most glaring continuity errors of any movie, but damn, James Cameron knows his way around an action sequence.
    -Requiem for a Dream: Never has a movie shocked me as much as this. My first time watching this was absolutely horrifying. Impossible to forget, and as such impossible not to include on this top ten list.
    -Heat: Perhaps the greatest cast of any movie, and what a movie it is.
    -Aliens: Alien is amazing, but Aliens is the total package. It's tragic that the franchise was so crapped on after this one, culminating in the grand turd that is Alien Resurrection.
    -Donnie Darko: An intriguing movie that leaves much for the viewer to figure out on their own. which is perhaps the best way.
    -The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: For a long while I'd considered For A Few Dollars More to be the best of the trilogy, but after having watched this one again recently I was reminded of how deserving it is of being among the finest ever.

There are many others I would love to mention, but as has already been said, all-encompassing top tens are a tad restrictive.

NintendoDieScreaming, that's a great buffet of cinema treats. Peter Sellers was awesome, and I'd definately have at least one Pink Panther movie on my top 20. Spinal Tap as well. The Wall is certainly interesting.. but as Pink Floyd cinema goes, I prefer Live At Pompeii, although of course these are two very different breeds of filmmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofduct
    ALIEN series: come on', ITS ALIEN. order of approval 1,3,4,2... I hate and love 2, I think it is the worst of the 4. Now hate on me all you want.
    Alien Resurrection above Aliens..? Popcorn brainrot above action masterpiece..?! I must be in bizarro world to be reading this!

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel

Quote Originally Posted by lordofduct
    Alien Resurrection above Aliens..? Popcorn brainrot above action masterpiece..?! I must be in bizarro world to be reading this!
    Yes, I like popcorn brain rot over James Cameron Dog shit! The movie is trite, I only like the Queen in it... I hate the stupid family peace together they try to put with the little girl Newt/Ripley/and retard Space Jar Head. I hate the meandering story line and boring action. Atleast Alien 4 is pretty to watch.

Here is my reasoning for my approval in the films:

Alien: suspenseful, great acting, Ridley Scott knows how to portray a story on film... always has and always will. Even in the slow parts he can keep it interesting with the wonderful real life visuals and great atmosphere. One thing I will say about Ridley, this man makes movie dialogue feel natural. People don't stream monologues left and right in real life, his films don't have that either, he gets rid of monologues by visually telling you. Most people can't do this well. And then tack on the name Jean Pierre Jeunet who has some of the most amazing fantasy style visuals... I love his movies just for the pretty sites to look at, his and Carro's imagination a just weird and creepy... I'd love to walk around in their heads for just a minute. (watch Amelie, Delicatessen and City of Lost Children to understand what I mean. The visuals are great, story you may not like, but the visuals are things made of dreams)

Alien3: Full respect goes to David Fincher for pulling this one off. He made this film getting bits and pieces of the script every week... and first his FIRST real film he still made it work. The visuals were awesome, and the camera techniques he used were great. It brings back the great suspense of the first and adds an awesome industrial feel to it. It has to many monologues and bloated dialogue that I hate.

Alien Resurrection: The movie was fun, it had some great action scenes, good gore, LOTS of detailed Aliens to actually SEE, this was good action film (I generally don't like action films). It felt really comic book like to me, kinda like reading the Dark Horse Alien series. The action scenes are also beautiful to watch, come on that scene under the water is cool. This is stupid Candy, sometimes I am up for some candy.

Aliens: James Cameron is a prick, I hate him, I really really hate him. Don't get me wrong I like some of his films (Terminator) but this is just bleh to me. To many campy things that try to pretend they are serious. Atleast Ressurection knew it had campy scenes. AND Bill Paxton, if I ever saw that guy walking down the street I would imagine in my head smashing his face into the ground repeatedly... then cross the street because I wouldn't actually do it because I don't want to get arrested!
    I really would like to like this movie, but it just hurts to watch those damn Marines run around all Rambo style, listen to their campy lines, watch that annoying little girl, this isn't a masterpiece... this is your regular old Hollywood action film. It has been done before and will be done a hundred times again. It is why I don't watch Action films but on rare occasion!

Das war der Hammer.

You Can't Fight in Here....It's The WAR ROOM!!!

I'm more in favor of smaller lists.
    I've seen A LOT of movies, but find it difficult to pick favorites

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    My favorite of the 3 films.
    Manages to blend story and action in a way the previous 2 didn't.
    Of course this could be because I'm a fan of both Harrison Ford and the Old-Sean Connery.

Fight Club
    Say what you will about this movie.
    Wether you think that David Lynch is synonomous with 'WHAT THE F@&K'; or that it's over-rated, facist, stupid, depressing, and too dark. . .
    It's still a great movie to me with a fittingly dark social commentary.
    I also can't forget the great casting job.

Princess Mononoke
    Since this was already mentioned, I'll just skip the summary.

The CROW
    This Movie is beyond cool.
    Don't even try argue with this.

can't think of too many others.

Hooligans of the Night...Eat, Game, and be Merry
    The Game Collection

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

Somebody needs to mention Blade Runner, so I will. Its design has influenced practically everything since its release, and also fits in -- rather than the argument from those that initially trashed it -- into the film's overall theme of a paranoid world descending into total artificiality. Implicitly this is a film more disturbing than its modern cyberpunk offspring, such as The Matrix, in regards to the idea of a dystopic police state. This goes unnoticed much of the time because the idea is not overstated through dialogue the way it is in other movies dealing with the same thematic concerns.

