Quantcast

Page 135 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2346

Thread: Perpetual Movie Thread/What was the last movie you watched?

Banned by Administrators

The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (2002)

Finally finished watching this movie last night, and it only took what, 15 days? Yesterday was the final hour of the 3:30 minute final run time, which eventually leads to the Helm's Deep battle pictured. And it's a battle I dreaded because it's more mindless spectacle of the worst kind, a bunch of random unfocused war battle shots from all over the place cut together. Honestly wish these battles were all told through exposition while we focus on more story that was cut from the book.

Since it's been 15 days of starting movie, pausing and getting side tracked, I've already forgotten my earlier thoughts. But two things stuck out during the battle that was all in the name of spectacle and little sense;

- when Orlando Bloom Elf guy surfs on a shield toward an army of enemies while firing his bow and arrow at them. This is not what long range archers do...
    - when Aragorn enraged at the death of his friend jumps over the safety of the wall smack dab in the middle of the opposing army. That looked like complete suicide and completely outnumbered/surrounded (but of course he lives).
    - Orlando Bloom with that bow seems like he's wielding a machine gun, yet after an entire night of war, he only killed 42 or so? And he got beat by the slow dwarf at 43 kills?
    - Gandolf leading the charge on a horse into an army with spears aimed at him no problemo and kicking butt with his dull old man walking stick.

Conclusion, this has to be my least fave of this Trilogy.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Are you re-watching these or is this your first time?

Banned by Administrators

Re-watching. Seen them back in the day when they were first home released and did watch both Trilogies again somewhat recent (like maybe 2 years ago?) and probably another viewing or two in between. My brother and I were never big fans of the LotR Trilogy from first viewing. So while the new Hobbit Trilogy is weaker in plot and with terrible filler, I love everything else about them, to the point that I prefer the very rushed Hobbit Trilogy (which puts me in the minority). Also, Gandolf the Grey > then Gandolf the White.

Why do you ask and which is your fave Trilogy?

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allard View Post
    Well, times they are a-changing, but Thief is as clueless as ever.
    ^
    Formerly known as -RT

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

This fortnight I've watched Mindhorn, Moonlight and Florence Foster - Jenkins. I enjoyed them all and would recommend each.

Banned by Administrators

^
    Says the guy who believes in not one conspiracy theory.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Valerian- I didn't expect much going in. It wasn't horrible but wasn't really good. Just a whole lot of meh. At least the story stayed together and there wasn't a ceaseless mind numbing ending like most movies these days. Way too much CGI overloading my senses, these days to be expected but I can't help it if my eyes and brain says this looks fake, stupid and is tiresome to watch.

Banned by Administrators

This was a good Valerian movie review I just seen an hour ago;

So far this guy seems to be my go to movie for movie reviews. Rob Ager might be another one.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

War For The Planet of the Apes

I'm a huge fan of all the Apes films but missed this one at the cinema last year and just picked it up on Blu-Ray last week. It is an excellent conclusion to the rebooted Apes trilogy (Rise, Dawn and War), a trilogy which should be used as a template for all others on how to successfully reboot a classic franchise. The makers of all three modern Apes films have shown the original classic series nothing but respect, care, love and a deep understanding of the important message the original films carried and the social commentary they imparted.

In War For The Planet of the Apes the leader of the ape community, Caesar (played by Andy Serkis with the wonderful aid of motion capture), tries to defend his family and friends from a force of soldiers led by a ruthless colonel, played brilliantly by Woody Harrelson, who has figured out a horrible truth about the virus that ravaged mankind and who alone understands the awful fate awaiting humans if Caesar's apes succeed in dominating the planet. A truly excellent film with some extremely moving scenes (I cried at the end) and if this is to be the last Apes film (hopefully not!) then the series has gone out on a wonderful high note. An absolute modern classic.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One DrunkenHigh's Avatar

Birth of the Dragon. Silly, fictionalized film based on the fight between Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man.

Of course it had to be "whitened" up for American audiences. Starring a blonde haired, blue eyed pretty boy called "Steve McKee". An obvious nod to Steve McQueen. They crammed a love story in there, making the whole basis of the fight around the freedom of McKee's Chinese love interest. They even have Bruce and Wong fighting side-by-side in the final set-piece to free the girl.

The choreography is average at best and poorly filmed. Cory Yuen kept most of it grounded but he couldn't resist those wires in a few scenes. Which looks ridiculous.

It might've been better as an original story with original characters. Basing it off a real life fight with real people made no sense. Phillip Ng wasn't very Bruce-like. Xia Yu was the standout as Wong, he was pulling off some sharp moves, and delivered a solid acting performance. Very goofy and nonsensical film.

Banned by Administrators

Animal Farm (1954)

This movie came in a search for the origin of this famous quote; "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men,..." One of the best quotes ever.

Anyway, the reason I decided to watch this was because a friend of mine brought it up on more then on occasion that he read and greatly enjoyed Animal Farm by George Orwell. He was a great drinking buddy with great sense of humor where we always had many great laughs that left us in tears.
    Last edited by Thief; 01-27-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Says the guy who believes in not one conspiracy theory.
    Implying it's a bad thing.

I love me some Deus Ex as much as the next guy, but I don't think humans are organized enough to form a global conspiracy.
    Formerly known as -RT

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

> The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    Can't go wrong with this one. One of the greatest ever.

> How to Train Your Dragon 1 & 2 (2010/14)
    Meh. Only consider these if you're in the mood for (cutesy) dragons and animation, and don't mind some "epic" CGI setpieces that didn't really stand up to the test of time (imho), as well as characters with ridiculous proportions.

Banned by Administrators

Implying it's a bad thing.

I love me some Deus Ex as much as the next guy, but I don't think humans are organized enough to form a global conspiracy.
    Where do you think money to fund wars on both sides comes from, thin air? Do you also believe in the official story of JFK & 911 too?

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Where do you think money to fund wars on both sides comes from, thin air? Do you also believe in the official story of JFK & 911 too?
    I think the wars are a profitable business on its own and don't need funding by conspiracies. As for JFK and 911, the official story is as good as any other, seeing as the only way to know the truth about something is to be there and see it with your own eyes.
    Formerly known as -RT

Thread Information