Quantcast

Page 154 of 155 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155 LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2315

Thread: Perpetual Movie Thread/What was the last movie you watched?

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

^^
    Agreed. It's one of the finest ever mini-series.

They captured everything perfectly. Had a very eerie vibe to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    ^^
    Agreed. It's one of the finest ever mini-series.

They captured everything perfectly. Had a very eerie vibe to it.
    Yes, it was genuinely terrifying, and even though I know a fair bit about the Chernobyl disaster of 1986, this series really gave a horrifyingly human dimension to it. The disaster was horrific enough, but it could have easily been much much worse!

OK so I was in the mood for some badass brutal action films of the old school variety, so I chose two Stallone flicks from different eras. Here's my report:

Rambo (2007)

The film opens by showing us two things, firstly that there is a horrific civil war going on in Burma, and secondly that an older and world weary John Rambo is peacefully living out his days in neighbouring Thailand, which I think was where he was living at the start of Rambo III as well. In a plot you could write on the back of a postage stamp, a group of American Christian Aid missionaries want to go to Burma to help the people suffering there, so they try to charter a boat ride from Rambo. He's not interested at first but, predictably, after a change of heart agrees to take them. After leaving them to their business in Burma, Rambo returns home. Very predictably the naive do-gooders subsequently get caught up in an attack on the Burmese village where they're staying. The survivors are taken captive and it's up to Rambo and a bunch of mercs to try to free them. The comically two-dimensional villains of the piece seem to be some kind of well equipped Burmese communist militia group, who engage in every act of sin imaginable just to hammer home the fact that these are real bad guys and pure scum. They rape and shoot both women and children, burn people alive, feed people to pigs, cut people's arms and legs off...you get the picture. It's one of the most graphically violent action films I've ever seen, although I have heard that it's actually been topped in the violence stakes by the newly released Rambo: Last Blood. That is very hard to believe given the brutal carnage seen in this film! Good old fashioned action movie nonsense is the order of the day here. If old school, non PC, balls out the bath, violent as fuck action fare is what you're after, this film will not disappoint!

Cobra (1986)

Stallone is Cobra, a no nonsense Los Angeles cop who is called in to do jobs where shooting first and asking questions later is the order of the day. The city is crippled by a seemingly random crime wave sweeping it in the form of a killer called the Night Slasher (clearly based on the real life crimes of serial killer Richard Ramirez, aka the Night Stalker). The random murders and rapes seem to have no motive or pattern, so Cobra is convinced that it's the work of more than one person, and boy is he right! After witnessing one of the random murders, a woman is put into protective custody to protect her from the vengeful gang of murder happy psychos that, for some bizarre reason, become obsessed with killing her. Cobra and his partner discover that somebody inside the police force is working with the gang of murderers and they must pull out all the stops to protect the witness and stop the gang in a final brutal battle with the killers. There is some great car chases and shoot outs in this film which, complete with musical montage sequences and snappy one-liners, is pure 80's adrenaline fuelled goodness from start to finish. Fans of action films, and 80's action films in particular, will enjoy this mindless romp through the genre. Crime is a disease, and he's the cure!

The 1971 Classic: The House That Dripped Blood. The anthology is very compelling thanks to the combination of story and capable cast.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

If you are into post apocalyptic films this is a very handy resource:

https://www.amazon.com/World-Gone-Wi...s=books&sr=1-1

This is an excellent (but not well known) movie in that genre:

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    The 1971 Classic: The House That Dripped Blood. The anthology is very compelling thanks to the combination of story and capable cast.
    Good choice, sir! I'm a huge fan of the anthology horror films made by Amicus studios in the 60's and 70's, and The House That Dripped Blood is a great example of the genre. The first story about Denholm Elliot's character, being haunted by one of his own murderous literary creations seemingly come to life, is genuinely scary.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Joker. Saw it on Saturday. Movie of the year for me. Smashing film.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Joker. Saw it on Saturday. Movie of the year for me. Smashing film.
    Regarding the nervous laughter aspect of the character. I watched an interview on how he based his laughter on a neurological disorder. Pretty uncanny if you ask me.

I feel sorry for this guy, imagine going through life like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

I think I enjoyed this more than the past 7 Spider-Man movies combined.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

I think I enjoyed this more than the past 7 Spider-Man movies combined.
    Woah, high praise indeed, Mr Matty! I will have to check it out after that glowing endorsement. I've gone off Spidey films in recent years, but I will give it a shot if you recommend it.

@Thierry: Yeah I saw that same interview (or a similar one). Poor bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Woah, high praise indeed, Mr Matty! I will have to check it out after that glowing endorsement. I've gone off Spidey films in recent years, but I will give it a shot if you recommend it.
    Oh boy... hopefully I didnít just oversell it.

Yes, you should check it out on Netflix, and YES I thoroughly enjoyed it... but your experience may differ.

Saw Joker today and...wow! It's fucking fantastic! Much, much better than I had expected. A very powerful film that gives the forgotten, abused and downtrodden in life a real voice. I can see now why the liberal intelligentsia do not like this movie at all, it's far too close for comfort for them. It is a masterpiece and I really mean that. 10/10 you must see it!

We also saw Joker tonight. And it was an awesome movie.

I think it will also go down as possibly the most misunderstood movie of the year. I feel like it was not so much a Joker origin story as it was a commentary on the popcorn-chugging asshats in the row ahead of us who were cheering and laughing inappropriately all the way through the movie.

Also, I was surprised by the number of dumbass parents who brought their kids to this movie. They deserve what they are all having to explain and deal with tonight.

I watched both Spider-Man Far from Home & "Into the Spider-Verse" last night mostly due to Mr.Matthews' post above.

Far from Home is so cookie-cutter, it takes no risks and is just...bland. It's not bad, and def a leg up from Captain Marvel, but it still feels like they could've done more with it. I liked the original film more.

Spider-Verse, I agree fully with MrMathews. It was great. I thought I wasn't gonna like it that much because I'll be honest, the animation seemed jarring to watch at first, but once I pasted the 10 min mark, I didn't even notice it. In all it's a solid cartoon, and def more worthy a watch than the MCU Spidey flick.

Thread Information