Quantcast

Page 389 of 451 FirstFirst ... 289339379385386387388389390391392393399439 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,835 of 6763

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Ok got the screenshot I was referring to earlier:

The hand of the character at the left (RIP) seems to overlap a part it shouldn't, and the guy at the right seems to be affected inconsistently by translucency. I was wondering what kind of trickery could behave like that (the speculation given here was the coprocessor but I dismissed that as ridiculous >.>), but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a mock-up too.

Not confirming it as mock-up but wouldn't rule it out either.

Edit: you know, knowing what the coprocessor can do would help too <.< So far it was implied it only does PCM but who knows.
    Last edited by Sik; 02-22-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

That screen is a mess, composition-wise... It just reads really bad. I wonder if the idea is to have that vertical column spinning around the whole elevator. As it is, it would be hard to see enemies and player sprites. Also looks like an item drop on right in front of the enemy on the right. If it had dropped just to the left, you wouldn't be able to see it.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Even if this game becomes a massive collective mega-hit worth 1000+ a copy
    I was never a rarities collector, to begin with. Collectibles are everywhere, as are the kickstarter projects with similar appeal.

I have a steam account with 2,200+ games, Everdrive MD, multiple retro consoles, dozens of accessories for each platform; I get the feeling it will hardly move the needle for me even if it's the best thing ever. And if it is, I can still buy it IF it really gets released.
    Also, I have other hobbies now (five years is a lot of time); such as riding my motorcycles and that takes a good chunk of my weekends; so I feel like I have way more games than time to enjoy them. And even less time to keep up with this bs.

And, really, the special value I saw in this project had much more to do with the people involved in it and the idea of building piece by piece a great game which would benefit from the historical evolution of gameplay and level design.
    Now I see it as something which was used to push people around and fool many of us. It doesn't give me a good feeling anymore.

About his technical prowess, I don't question it but I doubt about it's effectiveness in the long run.
    I don't develop games, but I've developed software for more than a decade (no big deal, I know). I've worked in different companies which are well respect in my area and I currently lead a group of nine developers; day in, day out.
    No amount of technical expertise will suffice if you have no social skills and don't know how to create a healthy environment for your team. And he seems to fit the bill right here.
    Also, the lack of social interactions doesn't make you better over time, quite the opposite. I've seen several very good developers who got so messed up with their personal stuff they couldn't do shit at work anymore.
    IF he is really working as hard as he said in the last year interviews, alone, in China, during overnights and all; man, that's something to cause concern instead of good expectations.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Ok got the screenshot I was referring to earlier:

The hand of the character at the left (RIP) seems to overlap a part it shouldn't, and the guy at the right seems to be affected inconsistently by translucency. I was wondering what kind of trickery could behave like that (the speculation given here was the coprocessor but I dismissed that as ridiculous >.>), but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a mock-up too.

Not confirming it as mock-up but wouldn't rule it out either.

Edit: you know, knowing what the coprocessor can do would help too <.< So far it was implied it only does PCM but who knows.
    Yes, I remember when you said this screenshot was weird.

I see several issues:
    - One of the dithered layers gets under the fat man's leg and the item on the floor.
    - That same dithering layer doesn't exist anymore in the upper portion of the scene.
    - The woman's left arm appears to be over a part of the elevator it simply could.
    - The "transparent" part's color isn't affected by the yellow floor, lol.
    - There's some sort of color gradient applied to the floor which looks suspicious.

Doesn't look real.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The thing to keep in mind with all of the footage and screenshots so far is that they're all doctored with layers of effects on top of what may or may not be un-doctored underneath. Where as pretty much every other homebrew game starts off with raw screenshots and video when it's announced and more and more is unveiled as progress continues.

I hope that the game/engine/build isn't being scrapped and more or less built from scratch again and again, as it continues to fail to reach what is shown in screenshots and video so far, let alone the original tech demo.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

WaterMelon Road Rasher XGoldenboyX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    TL;DR;
    I don't think Fonzie will fail to deliver, but he could definitely have done it already if he wasn't alienating his team and the customers about the true status of things.

