Quantcast

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega CD systems repair thread

Co-Creator of the MegaAmp Raging in the Streets villahed94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I'm reaching the end of my fuse (no pun intended) with this fucking piece of shit known as the Model 1 Sega CD. It's a bitch to do ANY sort of testing with it, because there's always a Genesis to hold up, the cables for the disc drive are very short and it's impossible to reach any of the switches if the disc drive is even half way assembled, let alone completely. Even after doing those mechanical fixes, the fucking thing still can't lift the laser all the way up, it gets stuck after lifting it just a little bit. On top of that, I still haven't figured out what is wrong with the laser sled. By itself, the motor always keeps spinning, even after the sled hits CD track 0 position. Only when I push the switch/flag/thing manually, will the sled stop and the laser tries to read something. So far the spindle hasn't spun at all, in any of my tests. And no, there isn't a single problem with the laser sled pushing that switch. The little fucker STILL doesn't stop. Only when I push the flag myself will the sled stop.

I'd feel better to just take a hammer to the fucking thing and be done with it. The Model 1 SCD is a piece of fucking shit... This is easily the worst lemon of a console I've ever worked with. Nothing else I've tried fixing has had so many little and fucking IRRITATING problems.
    Man, chill off... Would it help if I took some pics of what the sled is supposed to do?

Mega Amp: The reference audio circuit for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

I'm reaching the end of my fuse (no pun intended) with this fucking piece of shit known as the Model 1 Sega CD. It's a bitch to do ANY sort of testing with it, because there's always a Genesis to hold up, the cables for the disc drive are very short and it's impossible to reach any of the switches if the disc drive is even half way assembled, let alone completely. Even after doing those mechanical fixes, the fucking thing still can't lift the laser all the way up, it gets stuck after lifting it just a little bit. On top of that, I still haven't figured out what is wrong with the laser sled. By itself, the motor always keeps spinning, even after the sled hits CD track 0 position. Only when I push the switch/flag/thing manually, will the sled stop and the laser tries to read something. So far the spindle hasn't spun at all, in any of my tests. And no, there isn't a single problem with the laser sled pushing that switch. The little fucker STILL doesn't stop. Only when I push the flag myself will the sled stop.

I'd feel better to just take a hammer to the fucking thing and be done with it. The Model 1 SCD is a piece of fucking shit... This is easily the worst lemon of a console I've ever worked with. Nothing else I've tried fixing has had so many little and fucking IRRITATING problems.
    Could you do these steps for us to help:
    1. Insert console on.
    2. Leave console to open state with a disc of any kind of CD.
    3. Tell us what happens when you try to close the lid with your controller.
    4. Tell all the little moments that you may see happening when lid is closing or is NOT happening.
    5. I believe you can insert CD to spindle which has hooks to keep CD in place without top cover.
    5. Please would you do list of like this for us to be able to better read your problem.

By the way you sound like your ribbon cable is dead. I mean if you have working laser, working motor, working controller chip then your next test is the damn ribbon cable.

And man don't keep this for your self, we rest are as happy as you when it gets to fixed.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MEGADRIVE Jeroi View Post
    Could you do these steps for us to help:
    Sure.

1. Insert console on.
    Do you mean, turn the console on?

2. Leave console to open state with a disc of any kind of CD.
    I've used CD-Rs and legit copies.

3. Tell us what happens when you try to close the lid with your controller.
    I didn't know you could use the controller to close the disc tray... I'd just reset or power cycle the console.

Anyways, what happens is the tray closes, waits a few seconds, then opens the tray again. I've looked inside and the laser assembly gets stuck after it lifts a little bit. Sometimes the tray itself gets stuck, but only recently has that been happening, since I've had to remove the tray a few times.

4. Tell all the little moments that you may see happening when lid is closing or is NOT happening.
    By "lid", do you mean tray? This isn't a Model 2. I just explained it above, except for the sled motor that doesn't stop spinning. I don't know what isn't happening. This is my first Model 1 and the whole thing has been new to me.

5. I believe you can insert CD to spindle which has hooks to keep CD in place without top cover.
    What do you mean by this?

5. Please would you do list of like this for us to be able to better read your problem.
    My ability to follow instructions is only limited by the instruction giver's grasp of the English language. No offense, but at times you're difficult to understand.

By the way you sound like your ribbon cable is dead. I mean if you have working laser, working motor, working controller chip then your next test is the damn ribbon cable.
    There was actually a cut trace on the laser assembly ribbon cable, but I've long since fixed it. So far it's made zero difference. I couldn't figure out the silk screening so I don't know exactly what signal I patched. It was a trace on the edge of the ribbon cable. The rest of the traces seem to be fine.

