Quantcast

Page 578 of 642 FirstFirst ... 78478528568574575576577578579580581582588628 ... LastLast
Results 8,656 to 8,670 of 9627

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I've spoken to about 14 people about SOR4 so far and only 2 of them liked it.
    Yeah, the graphics look like complete ass.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Stifu's Avatar

It's a bit of a shame, because the animation quality is quite good (animations clearly have many more frames than in SoR 1-3)... but no matter how good the animation is, the artistic direction makes it look like some kind of Flash game or kid cartoon.

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

This game (Magician Lord) barely qualifies as a top Neo Geo title, graphics included.
    How did we go from that to <insert 99% of modern indie games>?

Graphics don't necessarily make a game, but it's nice to have some decent presentation that copies a few, rather than many examples.

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars View Post
    I absolutely love the style just like I loved the look of the Dragon's Trap remake.

Honestly I am very happy they did not go for a fake MD look. I just can't stand games making an effort to look retro. I appreciate MD graphics on MD because the artists tried to make the most of limited capabilities. They did not set out to make their games look like Master System or SG-1000 games.

So doing something modern was absolutely neccessary for SoR4 as far as I am concerned. They obviously lack the budget to do a 3D game with AAA production values, so I am happy with this style they came up with. This is what I imagine the devs of SoR 1 - 3 would have done had they had the resolution, colors and memory.
    Well said. I agree.

No reason to be stuck in the past. Even though I'm a fan of Pixel art it's doesn't have to be the only way to do a game. So long as the game doesn't feel 'flouty' and punches and kicks really feel like they're connecting then this could be great.

I remember being concerned that Monster Boy looked a wee bit like flash game graphics but now that I've been playing it, those concerns were laid waste. Street of Rage 4 is looking great and I hope the game plays very well too.
    Last edited by thesegadude; 01-09-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Sega Dude

Visit me @ Retro Megabit

Quote Originally Posted by Gadispalembang View Post
    This game (Magician Lord) barely qualifies as a top Neo Geo title, graphics included.
    How did we go from that to <insert 99% of modern indie games>?
    Programmers who wanted to make games despite a complete lack of art skills. Also even when they have good artists, to speed up on development and hence reduce budget (good pixelart takes ages to make and can easily make a 2D game's budget skyrocket as a result). This wasn't a problem with games in the '90s because they were AAA for the time and hence could justify it, not so much an indie game that has practically no budget and everybody involved has to pay the rent yesterday.

And if that sounds like they wouldn't last long in the marketů hint, there's a reason why nobody cares about them anymore (I know somebody will complain, but let's be honest, people in general got tired of that shit).

WaterMelon Road Rasher XGoldenboyX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    It's a bit of a shame, because the animation quality is quite good (animations clearly have many more frames than in SoR 1-3)... but no matter how good the animation is, the artistic direction makes it look like some kind of Flash game or kid cartoon.
    This !

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Programmers who wanted to make games despite a complete lack of art skills. Also even when they have good artists, to speed up on development and hence reduce budget (good pixelart takes ages to make and can easily make a 2D game's budget skyrocket as a result). This wasn't a problem with games in the '90s because they were AAA for the time and hence could justify it, not so much an indie game that has practically no budget and everybody involved has to pay the rent yesterday.

And if that sounds like they wouldn't last long in the marketů hint, there's a reason why nobody cares about them anymore (I know somebody will complain, but let's be honest, people in general got tired of that shit).

A good portion of indie games have self-proclaimed artists involved, the standards are just a whole lot lower nowadays. Putting a lot of effort into graphics is daunting if you're a one man team, I know because I opted for a more monochrome look in the game I'm currently working on.

Here's an example of my best efforts:https://images3.imgbox.com/4e/73/pI7FOzrd_o.png

Compared to my current project's graphics: https://images2.imgbox.com/f1/ca/RYeMWBE6_o.png

I can understand dumbing yourself down a bit as the artist, but as I mentioned in my previous post, it'd be nice if there were more graphical clones of SOR, for example, rather than Earthbound.

WaterMelon Road Rasher XGoldenboyX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    Well said. I agree.

No reason to be stuck in the past. Even though I'm a fan of Pixel art it's doesn't have to be the only way to do a game. So long as the game doesn't feel 'flouty' and punches and kicks really feel like they're connecting then this could be great.

