Quantcast

Page 51 of 474 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Paprium: Official Thread

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    OK, let's hire Yuzo Koshiro for the sequel. The graphics will look like a sidescrolling Super Hydlide and it will play like Nightmare Circus, because when the entire budget is spent on music, there isn't anything left for good stuff in other areas.
    Look at all the money pissed away on artists who aren't involved with project anymore, could have used that $ for a great Yuzo intro. But let's get real, I'm sure you guys will sell for $100 or even maybe put on ebay for $200, so ok 4 of those sales = 1 yuzo track, you guys will get your money back on this project depending on how much you pay graphic artists.

You are going to press 1,000 copies for $50 at first ? That is $50,000.

Pressing of carts, labels instructions and cases = let's say $5,000.
    Artists and Programmers = what $10,000 so far ? Because some are "in house" yes ?
    Sound Engineer = couple thousand.
    Other stuff, few more thousand. In house will check for bugs, crashes, etc.
    Promotion, Video trailer.
    That's still $30,000 profit !

But let's just double it for the hell of it, add more costs if you are paying people more (people stopped), still $10,000 total profit (off 1 batch) minimum. No, let's say everything costs even more, and you break even on this project, isn't it all worth it ? You can make profit on re issues though (another 1,000 x $50 at least). It's all over google, "retro community" knows about it so it will sell like Pier Solar did.

I used to press stuff too.

You guys will still make a killing even off 1 batch, so you are telling me paying him $500 for interlude music or $1,000 for an intro or $2,000 for 2 tracks is breaking your budget ? Not only will the songs be good, but sound good coming out of genesis m1.

OK, let's hire Yuzo Koshiro for the sequel. The graphics will look like a sidescrolling Super Hydlide and it will play like Nightmare Circus, because when the entire budget is spent on music, there isn't anything left for good stuff in other areas.
    Please, let's not do that. Just use some good classical music like Chopin or Bach.

The music for Pier Solar was amazing, proving that Watermelon has more than enough qualified people to do the game justice. Aside from the "wow, Sega nostalgia!" factor, I don't see any real need to bring in Yuzo (unless he were willing to come in as a fan thing. That would be cool).

It couldn't hurt to ask him, I guess. I know he loves the MD and making music on it, but I don't know if he'd be willing to dedicate the time necessary to compose an entirely new soundtrack. Maybe he'd be willing to donate a track that he hasn't yet used or something.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Yuzo (unless he were willing to come in as a fan thing. That would be cool).

It couldn't hurt to ask him, I guess. I know he loves the MD and making music on it, but I don't know if he'd be willing to dedicate the time necessary to compose an entirely new soundtrack. Maybe he'd be willing to donate a track that he hasn't yet used or something.
    Exactly, I'm not saying he has to do the whole soundtrack, Watermelon could do 95% of it but a track or 2 from Yuzo from an online transaction wouldn't hurt and might bring more value to the game overall, both in music quality (his stuff sounds perfect out of genesis, perfect levels and everything) and as a collector piece. Some people will buy this game anyway and not play it, just collect it. I'm sure people did for Pier Solar as well, or bought 2 copies 1 to play 1 to collect. I honestly didn't know there was going to be a Project Y part 2 lol.

Also, one more thing, will the engineers "borrow" sounds from great ones like final fight and sor (like sega sampled sf2 sounds for ec), because the sound fxs like punching guys, the solid animation is very important. Some say beat em ups are better on snes because of the solid feel of gameplay, I hope this is a main focus on Project Y and it doesn't look good but sound cheap and play fluffy like Fatal Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Look at all the money pissed away on artists who aren't involved with project anymore, could have used that $ for a great Yuzo intro. But let's get real, I'm sure you guys will sell for $100 or even maybe put on ebay for $200, so ok 4 of those sales = 1 yuzo track, you guys will get your money back on this project depending on how much you pay graphic artists.

You are going to press 1,000 copies for $50 at first ? That is $50,000.

Pressing of carts, labels instructions and cases = let's say $5,000.
    Artists and Programmers = what $10,000 so far ? Because some are "in house" yes ?
    Sound Engineer = couple thousand.
    Other stuff, few more thousand. In house will check for bugs, crashes, etc.
    Promotion, Video trailer.
    That's still $30,000 profit !

But let's just double it for the hell of it, add more costs if you are paying people more (people stopped), still $10,000 total profit (off 1 batch) minimum. No, let's say everything costs even more, and you break even on this project, isn't it all worth it ? You can make profit on re issues though (another 1,000 x $50 at least). It's all over google, "retro community" knows about it so it will sell like Pier Solar did.

