Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IRENA - Genesis Metal Fury *WIP* [SGDK Project]

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Vetea's Avatar

Genesis IRENA - Genesis Metal Fury *WIP* [SGDK Project]

( I create this topic for @Kentosama, the main dev of IRENA )

Irena is a classic shmup exclusively developed for the SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive. The project started in 2017 after some experiments of SGDK. This is also my first project on Mega Drive, but despite my lack of experience in the field, IRENA is a game that interests me a lot, if only for its title referring to the name of my daughter.

Thunder Force III, Musha Aleste, Battle Mania or Truxton, because it is primarily an amateur project, I try to give the best of myself to the graphic designer OHKO and KAOT doing a very good job.

For IRENA, i want to release this game on cartridges and then create a franchise based on its universe. So there are new episods if fans of Mega Drive enjoy the game.

The Storyline
    In a distant world, an intergalactic ship carrying settlers to the planet Laderia II is suddenly trapped by a powerful magnetic field from the exoplanet Xellia, which until now was unknown. On board a small stealth fighter, the Rayden MG323, Major Celina Pelinsky is sent on a mission to detect and destroy the source of this magnetic field while an energetic shield temporarily shields the mothership from external attack. Celina will have to use all her skills as a seasoned pilot to make her way to this hostile planet where she will have to fight against the terrible army of Emperor Zerox, a maleficent being with mysterious powers.

Official website :
    https://www.irena.genku.net/en

Currently, a playable demo is in development progress. This video presents our last progress, but know that many things will be updated including the graphics (new sprites, new palettes) and of course the presence of a complete level.

I want to clarify that this video does not represent the final game. This is a WIP to present the state of development.

Cheers,

Kentosama

Iím unable to see the video as im offshore. But Iím always happy to hear about new shmups for the mega drive. I look forward to following the development of this.

Thank you for the info and all the best with the project

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Looks cool. Always interested in a new shooter with a possible physical release. Good luck with development!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training kentosama's Avatar

Thank you my dear Vetea for opening this topic. I really hope you will like IRENA on Mega Drive.

This looks awesome!
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Vetea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentosama View Post
    Thank you my dear Vetea for opening this topic. I really hope you will like IRENA on Mega Drive.
    Of course my friend !
    The French touch !!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training kentosama's Avatar

Hi ! The development of IRENA is progressing at a good rythm and I can tell you that the visual rendering will undergo a big improvement.

Many things have been put in place, but the biggest job is moving enemies, building waves and managing enemy fire.

I was able yesterday to work on compatibility with 50Hz consoles to allow european Mega Drive to run the game at a good speed and without bugs (for the moment).

I do not know if it is really useful to optimize a game for the 50Hz today, but I think it's nice to know that we can take full advantage of IRENA on a european Mega Drive.

I learned that a ROM leaked, I do not know who leaked, but please, please do not make premature judgments. Now, this will require me to be very careful when I want to have someone try my work.

If you have suggestions or ideas, do not hesitate to submit them to me, I will study them with the greatest attention.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I always enjoy and respect those who put time and efforts in their games.

Look at Rendering Ranger R2, mainly developed by one dude, Manfred Trenz spend 3 years making this game and pulled such stunning visuals/effects that most snes titles couldn't compare such as this scene alone.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentosama View Post
    I learned that a ROM leaked, I do not know who leaked, but please, please do not make premature judgments. Now, this will require me to be very careful when I want to have someone try my work.
    Maybe watermark them, in case it happens again.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    I always enjoy and respect those who put time and efforts in their games.

Look at Rendering Ranger R2, mainly developed by one dude, Manfred Trenz spend 3 years making this game and pulled such stunning visuals/effects that most snes titles couldn't compare such as this scene alone.

Rendering Ranger is overall average by SNES standards and features a lot of simple patterns and assets that fall far short of something like Super Gradius III. A simple spinning animation of a ship that should move in almost any other way than that isn't very impressive and is just a waste of rom space.

I'm looking forward to seeing how IRENA progresses. It is already much more interesting to me than Antarex.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    A simple spinning animation of a ship that should move in almost any other way than that isn't very impressive and is just a waste of rom space.
    Agreed. That YouTube comment sums it up nicely:

Why does the ship spin so many times? "Look at this pre-rendered sprite! Look at it! ARE YOU LOOKING AT IT?"

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Come one, give him a break, he's learning how to pilot that thing.

I'm following it for some time on twitter, and i loved.

Congratulations kentosama, nice to see you here, please keep going!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Hello .. Good night.

First of all, I would like to thank you for all the work at Irena.
    I like the name and surname, very nice.

You have great pixel art, and it seems to me that you're working well on programming.

I would like to give some suggestions in sub topics, things that I think are cool.

Bosses :

Preferably large, and a cool idea, and even as a personal challenge, change the view to vertical and try that effect Axelay style, would be very interesting and great in your game.
    https://youtu.be/9ePpVuHIiE8

Stage Layout:

Try to vary a little, not just going forward, try some directions, as in RType, Gaiares and others.

Visual of the main ship:

I saw that in her other Prototype, she had a more aggressive look, I found cool the new look is beautiful, but try to make her more aggressive in design.

And lastly thank you again, everything you are doing is important.

A and create a badass bomb just like the skull bomb of Truxton.
    Last edited by Chev Chelios; 03-14-2019 at 07:15 PM.

NIce it looks lovely. Keep up the great work!

Thread Information