I remember being concerned that Monster Boy looked a wee bit like flash game graphics but now that I've been playing it, those concerns were laid waste. Street of Rage 4 is looking great and I hope the games really well too.
    Monster boy to me looks far superior graphically. As for SOR4 ... like some have said. I was expecting high quality pixel art with fluid animations, something in the likes of what Street Fighter 3 was able to create many years ago and what "current" amazing pixel artist's are able to re-create with their own unpublished or Indy games. So for me, the "flash" clean look was the easy out and not very appealing. And I'm a fan of their Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap game, that was perfect for the type of game. I own it. Also some enemies just stand out to much from the other cast ( the fat guy) for example and too american cartoony for my taste.

That said, I might still play it, but I'm not all that excited tbh!

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

The entire idea behind it is also insulting, with everybody looking the exact same (yet in shitty flash art style) except for Axel who got the beard and 90s shirt round his waist treatment.
    You have no idea how often kids use that trope when drawing fan art, add a beard, slap a new shirt on there and BAM! fanart.

It's like they planned to remake sor1 and then got the Sega deal, so they quickly added a beard and called it a sequel. not since Sonic 4 have I felt this insulted as a Sega fan.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XGoldenboyX View Post
    Monster boy to me looks far superior graphically. As for SOR4 ... like some have said. I was expecting high quality pixel art with fluid animations, something in the likes of what Street Fighter 3 was able to create many years ago and what "current" amazing pixel artist's are able to re-create with their own unpublished or Indy games. So for me, the "flash" clean look was the easy out and not very appealing. And I'm a fan of their Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap game, that was perfect for the type of game. I own it. Also some enemies just stand out to much from the other cast ( the fat guy) for example and too american cartoony for my taste.
    Yeah, it feels like Lizardcube's artistic capabilities fit well with the Wonder Boy style. I appreciate that style and think it shows a lot of character.

The problem here is that they're trying to adapt Streets of Rage to those capabilities.

I think of all of Sega's back catalog, Streets of Rage is THE title that deserves the highest quality treatment. I want a game with art like you find in Street Fighter 3, Guilty Gear X, and all those other late generation 2D fighting games. That coupled with a new soundtrack from Yuzo Koshiro really has the potential to be a strong seller, in my opinion.

Streets of Rage 4 looks a bit... underwhelming. It seems low-budget and from the reactions online I don't think it will sell that well.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Exactly. SOR2 was a AAA, high budget game back in the day. If Sega wants to revive this franchise I wish they would fund a big budget sequel. I guess the bean counters have already determined that wouldn't be profitable but it's sad to see Sega do this with one of their biggest franchises.

I love the Wonderboy remake but it's a completely different situation, much simpler game and the art style looks cartoonish already. Still if it plays well I can overlook the art style.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

You guys are coming off a bit overly critical. Are we seeing the same thing?

http://www.lizardcube.com/presskit/StreetsofRage4/

That is not bad, or ugly, by a long shot. Those are good looking backgrounds, and the characters are tastefully done.

We can't expect 3rd Strike level stuff from smaller teams. Capcom/SNK/Arc were masters in sprite art for combat games... Give these guys a break.

I'm personally looking forward to this, it's always interesting to see a group of passionate people try to make something new with a franchise that has this much cultural impact. It's a shame that the focus is more on aesthetics, which are, ultimately, completely subjective, and not on how freaking cool it is that the people involved actually know their stuff, and are passionate about the source material.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    We can't expect 3rd Strike level stuff from smaller teams. Capcom/SNK/Arc were masters in sprite art for combat games... Give these guys a break.
    I think there's just a certain level of disappointment here that Sega passed this along to such a small team.

Consider the revitalization that SNK is going through now. Who ever thought we were going to see another King of Fighters or Samurai Shodown game?

Streets of Rage could have been Sega's chance to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    You guys are coming off a bit overly critical. Are we seeing the same thing?

http://www.lizardcube.com/presskit/StreetsofRage4/

That is not bad, or ugly, by a long shot. Those are good looking backgrounds, and the characters are tastefully done.

I'm personally looking forward to this, it's always interesting to see a group of passionate people try to make something new with a franchise that has this much cultural impact. It's a shame that the focus is more on aesthetics, which are, ultimately, completely subjective, and not on how freaking cool it is that the people involved actually know their stuff, and are passionate about the source material.
    dude, it looks like a flash animation with some added lighting effects.

Wildside Expert

Imo, the animation is very well handled and the solid cell colors similar to guardian heroes is a good choice. However they should have decided to design the characters in a more realistic way and make them look taller/less chunky. For the bgs, it looks fine but in contrary to dragonstrap, it should have looked more realistic, darker and visually less like a comics.

Thread Information