Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Gear clone being made by COLECO

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Default Game Gear clone being made by COLECO

Works as a handheld or has an A/V output. 20 built-in SMS/GG games.

Sonic Drift II
    Columns
    Fantasy Zone
    Assault City
    Kung Fu Kid
    Fantasy Zone The Maze
    The Ninja
    Super Columns
    Astro Warrior
    Bomber Raid
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Alex Kidd in High Tech World
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Altered Beast
    Aztec Adventures
    Global Defense
    Quartet
    Penguin Land
    Ecco: The Tides of Time
    Snail Maze

Pretty good game selection (except it needs Shinobi, Zillion, Kenseiden, Psycho Fox, Master of Darkness, Defenders of Oasis, and Phantasy Star ). I think I'm gonna buy this just because it has Snail Maze on it. And also to finally realize my 12 year old dream of playing Sonic Triple Trouble on a TV set.

I hope these will be like the Atari Flashback 2, in that enterprising modders can add a cart slot to it. A Game Gear with a screen that doesn't suck, plus a/v output? Should've come out 12 years ago, but I'll take it now.

Anyway, I just found it interesting that COLECO of all companies is making such a thing. After many years of non-existence, COLECO makes its triumphant return... with a new Z80 device. Some things never change, I guess.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Raging in the Streets

Big question - is it legit?

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Must be a Game Gear and Master System clone since The Ninja was MS-only as I recall...

Yes and so was the spectacular Snail Maze. In fact I don't think I see any GG-only titles. Well maybe, I dunno.

they have these at target for $44.99

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000IO6LEC

here's a review from some guy on Atari-Age...I just copy/paste it, but half of the stuff he says, just makes...some good highlights:

Hardware: The build quality of this device is well above average, definitely better than the VGPocket games, and at least on par with the GP2X. The case is glossy black plastic with a subtle marble/sparkle finish. The whole thing looks nice in person, despite the nasty red COLECO logo. It feels substantial in the hand, but definitely smooth and pocketable. It's larger than the GB Micro, about the size and thickness of a largish cell phone, but very light. It doesn't make any noise when you twist it. There are two speakers on the front of the device, probably dual mono output. The screen is large and bright, with excellent color saturation and contrast. The buttons have a nice springy feel to them. The two buttons above the D-pad on the left are volume + and -, which come in handy since the device doesn't remember your volume setting when you switch it off. The buttons over the A and B action buttons on the right are RESET (to the game select menu) and START. There are no shoulder buttons or volume wheels on the device, just a small slot for a wrist strap. A headphone jack on the bottom of the unit is intelligently placed and doesn't get in the way.

Hackability?: The unit takes 3 AAA batteries and you need a small screwdriver to open the battery compartment. The device is held together by 4 small screws so it looks like it would be easy for Ben Heckendorn and friends to get inside easily. I didn't open mine -- I want to play some games for my fifty bucks, first. There's a jack for an external power adapter (DC 5V), as well as a standard mini-AV jack for audio/video output (included) should you want to play on the big screen. I'm happy with the built-in games for now, but it would be neat to expand this device. It almost feels like there's enough room in the case to do something like that.

Software: I don't know if this is a "SMS-on-a-chip," but it feels like the real thing to me, rather than emulation. Sounds are loud and accurate, and video is displayed in the game's original aspect ratio. Since different video systems are present on the software in this device, some games are upscaled to fill the whole screen, while others are displayed in a window. Text is readable in all modes and motion blur is minimal -- on par with GBA Micro and MUCH better than the original Game Gear. It's nice to have Sonic Triple Trouble on the run in my pocket, and having Snail Maze without a TV-based console. The game selection was done by someone who knows the Sega library, as there are no issues like those you sometimes see with pirate multicarts, such as duplicates, unplayable dogs, or titles that need the lightgun or 3D glasses. These are OLD games, but unlike some of the recent "new" games that were created for plug and play devices, most of these have a measure of professional polish. In other words, I'd rather play great games from the late 80s than crappy games from last week.

Game list: (they're displayed in this order in the software menu)
    Sonic Drift 2
    Sonic Triple Trouble
    Alex Kidd in High Tech World
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Altered Beast
    Assault City
    Astro Warrior
    Aztec Adventure
    Bomber Raid
    Columns
    Ecco II: The Tides of Time
    Fantasy Zone
    Fantasy Zone: The Maze
    Global Defense
    Kung Fu Kid
    The Ninja
    Penguin Land
    Quartet
    Snail Maze
    Super Columns

Kung-Fu Kid, Penguin Land, and Miracle World on the go? Hell yes! I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

I wish science would stick to cloning sheep, rabbits and stem cells. The last thing the world needs is a Game Gear clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

This looks very interesting, especially with the improved screen. Damn shame I'm completely broke from the holidays or I'd go pick one up now.

It would've been nice to see Alex Kidd in Shinobi World on there too, but the selection is really nice as-is.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

It would have been awsome if both GG Shinobis were included...!

This Looks AWESOME! The most alluring aspect is the inclusion of a better screen. The overall slickness makes it cool. Now if only the price was lower...

Blades

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    Yes and so was the spectacular Snail Maze. In fact I don't think I see any GG-only titles. Well maybe, I dunno.
    Sonic Triple Trouble and Drift 2 were both GG-only. I believe Super Columns was as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive
    Big question - is it legit?
    Since they're selling these at Target, I would assume so.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

It'd be cool for $20, not so for $45-50.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

Eh, I'll probably cave and buy it. It looks interesting, and if nothing more it'll be a nice piece to my 'interesting but ultimately needless' collection.

Road Rasher

It appears(based on another forum's thread) that it wouldn't be hard to add a cart slot.

EDIT!: It wouldn't be hard to someone with EXPERIENCE WITH SURFACE MOUNT CHIPS.
    I'm not tackling this...I'd pay $50 for the mod, though.
    Last edited by TheGZeus; 12-25-2006 at 10:08 PM.

Sports Talker StealthNinjaScyther's Avatar

I had no plans to get this. Not that I didn't think it was neat, but $50...

So, good new everyone:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...C&frombrowse=1

$20. Also, use the code TCBABYET to knock off another $2, apparently it expires 2/14, so use it quick if you want one.

Thread Information