Quantcast

Page 153 of 157 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 2347

Thread: Perpetual Movie Thread/What was the last movie you watched?

  1. #2281
    Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    10,250
    Rep Power
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    i saw "once upon a time in hollywood". it wasn't bad, QT clearly loves the setting and the atmosphere but it felt a little meandering until the last half. other then that, it was a fun way to spend near 3 hours.
    That was pretty much my thought, as well.

    But for a movie with so little story, it doesn't feel NEARLY as long as it actually is. All the actors do a very good job keeping you entertained.

  2. #2282
    WCPO Agent cabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    That was pretty much my thought, as well.

    But for a movie with so little story, it doesn't feel NEARLY as long as it actually is. All the actors do a very good job keeping you entertained.
    oh definitely, everyone involved did a phenomenal job acting (the little girl on set was great, and DiCaprio's switching up his talking style when in character were brilliant touches). it's a great looking movie though and the music makes it feel like short music videos intertwined with a buddy story. a different movie then i expected but i dug it.

  3. #2283
    Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    3,132
    Rep Power
    96

    Default

    Got a few old CED videodiscs in the post and made some time to watch one of them.

    The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

    Some big hitters here with Michael Caine, Sean Connery and Christoper Plummer. John Huston at the helm.
    Halfway between a buddy comedy and Lawrence of Arabia. A Cockney and a Scot signing a contract to become the kings of a remote region in central Asia. What's the worst that could happen? A bit dated now but still an entertaining adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

  4. #2284
    Master of Shinobi Thenewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,960
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    If it's a space issue, then I guess there's not much you can do about that.

    If not, I would keep them if I were you. The fact that you haven't gotten rid of them after all this time may not just be down to procrastination.
    It really was just procrastination I think tbh

    Up until last year I had a literal entire wall of VHS piled from the floor to ceiling, it was just too daunting to deal with. Its much more manageable now. At the time when I thought about getting rid of them the shops weren't offering much and my interest in film was waning so I really wasn't that motivated to deal with selling and replacing my films with DVD's and such.

    Dumb really, and even if I'd sorted it 10 years ago I could've still given them to charity, now I just have to bin them.
    Last edited by Thenewguy; 07-31-2019 at 01:45 PM.

  5. #2285
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    481
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    It really was just procrastination I think tbh

    Up until last year I had a literal entire wall of VHS piled from the floor to ceiling, it was just too daunting to deal with. Its much more manageable now. At the time when I thought about getting rid of them the shops weren't offering much and my interest in film was waning so I really wasn't that motivated to deal with selling and replacing my films with DVD's and such.

    Dumb really, and even if I'd sorted it 10 years ago I could've still given them to charity, now I just have to bin them.
    Where are you located? I'm always looking out for VHS tapes I don't have.

  6. #2286
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    4,035
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Spiderman 2
    Spiderman 3


    All out of Spiderman films to watch. Already saw FFH in theaters. And seen Verse twice in the last month. I will never ever watch the Garfield Spidey films again. S3 at least had some good moments. Its a messy film with some nuggets of a film that could have been. ASM films are shit from top to bottom.



    Life!? ... What console is that on?

  7. #2287
    Master of Shinobi Thenewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,960
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    Where are you located? I'm always looking out for VHS tapes I don't have.
    Essex in England.

    Have you joined a lot of the "free stuff" Facebook groups in your local area? VHS appear from time to time, usually they're ignored.

  8. #2288
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    4,035
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Venom. What a fucking pile of shit. Not one redeeming thing about this mess. Not a single one. CGI sucked. Hardy sucked. Story sucked. Music was nonexistent. Took over an hour of tedium to get to venom. Dull action scenes and it runs way too long. Worst superhero film since F4 in 2015.



    Life!? ... What console is that on?

  9. #2289
    Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    3,132
    Rep Power
    96

    Default

    The Way of the Gun (2000)

    Small time hoods trying to make a quick buck when they stumble onto a kidnapping scheme. The film has a great cast and a ton of quotable dialogue.


    Mean Streets (1973)

    A vastly overrated film, IMO. The principal redeeming feature is that it shows the potential Scorsese eventually grew into.


