Quantcast

Page 267 of 267 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267
Results 3,991 to 4,003 of 4003

Thread: Project Y: Official Thread

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert AggroSky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    That is 7pm est time for anyone that wanted to know.
    So 7PM Eastern time on the 28th? Or the 27th? Time Zones confuse me

Quote Originally Posted by AggroSky View Post
    So 7PM Eastern time on the 28th? Or the 27th? Time Zones confuse me
    Going by what was said that would be the 27 for est time, 7:00pm. I would ask him to make sure that is what he mean's just on the off chance that was a mistake.

Edit: sorry that would be 8:00pm est, just double checked.
    Last edited by zredgemz; Yesterday at 01:34 AM.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Officially, I remember it being 64 simultaneously of a palette of 512.
    Mmm this number doesn't consider transparencies which is usually colour 0 in each palette and then you have Shadow/Highlight.

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

Joe Redifer has wizzen fwom the gwave, thanks to Paprium. Maybe Dave will join now too...

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Mmm this number doesn't consider transparencies which is usually colour 0 in each palette and then you have Shadow/Highlight.
    One color of each palette needs to be invisible (although I believe 1 can be visible behind everything), so if you could somehow make use of every color in each palette at once, you'd have 60 colors, but everything would either have minimal shading or look fugly.

Paprium is indeed using harsh jumps in color with random clashing colors mixed in, but it still doesn't look like it will push more than 50 colors in any given scene.

Shadow/highlight eats up sprites or a tile layer, so don't expect it to be used unless it's a non-gameplay sequence.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    One color of each palette needs to be invisible (although I believe 1 can be visible behind everything), so if you could somehow make use of every color in each palette at once, you'd have 60 colors, but everything would either have minimal shading or look fugly.
    Technically 61 since the background color can be assigned to one of the otherwise unused (i.e. transparent) colors.

This not bringing in S/H nor raster effects, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Shadow/highlight eats up sprites or a tile layer, so don't expect it to be used unless it's a non-gameplay sequence.
    It's not that limited (・ω・;) You have all layers as usual, it's just that layer priority plays a factor in shadowing. Definitely something you can plan for, but most developers simply didn't bother with it, especially not once the SNES came out (because "the SNES can do transparency but the MD can't", you know).

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Don't you have to use a double of a tile layer or sprite to shadow or highlight it?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

No (・ω・;)

Basically the rules are (done for every pixel):

• If all layers are low priority then it's shadow by default, otherwise normal by default
      • Except if it's color 14 from any palette (which defaults to normal regardless of priority)
    • Sprite palette 3 color 14 becomes transparent and makes the underlying pixel brighter
    • Sprite palette 3 color 15 becomes transparent and makes the underlying pixel darker

The first rule is the problematic one. What most games do is leave plane B (background) and sprites always at low priority, then use low or high priority in plane A (foreground) depending on whether scenery is meant to show behind or in front of sprites. The problem is that it clashes head on with the first rule, since anything not in front of sprites will show up as shadowed. There's a simple workaround for this (make plane A always high priority then change the priority of each sprite depending where they are, then modify as needed to get the S/H effects), but I guess it was deemed as too much effort.

There's also the exception to the rule with color 14, but again can be worked around (just make sure it's black), and can also be exploited (it's the only way to have a bright color in an otherwise shadowed graphic, which can have some nice uses).

EDIT: typo'd like hell.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

It's also terribly documented. I couldn't make heads or tails of the mode based on just sega2f.htm, and third-party docs weren't much clearer either. The limitations make it not worth it for most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by XGoldenboyX View Post
    I made sure it was so ; ) Looking great !
    I'm really glad that this has happened, and I hope that the constructive criticism that I and other users have done has helped you to do a more refined and better work.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Is today the reveal date?

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Is today the reveal date?
    If you do not live somewhere with GMT, then according to that tweet yes. Either it is 7:00pm or 8:00pm est time. Only reason i say possibly 8:00pm is place's other then the USA do not have daylight's savings time.

If you live in a GMT zone it is midnight the 27th which in turn makes it the 28th.

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    If you do not live somewhere with GMT, then according to that tweet yes. Either it is 7:00pm or 8:00pm est time. Only reason i say possibly 8:00pm is place's other then the USA do not have daylight's savings time.

If you live in a GMT zone it is midnight the 27th which in turn makes it the 28th.
    Thanks!

Thread Information