The funny thing is, I have no doubt about his effort, and that he's working his ass off to make this happen. My problem has always been how he alienated everyone around him with his "need to know" policy. Fonzie somehow deem himself the only capable of doing this or that and will not share the burden. I don't know if it's out of pride, out of jealousy, or insecurity.

Fonzie's biggest beef with me has always been that "I'm too reactive". But if we look at the pattern that's exactly how he conducts his business with the customers: Let the complaints and unrest mount to a dangerous level, then release some update to "calm the masses".

You keep adding these kinds of attitudes and top with a pre-historic managerial authoritarianism, where "I'm the boss and you should obey me because I outrank you. And I can verbally abuse my employees because they are nothing without me" is the norm (Maybe other French in the forum can say whether this hierarchical pattern is common in France, but I think it's his isolated character) then you have a recipe for disaster, be it short or long term.

WM is so lucky to be in the niche that deals with our fond memories and nostalgia, enough to build such loyalism that people are okay to put up with being treated like second-class customers, all for the greater good. In any other market, WM and Fonzie would have been totally crushed by now.

Given all of these things (and many more that I rather not discuss so that I don't turn this into a bashing rant), I was left with no choice but to leave, considered that he wasn't going anywhere, and I really needed to get back my ability to sleep.

Whether Fonzie realized the importance of the role I played in the company, I have no doubts - one would have to be blind not to notice -, but whether he's mature enough to admit it, that remains to be seen. I seriously doubt it.

Bravo, Barone for taking action and defending what's yours. Even if this game becomes a massive collective mega-hit worth 1000+ a copy, I don't think the stress is worth it. Just like my leaving WM, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Even the video, I honestly believe it could have just been animated. I've seen Fonzie working and he's capable of great things, when it comes to mock-ups. So anything that's meant to look like a photograph of the game on a screen, or even a scan of a magazine... he is VERY skilled with graphical tools.

That said, Luis claims to have played it, and I believe him... but yeah. Either Fonzie has a heck of a NDA, or we're really missing the evidence of people who tested it.

All the best, people!
    Yeah! Pretty much all of this. I literally have tons of material I could share from the game but I cant and always have been asked not to share anything or ask before doing so. I have always respected NDA's. But this WM practice of so much ush uhs ! does not apply for a Indy game of this magnitude. Certainly not when it comes to sharing updates , asset's progress that are common practice to have people interested and enjoying seing such progress. It's rediculous.

That said, I've had some news that some work and corrections are being done to the Manual's english text's and that allot of interesting things are in it regarding the game. Also full speed ordering all the parts to assemble the games and making sure all is ready is also one of the last news I got from the horses mouth, including his expressed will to release the game this year.

The latter sounds good.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    The latter sounds good.
    Until you realize it's still only February and Paprium might get a Christmas release meaning we'll get it in the mail in.. February.

More like summer

Summer sounds great. I hope that is the date.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

September 2017, February / Mars 2018, Summer 2018... i can understand delay, but need informations.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

A simple official update of "Expect a 2018 release" is all that's needed. If he can't commit to a f'ing YEAR then it wont be long before hunting a refund. Its not a difficult concept.

Quote Originally Posted by DojoDan View Post
    A simple official update of "Expect a 2018 release" is all that's needed. If he can't commit to a f'ing YEAR then it wont be long before hunting a refund. Its not a difficult concept.
    They did. It was 2014. I don't mind waiting as long as the end product justifies the wait. I do want a release date by the end of this year though. I've been expecting this for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    Summer sounds great. I hope that is the date.
    I hope!

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I fully support you, Barone, and anyone else claiming a refund. I hope Fonzie delivers. As for me, I don't consider myself a part of WM any longer and haven't been in a very long time. There is still an unannounced project I spent a lot of time and love into a few years ago which I think will be further developed after Paprium is out. But I don't think I have either the time or will to contribute any more to that. I can develop Mega Drive games without WM .
    It is sad as I was pretty much the art and animation director of this "secret" major project, having produced tons of assets and animations between 2013 and 2014. I cant believe we are in 2018 and nothing has been unveiled yet about it. Let me know if you need help for your future megadrive games.

Thread Information