    The Long Goodbye (1973)

    Enjoyable detective-noir story largely due to the very watchable Elliot Gould as Detective Philip Marlowe. Funny, intriguing and entertaining script.
    BTW, I watched this on CED videodisc and in widescreen mode, to boot.
    One of the very few releases in widescreen for the CED format.


    The Killer (1989)

    Classic John Woo, Hong Kong action movie, with that directors trademark white dove symbolism in quite a few scenes. Not for everyone. The dubbed version is, at times, unintentionally funny.


    Hard Boiled (1992)

    Another John Woo action special. This is arguably the pick of the bunch of early Woo movies before he ventured off to Hollywood. Wall-to-wall and completely over the top gun fights. As above, the English dubbing is awful. Rather seek out the subtitled version.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

  10. #2290
    Raging in the Streets Blades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,286
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    A Better Tomorrow (1986)

    My first John Woo but not my first Chow Yun-Fat. Amazing.

    I saw Yun-Fat in Women (1985) by Stanley Kwan before, and he was great there also.

  11. #2291
    Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19,197
    Rep Power
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    The Way of the Gun (2000)

    Small time hoods trying to make a quick buck when they stumble onto a kidnapping scheme. The film has a great cast and a ton of quotable dialogue.


    Mean Streets (1973)

    A vastly overrated film, IMO. The principal redeeming feature is that it shows the potential Scorsese eventually grew into.


    The Long Goodbye (1973)

    Enjoyable detective-noir story largely due to the very watchable Elliot Gould as Detective Philip Marlowe. Funny, intriguing and entertaining script.
    BTW, I watched this on CED videodisc and in widescreen mode, to boot.
    One of the very few releases in widescreen for the CED format.


    The Killer (1989)

    Classic John Woo, Hong Kong action movie, with that directors trademark white dove symbolism in quite a few scenes. Not for everyone. The dubbed version is, at times, unintentionally funny.


    Hard Boiled (1992)

    Another John Woo action special. This is arguably the pick of the bunch of early Woo movies before he ventured off to Hollywood. Wall-to-wall and completely over the top gun fights. As above, the English dubbing is awful. Rather seek out the subtitled version.

    Oh wow, I wonder if The Killer currently featured on Netflix is a remake of that one. The one I'm talking about is a western in Portuguese. And it has the most badaas character I'ver seen developed on film. Make that out of 12,000+ films I've watched.

  12. #2292
    Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,291
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Venom. What a fucking pile of shit. Not one redeeming thing about this mess. Not a single one. CGI sucked. Hardy sucked. Story sucked. Music was nonexistent. Took over an hour of tedium to get to venom. Dull action scenes and it runs way too long. Worst superhero film since F4 in 2015.

    Spot on! Man what a piece of shit that was.

  13. #2293
    Raging in the Streets Blades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,286
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    Arrival (2016) on Mega Drive Bowsley's recommendation.

    Amazing.
    Last edited by Blades; 09-02-2019 at 07:07 PM.

  14. #2294
    The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,138
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    Spot on! Man what a piece of shit that was.
    It was terrible, but its like it didn't take itself too seriously so I'll deduct one hate point.
    Venom being a wise cracking jokester must be pretty awesome if you're 12 or something, which I guess is the audience they were going for anyway.

  15. #2295
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,014
    Rep Power
    51

    Default

    Chernobyl (2019)

    OK, so I'm cheating somewhat in so far as this is not a movie but a miniseries, but having just binge watched all five episodes I can confirm that this is one of the greatest TV productions of all time. Everything is covered here when considering the worst nuclear disaster in history. The human cost, the horror, the arrogance and secrets that kept people silent and of course the incredible bravery of the Russian people, soldiers, miners and doctors, that prevented the disaster from spreading across the European continent and killing literally millions of people. All the actors, bar one, are portraying real people who actually acted as depicted. This horror is not fiction, this horror was real and this horror could potentially happen again. This horror was Chernobyl. I cannot recommend this miniseries highly enough. If you haven't seen it yet do so at the earliest opportunity.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Game Boy appreciation thread
    By Drixxel in forum Insert Coin
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 11:55 AM
  2. Nitpickers thread
    By 16bitter in forum Insert Coin
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 05:58 PM
  3. Ryosnk selling thread
    By ryosnk in forum Sonic's Bazaar
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 06:53 PM
  4. The Official Sega-16 Haul Thread
    By dementia in forum Insert Coin
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •