Quantcast

Page 3 of 155 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpetual Movie Thread/What was the last movie you watched?

I just remembered Falling Down, which is just AWESOME.

"Learn how to shoot asshole!"

And here's more random quotes from The Stupids

(Stanley and Petunia are in "Heaven")
    Petunia: You know who I miss? Mom and Buster.
    Stanley: Don't worry, they'll be here soon enough, the way your mother drives!
    (Petunia laughs at first, then quickly becomes confused)

Hail to thee, O Lord!
    Actually, it's pronounced Loyed.
    All these years we've been saying it wrong!

Well Joan, we've had a remarkable 20 minutes. We died, went to heaven, met god, and got brought back to life!
    Well, me and Buster traveled back to the age of the dinosaurs, and Buster made himself the most importantly mysterious figure of all mankind!
    Buster!
    Sorry dad!

The movie is so terrible, but it quotes so well..

I've watched a number of movies since the last post.. here's a few.

The Business - English criminals up to no good in 1980's Spain is more or less the premise here. I enjoyed the film, but as British crime cinema goes it's not the champ. There really isn't much of a sense of the scope of the criminal actions taking place.. for an operation that's supposedly large scale, it feels very miniature. Perhaps that has to do with the film's budget, or just director laziness. Still, rather an entertaining show. I give'r a recommendation.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Always a winner. The version I watched today was the horribly bastardized TV cut, and while I would hate for this version to be the one people are introduced to the film with, I really didn't mind it too terribly. I've seen the original countless times, so the movie can more or less play straight from memory. It's a funny show, this one..

National Lampoon's Lost Reality 2 - For the love of God, what a fucking waste of time. Chances are you, like me, read the title and thought to yourself, "Wow.. here's a cinema treasure!" If you like your jokes humourless and drawn out well beyond their life span, sign up today! Sure, there are a few strangely amusing segments having to do with the sickening depths people will fall to for a sweet bit o' cash, but so much of this stinky dump fails beyond imagination. The 70 someodd minutes of Lost Reality 2 are occupied by a number of fake reality TV show pilot episodes, and... I feel not like talking about this steamy turd any more.

Since my last post it has been quite a few movies I watched... most of them being rewatches. I'll post the ones I like best.

I <3 Huckabees - Damn good movie. It is a movie that loosely describes exostentialism in a very hilarious black comedy manor (not african american comedy, black comedy or dark humor... i.e. anything other then Mr. Bean that Rowan Atkinson did). It has a stellar line up of actors, a very good soundtrack and some of the best lines I've heard in a long time.

Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness - I love this series, great freaking movies every one of them. I should NOT have to describe them one bit. If you are someone who hasn't seen them you probably are someone who wouldn't like them because if you are into B rated horror flicks then this series is somewhere on your top ten list.

Man with a Screaming Brain - I was in a Bruce Cambel mood and watched this made for TV movie by him. Kind of weird, dry in a lot of parts, but has its funny moments.

Buba Hotep - still was in a Bruce Cambel mood so I watched this again... An aged Elvis is in a rest home and no one believes he is Elvis. Elvis along with JFK who has been dyed black and has a sand bag for half his brain are in a rest home which has become pray to a mummy dressed all in redneck cowboy gear. Good laughs and very far out there and unexpected script... again for the B movie lovers out there.

Corpse Bride - checked it out in the theatre. It was fun, I love Burton's stop motion capture films. This one is much more twisted then Nightmare Before Xmas and I found much more enjoyable. Still has the trite songs through out it though and nothing of the "Boogie Man" song calibur. Damn it.

Kung Fu Hustle - again I watched this... I love this freaking movie along with a lot of Chow's stuff. I recently only got into him when this movie was released. I remember I was a bit depressed over my brother dieing so I went to the movies with a friend to get my mind off of stuff. I didn't know ANY of the flicks on the roster so we snatched tickets up for "Ammityvile" I think it was or some stupid horror remake. When walking to the theatre I saw the name "KungFu Hustle" over a door and said "FUCK THIS.. I love Kung Fu, we are SO watching this." Damn good spur of the moment choice that was. I immediately DL'd it afterward and have watched it 5 more times... I just realized yesterday that I have the .sub file for it and was like HEY god damn it, all along I've been watching this with out subtitles... HA.

I watched some other good flicks, but I've bored you enough.

Das war der Hammer.

The Outsiders: The Complete Novel: One of my favorite films of all time, based on my favorite novel! The new cut has 10 minutes of cut footage restored and edited back in, and it does so much to flesh out the story more. Wonderful new soundtrack really makes this the definitive version and does much justice to Hinton's masterpiece.

Tarzan I: Got this from the Disney Movie Club, and I must admit that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've been surprised by a lot of these direct-to-video sequels, but this was definitely one of the better ones. I hope to finish the set when Tarzan comes to DVD the 18th of this month.

Boggy Creek II: Actually, it's Boggy Creek III, but nobody saw that one, so it's fine. Although, no one saw this one either.

