Quantcast

Page 16 of 656 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116516 ... LastLast

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    To be honest there were two new pages of posts just today so I could have missed where you said you wanted examples for a friend.
    Okay that is understandable but please don't suggest things I'm not (Genesis mispronounces it) or keep repeating my Genesis' and Altered Beasts copies I had are broken.

But still no white noise. The only reason I'm arguing with you is because you are giving out incorrect information.
    Incorrect information ? No we both mentioned there is noise (even the slightest) there.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by djvectorman View Post
    I don't mean white noise like a uhf, I call noise from microphone recording but nobody talking (slightest of hiss) that when I used to engineer, people not trimming things off correctly drove me nuts. So I had to engineer the previous engineer work because his ear wasn't as good as mine.
    "There is some aliasing"

Yeah it's annoying as hell. Maybe it just irritates me more than it does you.

Banned by Administrators

But if you want me to address what I call it again, okay it's not white noise like a UHF (I just call dead noise white noise as I stated). But it's a noise/hiss/sound I can definitely hear.

Edit :

Hopefully we are done discussing semantics now. If Project Y has voices I hope it sounds great like what me and sheath mentioned. Does Pier Solar have voices ?
    Last edited by Vector2013; 03-27-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Media

The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Banned by Administrators

Thanks Chris, great first video as it shows what my friend and me were discussing basically. I got a list of 25 games to show off voices. The power up voice on altered beast sounds the best in that game imo.

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

Those videos......... who could have made them? His name seems so familiar for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by djvectorman View Post

Hopefully we are done discussing semantics now.
    Almost! You said the white noise happens after the laugh. The Rise from your grave has the "slight hiss". I will give you that one since there is a bit of aliasing in the digitization, but the laugh is, for all intents and purposes, perfectly fine. Especially for a launch game.

Quote Originally Posted by old man
    Those videos......... who could have made them? His name seems so familiar for some reason.
    I wonder...

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

All I know is that the author's some "Joe R." or "J. Redifer". Dunno if that helps.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

It is not aliasing, it is quantisation noise. Aliasing you hear on the AAAAAGGGGHHHH of Space Harrier. Quantisation noise comes from just 256 possible levels on 8bit sounds and is especially noticable on quiet parts as the SnR is just 48db, Aliasing noises come from low sample rate and happen in the frequency spectrum and look like inverted repeats towards higher and higher frequencies of "good" frequencies.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Banned by Administrators

Ha, yeah I should have just said noise. Yes for a launch title the voices are fine (but there are many others that sound way better and that was just my point like Dynamite H or others in video above we discussed before), power up sounds the clearest imo.

The laugh or Rise is okay but esp the second long dead air/non trimmed noise bothers me, that all. I haven't played AB in a while, but remember hearing a high pitch frequency still playing after audio of voice on one of them, because it's like not trimmed or cut off properly, but I'm no expert in VG audio however I do have a great ear and I always noticed it.

I'll apologize for saying white noise because that is just something me and other engineers in studio called dead air (like slightest of hiss or frequency or a recording where no voice or instrument are going on, but you hear mixer still recording which we called white noise (not like uhf) or dead noise/air). Like I said, if somebody sampled a piano I would have to trim if off at end better because previous engineer didn't stop or trim the sample off properly, so you hear like a dead air (frequency of bit rate the entire length of that the sample/sample time used) but right after piano it is very noticeable. Hope I'm explaining that okay. Semantics though, but I shouldn't have said white noise outside our studio.

This echos what I mean.

TmEE

Quantisation noise comes from just 256 possible levels on 8bit sounds and is especially noticable on quiet parts
    Does the worst AB voice clip sound better than the best SF MD voice clip, imo yes. Thanks to you guys I now have 25 great to very good voice clip game to show my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    It is not aliasing, it is quantisation noise.
    I figured if I used the wrong term that you'd correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by djvectorman
    Does the worst AB voice clip sound better than the best SF MD voice clip, imo yes.
    Oh I definitely agree. Of course it helps that no music is playing in those early games, but Dynamite Headdy still sounds great with music playing during the voices. I'm gonna have to try the SF Beta again, I think it may have had better voices than the actual released game, though it may have had fewer voices as well.

Banned by Administrators

Oh I definitely agree. Of course it helps that no music is playing in those early games, but Dynamite Headdy still sounds great with music playing during the voices. I'm gonna have to try the SF Beta again, I think it may have had better voices than the actual released game, though it may have had fewer voices as well.
    Cool let me know.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

As much as I love Star Odyssey, this thread should replace it as a "sticky" thread. Star Odyssey is no longer an active project, as they have stopped selling them for a long time. At least Pier Solar is still being sold for the Genesis, along with the OST and strategy guide, and Oh Mummy! is still in the distribution process.

Project Y should be stickied.

Damn I just found out about this project. I would love to see 4 player simultaneous playing at the same time. We could only get those in the friggin arcades
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Project Y won't be stickied until it gets a real name.

Banned by Administrators

Project Y won't be stickied until it gets a real name.
    Did you find the beta of SF2 with better voices ? If so, can you pm me the rom.

Thread Information