I thought Bladerunner was nice and visually strong.
    But it felt slowmoving and weak to me.

Far from bad, and better than most other Phillip K. adaptations, but...uhhhhhh
    It feels as if someone's resting a small anvil on my head as I'm watching it.

Hooligans of the Night...Eat, Game, and be Merry
    The Game Collection

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

Many people say that. I can't say that I feel the same way -- I think it's an awesome mood movie -- but in much the same way as another sci-fi giant, 2001, it just bores the hell out of some people.

One thing that also seems to be common, and I can vouch for personally, is that the movie becomes better with successive viewings. It's one of the most thematically dense movies I've seen.

I love BladeRunner... but I already had a Ridley Scott film in my list, and I can't always pick that movie up and watch it. But it is VERY high on my list.

Das war der Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartagnan1083
    You Can't Fight in Here....It's The WAR ROOM!!!

I'm more in favor of smaller lists.
    I've seen A LOT of movies, but find it difficult to pick favorites

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    My favorite of the 3 films.
    Manages to blend story and action in a way the previous 2 didn't.
    Of course this could be because I'm a fan of both Harrison Ford and the Old-Sean Connery.

Fight Club
    Say what you will about this movie.
    Wether you think that David Lynch is synonomous with 'WHAT THE F@&K'; or that it's over-rated, facist, stupid, depressing, and too dark. . .
    It's still a great movie to me with a fittingly dark social commentary.
    I also can't forget the great casting job.

Fight Club is directed by David Fincher.

The Stupids:

Many, many years ago
    When I was twenty three
    I got married to a widow
    Pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown up daughter
    With flowing hair of red,
    My father fell in love with her
    And soon the two were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law
    And changed my very life.
    Now my daughter was my mother,
    For she was my father's wife.

To complicate the matters worse
    Although it brought me joy,
    I soon became the father
    Of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became
    A brother-in-law to dad,
    And so became my uncle,
    Though it made me very sad.

For if he was my uncle,
    Then that also made him brother
    To the widow's grown up daughter,
    Who of course was my step-mother.

Father's wife then had a son
    Who kept them on the run,
    And he became my grandson
    For he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother
    And it makes me blue.
    Because although she is my wife,
    She's now my grandma too.

If my wife is my grandmother,
    Then I am her grandchild.
    And every time I think of it
    It simply drives me wild.

For now I have become
    The strangest case you ever saw,
    As the husband of my grandmother,
    I am my own grandpa!

The Stupids...

Joan Stupid: Stanley, beware of the Drive B.
    Stanley Stupid: What's a Drive B?
    Joan Stupid: We don't know, but whatever error you make with it could be fatal.
    Stanley Stupid: [notices a bee landing on his steering wheel] What are you doing you darn bee? Can't you see I'm trying to drive? OH MY GOD, THE DRIVE BEE!

Yeah. Saw that one in theatres, I did. I am both proud and ashamed, perhaps one significantly more than the other..

..but yeah, David Fincher. I agree with you lordofduct that he did an fairly impressive job directing Alien 3 considering the studio hurdles and the fact that he had only helmed music videos previously. What I absolutely hate about Alien 3 is that by killing off Newt and Hicks, and Ripley somehow becoming host to an alien queen (bloody impossible, regardless of the film's attempt at an explanation), everything accomplished in Aliens is made worthless. But I suppose that was the point.. start the film with a massive letdown, and keep the mood bleak for pretty much the remainder, culminating in a conclusion so permanent that the very existance of an Alien 4 is utterly shameful. I do enjoy Alien 3, especially the extended cut available in the Alien Quadrilogy, but the movie is such a killjoy considering my great fondness for Aliens and the characters there in.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Nothing beats Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Nothing. Successive viewings produce extra hilarity as you catch jokes that you didn't get previously (probably because you were laughing too hard to hear).

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Meh... "The meaning of Life" is so much better... shit "Life of Brian" is better the the holy grail.

Maybe its because I've seen the movie 100 billion times since I was like 8, but yeah I like the others better.

Have you seen "Brazil" per chance... great Monty Python style humor (as its written and directed by Terry Gilliam! you know... the guy who directed the Python films and drew the art for the TV show). The movie is a twisted spoof that resembles 1984...

My favorite scene in the movie is when the main character is barrading his mother for forcing his boss to give him a promotion (as its not ethical). She continues to ignore him and eating her Ice Scream scoop looking 5 course meal in a meat ball. Just then a wall explodes behind them in the restaraunt they are in and the waitor crew rushes to cover up the mess as everyone ignores it... even though 3 or 4 people die in the explosion.

Other great films by Terry Gilliam include:
    Twelve Monkeys
    The Fisher King
    The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

I also was upset to hear that a screenplay he put together and started to film didn't get finished... it was a film about the antichrist being born and two angels are sent to watch over him and make sure he doesn't start trouble. At birth though the babies get mixed up accidently and for the first decade or so of the babies life the two angels watch the wrong kid! Hilarity certainly ensues!

Oh and if anyone dare says the "Fear and Loathing" belongs on that list is tasteless in my book.

I also find it strange that Ridley Scott is listed quite a bit on the list:
    Legend
    Alien
    Bladerunner

I wonder if anyone will name any more of his classics though for some reason most people don't recognize his name yet his movies are such huge raves (except Legend... I love Legend but so many people trash that film, I don't get why.)

Das war der Hammer.

Thread Information