Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Megadrive X clone system

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

And builtin overclock...I'd like to try one of those.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Spectral Savant WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    And builtin overclock...I'd like to try one of those.
    Yeah, you gotta hand it to it though, it's certainly one of the better clone systems out there with those added inclusions factored in

Wildside Expert

EDIT: having watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGfbca1-UPk now I know that:

Can anyone confirm whether:
    - standard Genesis / Mega Drive controllers work on this? Yes, they do
    - it outputs RGB? No, it does not

Any chance of modding this for RGB output?
    Last edited by MtothaJ; 10-18-2013 at 04:20 AM.
    Mega Drive 1 Pal G ('High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound' model / VA4 / no-TMSS)
    Mods: switchable 50 & 60hz | switchable ENG & JAP | line out audio | enlarged cartridge slot

Wildside Expert

I have briefly tried a Mega Drive X yesterday, overall impressions are positive:
    - good image quality for composite
    - sound sounds fine (this can be a major issue with many clones)
    - the two packaged 6 button controlelrs are of a decent quality and can be used with a OEM Mega Drive
    - works fine with an Everdrive
    - lot of different modes - change languages, 50/60hz, overclock

Did not want to take it apart to explore RGB mods etc. since I bought this as a xmas present for kids in the family
    Mega Drive 1 Pal G ('High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound' model / VA4 / no-TMSS)
    Mods: switchable 50 & 60hz | switchable ENG & JAP | line out audio | enlarged cartridge slot

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

That's a cool little clone system! Not bad at all! It's impressive that it has many features from the original Genesis/Mega Drive. Color scheme strays from the typical black...

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post
    That's a cool little clone system! Not bad at all! It's impressive that it has many features from the original Genesis/Mega Drive. Color scheme strays from the typical black...
    It would look better in black IMO - like a Genesis model 3, also the orange cartridge slot spring cover is a bit of a weird choice, but all in all these are just minor gripes. The cable that comes with the console only has two pins inside (composite and mono audio) however the female conenctor on the system has 8 or 9 pins in total (its like a minature connector from a OEM Genesis) - I wonder whether its outputing anything else through that connector.
    As I mentioned the 6 button pads alone may justify the cost of buying this - quality is pretty good and unlike the used pads out there these are clean / brand new etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MtothaJ View Post
    As I mentioned the 6 button pads alone may justify the cost of buying this - quality is pretty good and unlike the used pads out there these are clean / brand new etc.
    Definitely a good feature. I'm surprised that the quality is good! After restoring a couple controllers myself recently, I'd like to say that you can bring most controllers back to great condition as long as they aren't abused. It's a long process though. Takes me a few hours per controller, but they come out clean and usually working like new. Sometimes, it's better to have a slightly worn controller, which I can only describe as breaking in something for better feel.

Reviews in the pipeline:

Wildside Expert

Definitely a good feature. I'm surprised that the quality is good! After restoring a couple controllers myself recently, I'd like to say that you can bring most controllers back to great condition as long as they aren't abused. It's a long process though. Takes me a few hours per controller, but they come out clean and usually working like new. Sometimes, it's better to have a slightly worn controller, which I can only describe as breaking in something for better feel.
    I know you can get reasonably good effects cleaning up the old controllers, but to be honest it was really refreshing to open up the box and have controllers which were in pristine, never been used before condition, without having to devote time / energy to scrubbing the grime off them / brining them back to life

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

I know you can get reasonably good effects cleaning up the old controllers, but to be honest it was really refreshing to open up the box and have controllers which were in pristine, never been used before condition, without having to devote time / energy to scrubbing the grime off them / brining them back to life
    What is the process you two use? I have a couple of TG-16 controllers that need cleaning up.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    What is the process you two use? I have a couple of TG-16 controllers that need cleaning up.
    I basically followed this guide - http://retrorgb.com/cleanconsoles.html
    Goo gone, soappy water, compressed air etc. It works ok, however Goo gone leaves quite a lot of white residue so you need to wash it off really thouroughly.
    Definietly makes the pads more hygenic, as for better controlability the key thing is the state of the rubber pads between the buttons and the contacts - if they are fcuk'ed then that is a problem that no amount of washing will cure.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Any chance of modding this for RGB output?
    It depends entirely on the GOAC. If there's a TCT-6801 like on the MegaDrive X shown in the video, the best you can do is S-Video. However, some of these also have the SM801-A1, which is the most complete clone GOAC, RGB included. I found a mod to get RGB off the SM801-A1 on a Russian forum, but I'll have to find the link to that mod again. I remember it involving 3 transistors and some resistors.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    It depends entirely on the GOAC. If there's a TCT-6801 like on the MegaDrive X shown in the video, the best you can do is S-Video. However, some of these also have the SM801-A1, which is the most complete clone GOAC, RGB included. I found a mod to get RGB off the SM801-A1 on a Russian forum, but I'll have to find the link to that mod again. I remember it involving 3 transistors and some resistors.
    Since its just a couple of screws I opened up the MD X - this particular one is a TCT-6801 so no RGB options unfortunately

