Quantcast

Page 584 of 665 FirstFirst ... 84484534574580581582583584585586587588594634 ... LastLast
Results 8,746 to 8,760 of 9969

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Are you sure legal action can even be taken at this point? Most people gave the money years ago, and they are from multiple countries. Some might have more of a case than others, and some might not be able to take action at all. I'd like to know what the laws say about this sort of thing.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Since Watermelon is (apparently) based in France it's probably French law that decides what would happen if they just folded up shop.

In the US, if he filed bankruptcy, there's basically no recourse because the company would be liquidated and the assets sold off to pay creditors. So I guess pre-order folks have that much going for them, since he wasn't in America.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

If he's out of money (likely), then what is the point of suing? The only people who would profit would be your lawyers.

And it's not even clear what the grounds for the lawsuit would be. You'd have a hard time proving fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    If he's out of money (likely), then what is the point of suing?
    Perhaps suing WM would give backers a chance to find out where all the money went. If WM can't pay then they'll have to prove it somehow.

Also, if you've ever chased someone for money, you'll know that its rarely a matter of: "oh don't worry, you don't have the funds to pay so we'll let it slide". If WM (or Fonzie directly) get ordered to pay then debt collectors can show up at the door and start taking property as payment.

I doubt WM lacks money, though that is pure speculation.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Mr Godde?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post

Mr Godde?

I actually had someone like that at my door once. I had just moved into a new place and it turned out that the previous occupant owed someone a shitload of money. I had to prove who I was and that I had only recently moved in. Those guys honestly looked like they were ready to kick my ass and then empty the whole building.

I also have a colleague who used to work as a debt collector and he's told me some interesting stories. It doesn't work to just tell them "Oh sorry, I don't have the money right now". Also, bringing this back to WM, if there really is no money available to refund backers, then maybe Fonzie will have to get a real job in order to pay everyone back eventually.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 01-16-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Perhaps suing WM would give backers a chance to find out where all the money went. If WM can't pay then they'll have to prove it somehow.

Also, if you've ever chased someone for money, you'll know that its rarely a matter of: "oh don't worry, you don't have the funds to pay so we'll let it slide". If WM (or Fonzie directly) get ordered to pay then debt collectors can show up at the door and start taking property as payment.

I doubt WM lacks money, though that is pure speculation.
    If the guy really lives off of the money from WM, then I really wonder how much cash/property he has lying around. Suing someone (again, not sure on what grounds) is such a huge and costly process that I can't imagine doing it in this situation. Not sure how bankruptcy laws work in France, but if it's like the US, then he could possibly discharge the debt that way.

My original point was that I would be quite hesitant to sue someone unless I knew there was money to be recovered. Of course they don't let it slide if you don't have funds to pay up, but if you have no property, that money isn't just going to appear out of thin air.

I'd buy Pier Solar rights, if that helps.

If it was that easy I'd imagine Tulio would have already grabbed them.

Also yeah, you're never going to get money back from a lawsuit at this point. I imagine the only reason left to sue Fonzie is to try sending him to prison out of revenge.

This is going to be one of those fiascos that never ends. We'll be bringing up the subject of Paprium for the next twenty years, every time someone has an ambitious project for an old console. We'll probably mention Paprium's problems whenever there's a game being crowdfunded too.

I doubt I'm the first person to mention this, but it seems likely to me that Paprium will become more legendary as vaporware than it ever would have been if it had actually been released.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    If it was that easy I'd imagine Tulio would have already grabbed them.

Also yeah, you're never going to get money back from a lawsuit at this point. I imagine the only reason left to sue Fonzie is to try sending him to prison out of revenge.
    I don't know the laws in France but at least in the U.S. I think that would be hard to do, since WM Games is a company that may shield him from personal liability and there's a much higher burden of proof for criminal vs. civil cases. I wish those pursuing legal action all the best but having watched people try to sue across country lines before it's rarely a simple matter to collect the money, even when all the facts are on your side.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    This is going to be one of those fiascos that never ends. We'll be bringing up the subject of Paprium for the next twenty years, every time someone has an ambitious project for an old console. We'll probably mention Paprium's problems whenever there's a game being crowdfunded too.

I doubt I'm the first person to mention this, but it seems likely to me that Paprium will become more legendary as vaporware than it ever would have been if it had actually been released.
    I think if it had really been released with all those features it would have bankrupted WM, look at all the crap he wanted to put on the cart plus all the extras, and this was supposed to go to people who pre-ordered for $50-70? I don't think it's possible.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I'm surprised Pier Solar hasn't been announced for the Switch, i mean it should be super easy and take only maybe a month to port. If Watermelon did fold I wonder if Hucast Games would be interested in purchasing the rights to Pier Solar, that is if the purchase included the various source codes.

You'd think with all of the indie games that have gotten limited edition physical prints over the past 2 years that Pier Solar on PS4 would be one of them and sell out easily. It's a homebrew-originated old school Genesis jrpg remastered in HD with additional content/features/elaborate trophy list that only Cosmic Star Heroine has really matched up well with this gen. There are the Kemco jrpgs but they're so janky.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

Yeah, I was bored, but seeing them side-by-side like this really drives home the point.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLight99 View Post
    I'm surprised Pier Solar hasn't been announced for the Switch, i mean it should be super easy and take only maybe a month to port. If Watermelon did fold I wonder if Hucast Games would be interested in purchasing the rights to Pier Solar, that is if the purchase included the various source codes.

You'd think with all of the indie games that have gotten limited edition physical prints over the past 2 years that Pier Solar on PS4 would be one of them and sell out easily. It's a homebrew-originated old school Genesis jrpg remastered in HD with additional content/features/elaborate trophy list that only Cosmic Star Heroine has really matched up well with this gen. There are the Kemco jrpgs but they're so janky.
    By the time the Switch took off Tulio had already left and we know Fonzie is averse to porting anything.

Thread Information