And man don't keep this for your self, we rest are as happy as you when it gets to fixed.
    Umm, so far it's just you and omp who have been helping. Even then, not much progress has been made. I appreciate the help, but it's difficult to work towards a fix when neither of us seem to understand our terms and words for things. I've used words like "gear strip", "archimedes screw", "laser sled", "pick up guide", "laser assembly" and others, but I get the feeling the rest of you haven't a clue what I'm talking about. What would really help the repair of this shitty Model 1 Sega CD, is if you guys would give me your terms for the parts of the system. Like for instance, the little plastic holder thing that the laser lens resides in. Is there a real term for it? Or is it actually called a laser sled?

1. test continuity with multimeter, does all the ribbon cable traces work? It may be that you fixed one but check all the rest if first signal goes through then chip wait for return signal and laser is dead again.
    2. You have said that spindle motor spins but how about the lifting motor? Check with multimeter what it reads while doing working. If signal suddenly stops follow signal bath and find your broken component.
    3. If there is cap, blow some icecooler into it so that it freezes and try again, if suddenly you get more lifting you can be sure that cap is broken.
    4. Poke the darn multimeter to everywhere you can to see if leads that don't go to ground have zero voltage or summit. If there is zero voltage in some lead then fucking yeah you got something broken before that part.
    5. Remember those darn surface mount resistors can be dead also. Check them with continuity.

There is some more advices, really hope that you find something broken on controller circuitry. I hope that it's not those controller chips tho.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

I can go check that ribbon cable for ya, but it probably works fine.

Now, before we start testing every little component on the laser assembly, you should know that the laser sled motor's problem seems to stem from the push switch. I don't know if you'll understand my words here, but there is a tall, transparent (see-through) pushable momentary switch, which seems to operate on resistance (no push = 15k resistance, gradual push = 14k to 0.8k). This switch, gets pushed by the laser sled when it reaches CD track 0 position (right near the CD spindle). Now, the odd thing there, is if the switch is pushed by the laser sled, the sled motor doesn't stop spinning. If I manually push the switch myself, the sled motor stops wherever I want it to. The switch itself seems to still work, I tested it for continuity/resistance. I think the problem stems from the sled not pushing the switch hard enough.

For those of you with working SCD Model 1s, could somebody take a picture of the laser sled, specifically the part of the plastic housing that pushes this switch, which tells the sled motor to stop spinning? I need to know if there's yet another broken plastic object inside this thing.

Though for that matter, I'd like to know what tells the motor to spin in the opposite direction. In fact, I'd like to know a lot of things about the CD drive in this thing. Too bad that information seems to be unknown...

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

I'm reaching the end of my fuse (no pun intended) with this fucking piece of shit known as the Model 1 Sega CD. It's a bitch to do ANY sort of testing with it, because there's always a Genesis to hold up
    You could try building some kind of cable to connect the genesis to the Sega CD without it having to be sitting on top, similar to a JAMMA cable but with a different connector.

Need help.

Sound is humming, even if I play a cartridge game.
    If I separate megadrive (jap va6) from sega cd, cartridge sound is clear.
    Sega CD audio output alone is clear no noise.
    Sound from megadrive + sega cd have humming noise, from mono or stereo , playing discs or cartridges.
    Already tried another power brick, same problem, another genesis(model 1 va6 all metal conector) , less noise but still there and noticeable wile playing.
    Sega CD is model 2 JVC optics.

I have another sega cd model 2 that I use with my genesis , same power bricks , sound is clear no noise.

Hero of Algol

That's strange... Maybe the expansion slot needs a clean up??? IDK, I have no real idea.
    We'll have to wait for the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by joaopaul0 View Post
    Need help.

Sound is humming, even if I play a cartridge game.
    If I separate megadrive (jap va6) from sega cd, cartridge sound is clear.
    Sega CD audio output alone is clear no noise.
    Sound from megadrive + sega cd have humming noise, from mono or stereo , playing discs or cartridges.
    Already tried another power brick, same problem, another genesis(model 1 va6 all metal conector) , less noise but still there and noticeable wile playing.
    Sega CD is model 2 JVC optics.

I have another sega cd model 2 that I use with my genesis , same power bricks , sound is clear no noise.
    After cleaning the expansion slot in Sega Cd1 if no help use the FAQ: Replace caps.

Guntz: Can you install a momentary switch that's easier for it to activate? Maybe the laser assembly isn't hitting the switch hard enough for some odd reason.

