Quantcast

Page 349 of 349 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349
Results 5,221 to 5,225 of 5225

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Teen Idle Raging in the Streets Gogogadget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    As a noob on all these technical concepts, I always found PAL inferior, graphical- and musicwise.
    But then again, in my mind PAL is supposed to run on 50Hz, NTSC on 60Hz.
    PAL is 50hz, and NTSC is 60hz. Not really your mind that's just how it actually is.

That being said, the difference between 50fps and 60fps is pretty minimal. Especially when the game logic isn't tied to the framerate.

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

It would seem that if games back in the old days were actually programmed with PAL specs they should have been superior to the NTSC counterparts. As, however, most of the time they were just the NTSC title shoved into a PAL cart they looked and ran slower giving rise to the myth (which I used to believe) of PAL's innate inferiority.

As this is what often happened though, it's probably fair to say that in real terms NTSC is the overall superior option in terms of historical canon.

Teen Idle Raging in the Streets Gogogadget's Avatar

The Genesis is pretty good about NTSC to PAL conversion.

Personally living in PAL land I think I can count the amount of games on one hand that run noticeably slower across the board, Sonic 1 is definitely a slower game if you're in a PAL country (and Sonic 1 is already the slowest of the Sonic games by a country mile so this matters little, remember the slower music was never really an issue because we wouldn't know what the music was meant to sound like) and weirdly, Streets of Rage 3 of all games. Sonic 2 and 3 on the other hand seem to run at exactly the same speed but have borders because of PAL's higher resolution.

Anything else I haven't noticed at all, and i've gone from playing all 50hz to 60hz, but yes, for historical purposes we should probably just go with NTSC everything except for PAL-only games, but then that's only Brian Lara Cricket, Micro Machines 96 and Super Skidmarks, none of which I believe even play on NTSC consoles

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

I think that Sonic 2 has slower gameplay but PAL optimised music, same for SSFII but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Sonic 3 was totally PAL optimised though, as was TFIV.

One thing I always wondered, is it possible to get rid of the black borders? Or would they have to be considered from scratch? Meaning that a native NTSC resolution game would either need 'redrawing' before translating over to PAL, or, in effect have two different games built from the ground up?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Of course, you just need something to draw in the extra two rows. In a four-way scroller like Sonic, you could just draw more of the level area. In a horizontal scroller or a single-screen one, you'd have to do more assets, in case just replicating the border tiles looks bad.

Thread Information