Anyway, it was the MST3K version, making it better by about 70x. One of my favorites, mostly because I could actually get into the story, making the jokes even better.

From Dusk Till Dawn: I've seen it a hundred times and I never get tired of it. Awesome movie.

Aliens SE: I understand why Cameron cut all the extra footage, as it slows the film down for theater goers. For Alien fans though, it adds so much to the story. Got it for only $10 at Wal-Mart too!

Saw II: Hmm.. pretty gritty. Pretty gritty indeed. I don't really feel like going into much detail, but if you find yourself strangely entertained by the macabre, watch'er. I think it would have benefitted from deeper character backstory, but hey.. it's good as is.

Flightplan: GOOD GOD. It's mildy entertaining despite its extreme absurdity. The plot is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever come across, and Jodie Foster's constant exclamations of "Where's my daughter! Where are you hiding her!" are nails hammered straight into the pain center of your brain. Watch it if you must, but please don't pay money to witness this dungball.

Thursday I went and saw the movie "Pride and Prejudice" with my friend Tara. The movie was great... full of witty lines, cute situations and a love story unsimilar to your average ones found in most stories.

I myself have not read the book, but have heard of it for year...

gotta go, damn work.

Das war der Hammer.

Last Thursday I watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds as well as Castle In The Sky, two awesome Hayao Miyazaki films. For anyone that gets the channel, Turner Classic Movies is going to be playing Miyazaki movies every Thursday night for presumably the next few weeks.

I'd never seen Nausicaa before.. I thoroughly enjoyed it, possibly even more than Castle In The Sky, which as well is an fantastic show. Something that was especially neat about the showing of those movies on Thursday was the fact that they showed both the dubbed and subtitled versions back to back. Hopefully they'll continue that for the Thursdays to come.

I came into Nausicaa about ten minutes in, and for awhile I really wasn't too intrigued by it.. but before I knew it, an hour had passed, and I was completely engrossed. For a story that is ultimately an environmentalist tale, it's not preachy or pretentious at all. I was able to fill myself in on those first ten minutes with the subtitled version of the film that followed, and immediately inconsistencies in the translation were obvious.. for probably the best example, take Poison Jungle vs. Sea of Decay -- two different names for what are exactly the same thing in the film, the only difference being the translation in the dubbed versus that of the subbed. At any rate, amazing film. I highly recommend it.

Castle In The Sky I had seen before, but not subtitled like the one I ended up watching that night. There are some incredibly charming characters in this movie.. one of my favourites.

If you happen to get Turner Classic Movies, and you're even vagually interested in the animated greatness of ol' Miyazaki, definately check out the Thursday film chaos.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I've tried to watch Miyazaki films but they're all over my head and I can't get into them so I end up making MST3K style wisecracks until my friends kill me. I'm more into really corny retro-anime though, mostly because I grew up with it.

I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith the other day, it was pretty much nonsense but there was enough mindless action and goofy puns to at least keep it interesting occasionally. It had a really slow start as well. I wouldn't reccommend it.

V for Vendetta is one of my new favorite movies. A story that flows nicely, even with a couple slow parts. Awesome visuals, and the underlying, current messages make it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT
    V for Vendetta is one of my new favorite movies. A story that flows nicely, even with a couple slow parts. Awesome visuals, and the underlying, current messages make it even better.
    I could do without the Wachowski's manipulating comic book stories to preach to the masses whats right and whats wrong. Still want to see it though at least for the eye candy. Had enough of their multiculturalist nonsense with the Matrix movies to last an eternity, but it was good for sensory overload.

I just watched Ong-Bak The Thai Warrior over the weekend. Pleasantly suprised, this movie was pretty funny and it was refreshing to see a martial arts picture without any wirework whatsoever. Tony Jaa is an amazing fighter and he sure can jump.

Also watched House of Flying Daggers, speaking of wirework, I don't mind it when its done well, and this movie was fantastic. I like these modern kung-fu movies where the storyline is actually intriguing enough to keep your attention in-between fight scenes. Plus, Zhiyi Zang is so freaking smoking hot isn't she?

Get this, I watched Heavy Metal for the first time this weekend. lol. This was just crazy, I really liked it. Gratuitous violence and sex/nudity...what more can a guy ask for?

Also watched Rambo III for the thousandth time...love this flick.

I'm dissapointed with King Kong, I thought it was just too much....everything. I thought just about every character was horribly miscast, and I have no interest in Naomi Watts whatsoever....I thought Jessica Lange played up that part alot better in the '76 version. Then there was the bug scene in the pit....yeah I get it by this point, everything is supposed to be huge...got it Peter Jackson, can we please move the movie forward now? uhgg....just didn't care for it too much.

Freaks: The movie seems to be alot of random scenes thrown together, but the last 15-20 minutes make this just an awesome movie. The ending has a real Hitchcock-like feel to it. After I watched it, I found that the movie was actually a 3rd longer, but it was so disturbing (well, for 1932) that alot was cut, making this only a little over an hour long, and it explains why it feels to choppy.

Thread Information