Quantcast

Page 471 of 656 FirstFirst ... 371421461467468469470471472473474475481521571 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,065 of 9827

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Just sound (and maybe compression but thats not confirmed). Fonz did want it for 3D but I don't think this version of the chip has a floating point unit. Plus this board rev was ditched as the hardware didn't do what he wanted it to.
    True no FPU, fixed point only. What 3D effects do you need in a game like this? Seems like overkill to add that DSP (which costs around $7 for hundreds of units, plus whatever additional circuitry it might need) just to get a couple more sound channels.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I so want to get passed this technical mumbo jumbo talk and into the game...

Eagerly awating.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I'm with you. I have a stupid blind faith that I'll play this one day.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Fonz did want it for 3D but I don't think this version of the chip has a floating point unit.
    Have you seen what Virtua Racing [SVP] could do without floating point? :​P

Anyway, didn't Fonzie ditch the DSP for a FPGA now? At least that was the latest rumor regarding the datenmeister.

I don't think you need floating point to support 3D graphics at all. I'm pretty sure that the original PlayStation only allowed fixed point.

At this point, even if Paprium gets released, regardless of how good or bad it is I will never buy it. Not even if it has 3D graphics.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

Outrunner

Rather expensive to put an FPGA on a cart for a small run of Genesis games isn't it? That's why I thought the game had to be running on this add-on chip, otherwise it seems like way too much work just to add sound channels. But at this point nothing would surprise me.

The impression I get is that Fonzie demanded to add the chip just because to see what could be done with it without any clear goal in mind.

In fact that's probably the main issue with Fonzie, he probably doesn't know what the heck he wants to do with the game. Add to that a piece of shit personality (so that nobody really wants to help him anymore) and well...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Rather expensive to put an FPGA on a cart for a small run of Genesis games isn't it?
    The DSP on the prototype board picture isn't cheap anyway.
    The main oddity here is that they have already sold the cart. How you can sold something without the clue of how much it cost in production?

That's why I thought the game had to be running on this add-on chip, otherwise it seems like way too much work just to add sound channels. But at this point nothing would surprise me.
    I guess is only for sound. The sound will be completely managed by the DSP, FPGA or whatever, in order to keep the Z80 free to do other stuff.

Why not bring the game out on the 32X then? Sure it has some limitations but you get more color and more sound channels to work with plus there is absolutely NO beat em ups on that system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Because very few people own a 32X

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Why not bring the game out on the 32X then? Sure it has some limitations but you get more color and more sound channels to work with plus there is absolutely NO beat em ups on that system.
    I wish someone would do that but it seems economically unfeasible since so few people have a 32X. You could make a Genesis game that uses the 32X if it's present, but then you are basically making two games (and from what I understand you would need two ROMs on the cart).

Fonzie's DSP (or FPGA?) will likely be many times more powerful than the 32X, unfortunately without that video mixing cable it can't add extra colors or layers. It seems like such a waste to use a powerful chip just to enhance the soundtrack, which already sounded fine to begin with.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I wish someone would do that but it seems economically unfeasible since so few people have a 32X. You could make a Genesis game that uses the 32X if it's present, but then you are basically making two games (and from what I understand you would need two ROMs on the cart).

Fonzie's DSP (or FPGA?) will likely be many times more powerful than the 32X, unfortunately without that video mixing cable it can't add extra colors or layers. It seems like such a waste to use a powerful chip just to enhance the soundtrack, which already sounded fine to begin with.
    This makes me wish more and more for emulation systems to bring about 32X emulation. There were 600,000 of them sold, if I remember correctly. Albeit many of them not working properly nowadays. But that was the install base back then.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Yep, Kega Fusion always did a nice all round job I thought. Picodrive's pretty good mind.

Wildside Expert

oh WM facebook recently commented the last post saying in french "the packaging is getting ready for a as announced october release"

Who announced the october release?

Thread Information