Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mortal Kombat III

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    Am I terrible or is this game really difficult? I'm reasonably good at most MK games but this one beats my ass every time I touch it.
    Here's an expert and he says it's more difficult than he can take as he says at 6:41.

I think UMK3 is better balanced game more fighters too.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 04-30-2016 at 10:20 AM.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ebaillargeon82 View Post
    So I don't understand why it was so popular..?).
    Because it was the first pure fighter that allowed for such combos (and refined it with every incarnation). while games like Killer Instinct took shortcuts with its pre programmed flashy combo moves.

Quote Originally Posted by ebaillargeon82 View Post
    Quality over Quantity

Edit : I do want to point out that I respect what games like UMK3 have done, it has a very good engine and allows for great real combos.
    But the problem comes when people think that the dial-a-combo moves are combos in their own right, used alone they're not something to be proud of.
    but when you can do an actual real combo and then chain it into the dial-a-combo then its quite nice.

And that is the reason why in later SF games you had multiple hitting fireballs/uppercuts. because Capcom attempted to create bigger combos by making originally 1 hit specials hit more times.

so the dial-a-combo is not a combo, its a special. but you can combo into it and get more hits.

but its still just a special, and people see that. and that is why games like Street Fighter 2 are remembered more fondly than flashy dial-a-combo or Killer Instinct 99 hit guitar hero like combos.
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 04-30-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Art of fighting is one of my favorite games but it's stiff and the combos are pretty rudimentary (outside of the multihit moves). AoF2 is better but still plays stiff. Part 3 refined the series the best but the character design is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    Art of fighting is one of my favorite games but it's stiff and the combos are pretty rudimentary (outside of the multihit moves). AoF2 is better but still plays stiff. Part 3 refined the series the best but the character design is lame.

Completely agree with that, the first two games had this great 70s feel going on. strong characters and great music.
    but it controls like you're playing it upside down with broken joysticks while on xtc.

I would kill for a version of AOF2 with the SF2 engine.

Shame nobody cares enough about AOF, because the source code is available.
    Fix the engine, make the other characters playable in single player mode, and call it AOF Champion Edition.

"You must spread reputation around before giving it to NeoVamp!"

AoF Champion Edition would be awesome, as the core game it really fun and i suspect kind of what eternal champions was trying to copy with the spirit bar and moves. I found if you're good at Fatal Fury 1 and 2 you can do well at AoF 1/2, as the move timing is pretty similar. AoF 2 really is a great time if it wasn't so stiff and f'ing hard!!!!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I agree about the combo stuff. I haven't really played MK past its second outing, but the whole dialling in is very true of games like Tekken, where you have to learn a predetermimed set of button presses. A true combo is one you discover yourself on the fly, like in a Virtua Fighter game, or SFII where your move set is fixed, but allows good flow between them to do with what you please.

In terms of MK games (correct me here, I have admittedly limited experience beyond MKIII) the ability to combine always seemed less of a priority.

Banned by Administrators

But it's not all dial combos in ME3. Lots of juggles too.

Last I played while there was a strong online MAME community I stopped shortly before learning UMK3 at higher levels. But one thing I remember is that while everybody else says there's no point in UMK3 and MK3 with Trilogy out, they're wrong. In the online competition community UMK3 Arcade is the only one played because it's the most stable version. Too unbalanced, buggy and with infinite juggles MK3, MKT and ports like Genesis/SNES are plagued with.

Oh yeah MK3/UMK3/MKT most definitely has the engine for epic combos, its just the dial-a-kombo thing that I have a problem with.
    Because that's how it was shilled back then "now you too can do epic combos!"

They're great to incorporate into actual combos, but at the end of the day the dial-a-kombo thing is just a glorified special move. and nothing more.

In a way its sad how that stuff evolved, first you had people with a passion for a certain game come up with the most crazy combos/juggling by playing the game constantly.
    then.. the big companies saw that and quickly put some in some pre-coded combos just to ride the combo hype. and thus they ended up ruining it for everybody.

First everybody wanted to top SF2, then everybody wanted to have the most fatalities, then everybody wanted to have the game with most possible combo hits.

Banned by Administrators

^ I know. That was my first impression too, as I much prefer juggles. But if you play enough, the dial a combos become second nature muscle memory. That and there are more juggles in ME3 & UMK3.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    When I was a kid, we called combo's "Being a cheap bastard". We didn't start calling them combo's until after '94 or '95. Origins, unknown.
    Hah, yeah, I still remember the first time I figured out that certain attacks could be combined in SF2. I started clobbering everybody and they would say it was cheating. They said the game was broken because there was no defense for it. It wasn't long before everyone else was doing it, too. One of my friends got insanely good at it and was unbeatable by the rest of us after that.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    Here's an expert and he says it's more difficult than he can take as he says at 6:41.
    Seriously. I like MK3 but the Genesis port is too much to take, it's just insanely difficult and downright unfair to even try against the AI.

UMK3 doesn't have this issue.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    Seriously. I like MK3 but the Genesis port is too much to take, it's just insanely difficult and downright unfair to even try against the AI.
    UMK3 doesn't have this issue.
    I don't know if you found/saw it but I replied to you in the UMK3 thread#41 felt it was more at home there. Just out of curiosity, where are you getting stuck and what are you playing as in difficulty, Choose your destiny and character?

Hero of Algol

Shang Tsung vs Shang Tsung played by... Shang Tsung!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Hehe that pic is so cool!

Thread Information