I just started working on old cd stuff myself starting with the pc engine cd. Sure enough after a couple of weeks my pce cd drive broke but I found the problem it's the middle gear for moving the laser assembly that broke. Luckily keith courage on pcenginefx sold me some gears that remove the need for the middle gear and once all the mods were performened my pce cd drive is revived and running like it's new. Now my pce cd drive will probably never break because I removed the middle gear entirely which is the only real hardware fault of the system. I'm now curious about all the hardware faults of my other favourite early cd system the sega cd, I want to know all the issues and fixes before I pick one of those up.
    Last edited by Drakon; 09-12-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Guntz: Can you install a momentary switch that's easier for it to activate? Maybe the laser assembly isn't hitting the switch hard enough for some odd reason.
    I don't know what kind of switch would work... I thought maybe the switch already there could be replaced.

The other problem is, I don't know where the laser is supposed to sit in order to read the disc properly. Setting up a new momentary switch could be extremely difficult.

I'm now curious about all the hardware faults of my other favourite early cd system the sega cd, I want to know all the issues and fixes before I pick one of those up.
    This thread is a pretty good place to start... Keep in mind, the biggest problems with the Model 1 Sega CD are all mechanical. Unless you have my Sega CD, then everything is broken.
    Last edited by Guntz; 09-12-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Wildside Expert

Does anyone have schematics for the Model 1 and Model 2 Sega CD?

Probably not.

Only when I push the switch/flag/thing manually, will the sled stop and the laser tries to read something.
    That sounds like you need to replace your pinswitch. It seems your console cannot anymore push the switch enough. I think that the controller here uses inverted input pin as if you provide zero it output +5 and starts spinning the motor. Usually those controller chips has logic area what they think is zero and what the think is +5, usually 2,3V to 5V is accepted as 1 and lower than those is translated as 0. So you need to check in what pin in the controller is going to the flag switch and measure it's voltage while you push the switch. The compare the voltage while tray pushes the switch and see the difference in results. This way you can measure if the tray actually pushes enough or not. Also this might be a good thing to get to understand what kind of chip is the controller cause we might come up a replacement for it in the future. It might be a quick solution to test with hot clue to pin switch/knop in tray if you can this way add more push for the tray. If your input is 0 and the laser lights up then the input is inverted input. If how ever the voltage is more than 2.3V then is assume it's driving +5 for the chip without inverter. If it's that I think you are using CHIP enable CE signal with the variable resistor switch and when you provide +2,3v the chips starts to read disc. How ever CE might be inverted also and if you chip starts to read while lower than 2,3V you can assume that CE is inverted and will cause the the reading process to start.

And yes you surely make it sound like the tray sled is not pushing hard enough. In the FAQ video one had to fix console via rubber bands so that the sled stays in correct angle to provide enough push for the flag switch. It seems that tray is not aligned with the motors correctly so that it don't drive sled further enough which I tho think is not the case as your tray seem to close to the end. Then something perhaps flag switch is not in correct place or is not smooth anymore? Monday model cd1 maybe?

I don't know what kind of switch would work... Setting up a new momentary switch could be extremely difficult.
    The switch is momentary switch and it may have resistor value also which makes it a variable resistor momentary switch.

You need to see what kind of resistor value switch is the variable type switch and you said already that it is 15k or something. So then wire on-on switch to replace the on board switch and add your resistor in series of the switch. This way you provide 0 ohm or 15k value and it would behave same as on board switch. This way you can manually add console to read state and then see the other issues that might be on the reading difficulties.

About the laser not lifting enough, there can be couple reasons for it, the lifting motor is not working properly or something between motor and laser assembly that causes this or signal that causes driver to drive motor is bad and something else on board then causes drive signal to go zero too early.

About the making testing easier:

Buy couble of these: http://www.altex.com/60-Pin-Edge-Con...0-P146824.aspx

Then harvest some IDE cables and solder them (very hideous task but is rewarding in the end) to connectors. Then remove the connector bay on CD1 and add one side to CD1 board and another side to Genesis. This way you can test the gear without need of Genesis sit on top of the machine.
    Last edited by MEGADRIVE Jeroi; 10-13-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks for the huge help jeroi, I'm happy to say I've finally resolved every major issue I've found with this Sega CD. Here's the list of things I fixed/replaced:

- The plastic clips holding the laser assembly pick up thing in place (there's two screws there)
    - The laser sled switch (pulled from a parts SCD2)
    - The belt (used a temporary rubber band. I did this as a last resort, after trying every other possibility. Thankfully, it was the fix)

The tray, helix screw, belt motor, spindle motor, sled motor and laser all work properly, this system plays games pretty well too. Thanks a ton for all the help guys!

There's just one last problem left, from what I see. The Sega CD turns on by itself after being plugged in, regardless of there being a Genesis or not. The Sega CD will also not turn off after the Genesis has been powered off. This SCD seems to have a replacement fuse... Villahed told me the SCD1 shouldn't turn on by itself, he suggested cleaning the expansion slot connection. Anything else I should check?

Thread Information