I used to press stuff too.

You guys will still make a killing even off 1 batch, so you are telling me paying him $500 for interlude music or $1,000 for an intro or $2,000 for 2 tracks is breaking your budget ? Not only will the songs be good, but sound good coming out of genesis m1.
    Carts alone eat away half of $50.000. How do you know he asks $1000 for one track?

Banned by Administrators

Carts alone eat away half of $50.000.
    Ok, I didn't realize cart manufacturing was so high. But my example was minimum amount of pressing and minimum sale of game so. I had to figure my budget for pressing discs (in 90s cds, tapes and vinyl just for 1 project), cases, inserts, promotion, copies made, music artists involved, sound engineers, graphic artists, and other things and by going by my minimum I still made money. I don't think asking him for a track or 2 will break your budget. Like I said, imagine if you already got a track from him instead of pissing money away on artists you fired or whatever, you could have promoted it with the "Yuzo composing in game as well" factor already.

How do you know he asks $1000 for one track?
    I don't how much he charges and either does anybody else in this thread until they contact him. But if you explain everything, including your budget, idea behind game, the exposure you 2 will get from collaborating, I'm sure he can send you 2 or 3 minute intro track for $1,000 over a email or like Melf said an unreleased (sor2 maybe) track maybe even for less. Don't name a price, just ask then go from there. Overall I think it will add to the value of game and give both of you guys (while very minimum) more exposure.
    Last edited by Vector2013; 02-04-2014 at 08:09 AM.

OK, I can check with the bosses and see what they say. No sequel is planned atm btw.

Banned by Administrators

OK, I can check with the bosses and see what they say.
    Great, I think even if you only get 1 track it would be great for the reasons I mentioned above. Let's say worse case scenario, it costs 2,000 for a stellar intro and fonzie says ok I can only do 1000, I'm sure a $100 from 10 of us here could help as long as we get a copy of game.

Also, mind addressing this "Also, one more thing, will the engineers "borrow" sounds from great ones like final fight and sor (like sega sampled sf2 sounds for ec), because the sound fxs like punching guys, the solid animation is very important. Some say beat em ups are better on snes because of the solid feel of gameplay, I hope this is a main focus on Project Y and it doesn't look good but sound cheap and play fluffy like Fatal Fury."

Of course it would be great to have a Project Y soundtrack made by Yuzo Koshiro.
    But I think it is not THE top priority of Watermelon's staff at the moment. The game is not finished yet.
    Watermelon's work is all about nostalgia, and a Yuzo Koshiro's track could be only a detail in this neo-retrogaming project.

@Zebbe : do you know if Project Y's packaking design and merchandising things are already done ?

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by tbp View Post
    Of course it would be great to have a Project Y soundtrack made by Yuzo Koshiro.
    We are not talking whole soundtrack or most, just 1 track, maybe 2.

But I think it is not THE top priority of Watermelon's staff at the moment.
    Nobody said it was, but I think it's great zeb will ask soon, might have time to be put in game.

The game is not finished yet.
    Understood.

Watermelon's work is all about nostalgia, and a Yuzo Koshiro's track could be only a detail in this neo-retrogaming project.
    A great detail.

This game is a community/watermelon game (from the "genesis", with fan polls etc) and many here recently asked about Yuzo and I'm glad zeb will at least find out for us.

In that interview RPGFan posted on YouTube he sounds mega busy these days, but it certainly would be quite neat to have Yuzo Koshiro do a tune for the game. As another said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Megadrive

Just ask Motohiro Kawashima who did half the tracks from BK2 & BK3: www.segaretro.org/Motohiro_Kawashima

The guy did a tour with MegaRan recently: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lp-and-documen

so I'd guess that he's open for something like this.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    We are not talking whole soundtrack or most, just 1 track, maybe 2.
    Nobody said it was, but I think it's great zeb will ask soon, might have time to be put in game.
    Yes even "only" 1 track will be "a great detail". Like a cherry on a big cake
    I hope they will have the time to do it without planning a delay about the game release.

Cool idea, if it does not harm other things involved in the game's budget.
    WM should at least try to contact him. Imagine if the guy makes an opening song as epic as SoR...

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

I don't think there is any point to get a track from Yuzo (aside from fan service and the buzz of having Yuzo music in the game). If there is ever a Streets of Rage 4 that would be a different story. I think Watermelon is going to produce a great soundtrack.
    Girl's Asian Please
    NFL Dallas Cowboys
    MLB Toronto Blue Jays
    NHL St.Louis Blues
    NBA Golden St. Warriors

Thread Information