Quantcast

Page 505 of 665 FirstFirst ... 5405455495501502503504505506507508509515555605 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 9969

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sonicsju View Post
    While Fonzie didnít do anything with the original SOR games, he was promising something that can easily surpass what was done with that series almost 25yrs ago and Iím sorry, thatís a very tall order... But after seeing that turd of a demo at that so called ďlaunchĒ party I am completely disenfranchised about it. Meanwhile a new SOR game was recently announced, many other companies are revising retro games including beat-em-ups, and some indie folks have gone and created very cool homebrews on the MD/Genesis hardware with very impressive results. Watermelon Games is done and Iím afraid that the final release (if we ever do get it) will be huge dissatisfaction and Fonzie himself will be quoted in French by saying something in the lines of ďits better than nothingĒ
    The End.
    Oh, for sure. I remember somebody involved with WM claiming Pier Solar was "much better than Phantasy Star IV" (they might have even said "objectively") before it was released. I bought it, and it was just some amateurish, derivative RPG. So all that hype about Paprium being a million times better than any SoR, blablabla... I always felt it was nonsense. Making it longer than SoR isn't going to make it better. Beat-'em-ups need to be paced properly to be fun. What does Fonzie know about game design, that he's actually shown? I'm not convinced Paprium will actually come out, though. At least MM9 did, and that's better than nothing.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by afro man dan View Post
    How long until Fonzie makes an announcement after this whole clusterfuck? He's gonna have to come clean or it's the death of him.
    I expect him to disappear for six months or more and then pop up with another vague announcement like nothing has happened.

Mad

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I expect him to disappear for six months or more and then pop up with another vague announcement like nothing has happened.
    I would hope he wouldn't do that. To say he's going to deliver on something, not do so, and then act like nothing has happened. That would not be cool at all...

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Walter View Post
    Oh, for sure. I remember somebody involved with WM claiming Pier Solar was "much better than Phantasy Star IV" (they might have even said "objectively") before it was released. I bought it, and it was just some amateurish, derivative RPG. So all that hype about Paprium being a million times better than any SoR, blablabla... I always felt it was nonsense. Making it longer than SoR isn't going to make it better. Beat-'em-ups need to be paced properly to be fun. What does Fonzie know about game design, that he's actually shown? I'm not convinced Paprium will actually come out, though. At least MM9 did, and that's better than nothing.
    Ugh, Pier Solar. It was as fun to navigate towns and dungeons as it is stepping a lego barefoot. Battles were so unbalanced a lot of little things. I was pretty excited for it but in the end, Pier Solar is one of my most hated RPGs ever. I love RPGs and usually pretty forgiving with them. Even finished some more recent bland ones from Tokyo RPG Factory but Pier Solar just actually made me angry and the only other RPG to do that was Infinite Undiscovery. Sure FFXIII is bad but it it was more laughable than inciting anger to me. Pier Solar and Mighty No 9 (Two games I gave money to and now hate so much) are why I no longer buy into indie hype machines and just take a wait and see approach now. Oh well, seems this Yanni doppelganger being such a goon seems to have had some staff leave and I got Ghost Blade out of it on PS4 so that game made me happy.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Wildside Expert

Dude, back when Pier Solar came out, I finished basically every RPG I started. I finished Final Fantasy 2 (the NES game), Legend of Wukong, and whatever Superfighter renamed Blue Almanac, and those games were trash. But Pier Solar was so uninspired that I just stopped playing it maybe 1/3rd through and never came back. WM's approach always seemed to be "more is better", without any more thought put into the design. "Our game is going to be better than Streets of Rage 2, because it's gonna have 250 levels instead of 7*! Every level's gonna last 30 minutes, and there's gonna be a boss every three steps!" The good games back then were made by cohesive teams of talented and experienced people working full-time and overtime. How many indie units can really say the same? And they all think they're gonna be so much better at it, just because they're inherently special? It's not that easy.

*I don't remember exactly how many levels SoR2 has, but I'm pretty sure it's around that.

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

Well, this is pretty disappointing. Considering the whole point of the party was as a RELEASE party, and we're suddenly left in the dark again just like when the last release date went by...

Why isn't Fonzie posting anything? :/
    I'm Pro A'can

Outrunner

I just find it so funny it's like Fonzie did everything he could to make this task impossible. I bet you could go through all 500 pages of this thread and there was not a single person who was asking for paid DLC or using the Sega CD to control player 2, but he just had to include those.

I wish I could see what it costs to make these carts with the FPGA, which he plans to sell for half the price of the Mega Everdrive. I guess it would be doable if you are making the next Star Fox and will sell 4 million copies, but for a production run that's more likely to be in the hundreds it seems like insanity to waste your time building a custom FPGA board for one game. What benefit do you even get? Decompression should not be an issue, 80 Mb is plenty for a Genesis game and the sound would have been fine without extra channels.
    Last edited by axel; 10-28-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I would hope he wouldn't do that. To say he's going to deliver on something, not do so, and then act like nothing has happened. That would not be cool at all...
    It has been his modus operandi for most of this.

WaterMelon Road Rasher XGoldenboyX's Avatar

Last edited by XGoldenboyX; 10-29-2018 at 11:33 AM.

WaterMelon Road Rasher XGoldenboyX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zygrunt View Post
    It is funny how this topic begins to die and then suddenly WM finds a new way to piss everyone off.
    I must admit you really made me laugh while I read this.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Sounds ominous... Remind me to keep on your good side.

Outrunner

Iím not attempting to be an apologist here - the Ďlaunchí party was a complete sham and a waste of funds - but it feels like antipathy towards Fonzie is causing revisionist opinions of Pier Solar. I love that game - itís not perfect by any means - but it was groundbreaking in terms of post-humus development on the Mega Drive. Without it we might not being seeing the likes of Tanglewood, Xeno Crisis, and, er, Paprium.

I think it deserves more respect than some people are willing to give it right now.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    Iím not attempting to be an apologist here - the Ďlaunchí party was a complete sham and a waste of funds - but it feels like antipathy towards Fonzie is causing revisionist opinions of Pier Solar. I love that game - itís not perfect by any means - but it was groundbreaking in terms of post-humus development on the Mega Drive. Without it we might not being seeing the likes of Tanglewood, Xeno Crisis, and, er, Paprium.

I think it deserves more respect than some people are willing to give it right now.
    I never heard of the guy til I saw this topic a couple days ago so the game has always been crap to me. No need for revisionism when I have no feelings towards a guy I just barely heard of. In fact a couple hours ago booted the game up just to see if what I remembered was correct. It was.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

oh no how could this have happened again, who could possibly have predicted this

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    oh right

Wildside Expert

My only words are...

O
    V
    E
    R
    L I E S

Thread Information