I have briefly tried a Mega Drive X yesterday, overall impressions are positive:
    - good image quality for composite
    - sound sounds fine (this can be a major issue with many clones)
    - the two packaged 6 button controlelrs are of a decent quality and can be used with a OEM Mega Drive
    - lot of different modes - change languages, 50/60hz, overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by negative chill View Post
    Yeah, you gotta hand it to it though, it's certainly one of the better clone systems out there with those added inclusions factored in
    Agreed. I also got mine yesterday and i also think it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    Sorry I missed that! I've typed up my method below, but it probably deviates some from that Retro RGB link. I chose to leave Goo Gone and Windex optional, since it can get expensive if used in bulk. Let me know if you'd like some cleaning ideas. I can either post on this thread or I can PM you.

Part of my steps for cleaning controllers is similar to this video. I don't like to use Windex, but you can if you want. Instead, I use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol diluted with some water on plastics and those rubber button membranes with the contact pads. Then, I use Dawn dish soap and water to wash off the plastics. I only rinsed the rubber button contact pads with water, since I'm not sure if you can use Dawn with those. Dawn, water, and some form of towel are great for cleaning cables.

My method is below the video.

I don't have a TurboPad on hand, but does it have a decal on the faceplate of the controller? If that's the case, you might have to change your methods to clean it.

Here's how I cleaned my Genesis and Saturn controllers:

First, get your supplies:

-Table or workbench
    -Screwdriver
    -Dishes for separate fluids
    -70% Isopropyl Alcohol diluted with water
    -91% Isopropyl Alcohol
    -Dawn Dish Soap
    -Towels, paper towels, shop towels, or whatever you use that won't leave dust or fuzz
    -Q-Tips (Or even better, electronic swabs, or Tamiya Craft Cotton Swabs)
    -Toothpicks
    -Compressed Air
    -Sponge
    -Toothbrush
    -Goo Gone (if required for removing troublesome sticky stuff). Wash off with Dawn and water.
    -Camera if needed. You might want to take pictures of the controller to remember how to assemble it again. I made this mistake and didn't install the cable correctly.

Step 1: Disassemble controller face down on a table with a screwdriver. You might want to do this with a soft towel underneath so the screws don't bounce around. Put screws in a safe place, so you don't lose them. Separate two halves of controller and slowly remove the electronic board inside along with the connected cable.

Step 2: Remove the rubber button membranes from the face of the electronic board. Remove buttons (usually held in by tabs) and D-pad (can be separated by pulling apart). Place all of these in a dish filled with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol diluted with some water. You can clean the electronic contacts on the board which activate button presses with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and swabs. Set controller board aside and cover.

Step 3: Use your cleaning tools with 70% Alcohol diluted with water to disinfect the controller halves. Use the towel of your choice with 70% for wiping most of the controller halves. For more detailed work, use toothbrush, swabs, and toothpicks with 70%. You can also use Goo Gone for sticky stuff during this step. When done, set the controller halves aside on a towel for now.

Step 4: Remove rubber button membranes, buttons, and D-Pad from 70% alcohol diluted dish. Place on towel. If needed, use clean 70% alcohol diluted with water to disinfect and hand wash each piece with cleaning tools. Use toothbrush for plastic buttons. Use softer tools for wiping off rubber button membranes. Rinse all of these parts after disinfecting. Place parts on towel when done.

Step 5: Wash controller halves, plastic buttons, and D-pad with Dawn dish soap and water. You might want to do this at the sink. Use soft sponge to cover most of it. Use detailed tools to get the nooks and crannies. Dry off each part as well as you can with absorbent towels and compressed air. Set separate parts aside on absorbent towel to let dry the rest of the way.

Step 6: Once all parts are clean and dry, start assembling the controller again. If I remember right, I did this with the faceplate down on a table and assembled face to back. Make sure that everything is exactly how it was before you opened it. Don't torque the screws too much, just take it easy.

Step 7: Wash controller cable with Dawn, water, and towels. This should be done several times until clean. A little bit of 70% and water wouldn't hurt for the outside of the cable plug, then wash off with a little soap and water. Dry off.

Step 8: Test controller and play!

If I missed anything, let me know.
    Last edited by FuturePrimitive; 12-19-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Reviews in the pipeline:

Genesis

I had my friend upload some video clips i made:

Thread Information