Quantcast

Page 545 of 673 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548549555595645 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 10083

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    That'd be extremely underwhelming considering all the promises, screenshots and the trailer, but it'd still be better than nothing. Just some kind of playable tech demo or proof of concept. He could still boast about the fact this is somewhat original for a beat 'em up (but not that much... It's been done by Karateka and the likes decades ago).

Axel's idea in a nutshell.
    LOL! I didn't realize someone had posted that already

Back in the day a lot of games cut corners and no one cared. Games like Double Dragon or TMNT2 on the NES only display one enemy type at a time and they were still fun games. On the Genesis you could at least swap palettes and heads, give them different AI etc and it would still be way easier than trying to update hundreds of tiles at once.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ryaku View Post
    Thanks Tulio,

Last questions, Why did you used Paypal for WM ? (maybe because Paypal was great an many people used it)

Was it so difficult to include a credit card payment on WM website (Maybe because the website was not on https) ?
    I also have a related question. Since WM have an Amazon US account, why don't use Amazon to sell stuff also in Europe? Amazon offer a lot of advantages, he automatically manage the storage and the shipping, and also bypass PayPal. Of course with Amazon you have to pay the commissions, but, you can still sell from the WM site, probably at less than Amazon.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Back in the day a lot of games cut corners and no one cared. Games like Double Dragon or TMNT2 on the NES only display one enemy type at a time and they were still fun games.
    Same for Kunio-Kun games. They were great fun despite having basically just one character sprite (although the later ones had more). But I think it's more about technical limitations than cutting corners. It is challenging to find clever ways to make fun games despite heavy technical limitations. Much unlike the "I'll make the biggest MD cart with the most powerful custom chip" mindset.

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ryaku View Post
    Thanks Tulio,

Last questions, Why did you used Paypal for WM ? (maybe because Paypal was great an many people used it)

Was it so difficult to include a credit card payment on WM website (Maybe because the website was not on https) ?
    Website related decisions were usually left to Fonzie as he was the programmer of the websites, and had to interface with the payment gateway. His biggest reasoning back in the day (Pier Solar days) was that in Europe people didn't like to use Credit Cards and PayPal allowed an alternative to that (I remember PayPal could take bank transfer, and even checks).

These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Website related decisions were usually left to Fonzie as he was the programmer of the websites, and had to interface with the payment gateway. His biggest reasoning back in the day (Pier Solar days) was that in Europe people didn't like to use Credit Cards and PayPal allowed an alternative to that (I remember PayPal could take bank transfer, and even checks).
    Having done these kinds of transfer before I tend to agree, I've had numerous overseas customers tell me it's not a simple matter to get a line of credit in their home country. Also PayPal cuts out a lot of the headache of setting up your own merchant services and the fees are generally no worse than anywhere else.

WCPO Agent

Same for Kunio-Kun games. They were great fun despite having basically just one character sprite (although the later ones had more). But I think it's more about technical limitations than cutting corners. It is challenging to find clever ways to make fun games despite heavy technical limitations. Much unlike the "I'll make the biggest MD cart with the most powerful custom chip" mindset.
    I agree but when your engine can only handle two big characters... well you have to compromise somewhere.

I agree but when your engine can only handle two big characters... well you have to compromise somewhere.
    There has been a compromise, alright... on the release date. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    Or probably on the game getting released at all. Fonzie bit off more than he could chew.

WCPO Agent

There has been a compromise, alright... on the release date. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    Or probably on the game getting released at all. Fonzie bit off more than he could chew.
    Yes, and he choked.
    Something I just realized -- if he said the enemy sprites are rendered by the cart, could that mean they were supposed to render to one of the background layers? Maybe that is how he planned to get around some of the hardware limits?

That'd be extremely underwhelming considering all the promises, screenshots and the trailer, but it'd still be better than nothing. Just some kind of playable tech demo or proof of concept. He could still boast about the fact this is somewhat original for a beat 'em up (but not that much... It's been done by Karateka and the likes decades ago).

Axel's idea in a nutshell.
    Yup or like Ninja Warriors Again on SNES (which is a more fun game than Karateka or China Warrior).
    It just would be a beat'em up more like Kung Fu Master and less like Final Fight.
    Last edited by Folco; 11-14-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Something I just realized -- if he said the enemy sprites are rendered by the cart, could that mean they were supposed to render to one of the background layers? Maybe that is how he planned to get around some of the hardware limits?
    I'm no longer sure what he really said or not, but it doesn't really matter to me since he's full of shit. At some point he apparently claimed the enemies were there but just not visible, remember? Then how come the player never gets hit and can still walk forever even though he hasn't cleared any enemy waves? I believe it's common knowledge that game logic and rendering are two distinct things, and although rendering naturally depends on the game logic, the opposite is not true. Unless the guys who were at the party and told us about that twisted Fonzie's words, and actually both the enemy rendering and logic were broken. But if that was the case, I wouldn't expect it to be possible to just walk through levels, things should just crash or prevent you from making progress... unless he had time to patch things up at the last minute to make it kinda run, as some people said... but that sounds a bit farfetched to me. Also, there was one brain-dead enemy at some point in the game ("Signal"... funny they'd blatantly steal the name)... If enemies were broken due to some kind of unexpected hardware issues, why was that one just fine? Did he just patch up one enemy for the party, or something? I just can't take anything Fonzie may have said seriously. Too many things don't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    Yup or like Ninja Warriors Again on SNES (which is a more fun game than Karateka or China Warrior).
    Ninja Warriors Again is nice and all, but has up to 4 enemies at once, which is apparently too many... Paprium chokes on this "cheap breakfast".
    Last edited by Stifu; 11-14-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

IMO, Micro Mages looks amazing for a 40 kilobyte game. It's definitely possible.

]

In short, the only thing I can say since is that the game seems to run better on PC "the game is coded in C and not in assembler"
    This was said by someone who was at the party, but it's unclear how he got this information, exactly... So, we're still not sure if there is a PC version or not. It'd seem crazy to me if there was not, it sounds like it'd just make everything much harder.

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

This was said by someone who was at the party, but it's unclear how he got this information, exactly... So, we're still not sure if there is a PC version or not. It'd seem crazy to me if there was not, it sounds like it'd just make everything much harder.
    Don't keep your hopes up. There's no PC version. It's against Fonzie's principles.

These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

Ninja Warriors Again is nice and all, but has up to 4 enemies at once, which is apparently too many... Paprium chokes on this "cheap breakfast".
    Dude, I know. Four enemies at a time is lame. Given how Natsume probably spent less than a year developing Ninja Warriors Again, it's like, they didn't even finish it...

I actually heard from Fonzie that Paprium will have from one to at least ten enemies on screen at once!

...after paying some DLC fees. Available end of the month.

Road Rasher

When I last worked with Fonzie (which was admittedly quite some time ago) he didn't really know assembly and I haven't heard anything from those that have worked with him more recently to suggest that has changed. That said, just because it's written in C doesn't mean it's easily portable to PC.

Of course, the easy way to release it for PC would be to make a new version of that modified emulator that Luis tested the game in and release that. As Tulio says, that doesn't seem like a likely scenario though.

Thread Information