Quantcast

Thread: MD Famiclone PAL/NTSC mod help needed

Default MD Famiclone PAL/NTSC mod help needed

So I just came across this Euro PAL/50Hz Famiclone on a MD shell (see pics below). It has some sort of an early NOAC. The unit isn't anything great and is built mostly around cheapo plastic more than anything and after a closer inspection, it looked like as if it was possible to do a PAL to NTSC mod as the board clearly shows jumpers for it.

The only set of jumpers that I can see are marked with a "P/N" ( assuming PAL/NTSC here) and numbers "5/6" .

I went ahead and replaced the xtal for NTSC, but only after closing the jumper labeled "5/6" (pulled low to GND) it worked again. So I suspect jumper "5/6" is for driving the xtal. Then I tried several combinations with the remaining "P/N" jumper but for some reason I can't get it to do 60Hz at all so I'm basically stuck with 50Hz NTSC . Is there really a possibility for this NOAC to run NTSC/60Hz or is the masking of the board trying to punk'd me? . Ideas or suggestions are welcome .

This is the solder side of the board showing some of the possible spots and showing the traces for "P/N". Red jumper line is the closed "5/6" jp trace.

Last edited by Segaedge; 07-04-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

The P/N jumper should be for selecting if video out is PAL (4.433619MHz subcarrier) or NTSC (3.579545MHz), but not 50 or 60Hz, for that there needs to be a 3rd jumper somewhere (but that's not a feature most famiclones support). It is interesting to see that it supports 21/26MHz crystal though.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

YM2612 in soul Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Peeteris's Avatar

This is very significant clone to persons living in Baltic States, not sure why though.
    If someone talks about 8-bit consoles here, it's Zhiliton not NES, famicom or Dendy.
    TmEE can make an input here, if I am not overestimating.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeteris View Post
    This is very significant clone to persons living in Baltic States, not sure why though.
    If someone talks about 8-bit consoles here, it's Zhiliton not NES, famicom or Dendy.
    TmEE can make an input here, if I am not overestimating.
    Its not the worst by any means + the MD touch is nice .

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    The P/N jumper should be for selecting if video out is PAL (4.433619MHz subcarrier) or NTSC (3.579545MHz), but not 50 or 60Hz, for that there needs to be a 3rd jumper somewhere (but that's not a feature most famiclones support). It is interesting to see that it supports 21/26MHz crystal though.
    You are correct. I've seen plently of Noac boards with the 3 jumpers (example below) :

So what's the deal with the Zhiliton board, am I missing something? are the jumper traces for a different region combination rather than for NTSC/60Hz?

@ Peeteris, I do see what you mean , skip to minute 3:00

Last edited by Segaedge; 07-04-2017 at 01:48 PM.

There doesn't seem to be any Zhiliton or Dendy or other fetishisms here, all of those things were called "TV game". There was a huge variety of those, ones I've seen the most are the Ending-Man / Terminator variety and whole bunch of MD2 shaped ones. I have one Zhiliton thing but in rough shape and I have seen a variation of it that went on its own direction rather than being a mirror MD1 thing haha.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Any idea of why this Zhiliton has jumpers for those settings but not a proper jumper for 50/60Hz? Which region combination can it produce?

I have seen several chipsets that have jumpers that don't do anything at all or only do some stuff. 50/60 setting is a rare thing among the clone chipsets in my experience. The zhiliton thing I have has a different board and it has jumpers marked as PAL/NTSC and 50/60Hz and the 50/60Hz one also doesn't do anything, though the PAL/NTSC one doesn't do anything either on it. If I were you I'd just be swapping out the middle board with something nicer.

YM2612 in soul Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Peeteris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Segaedge View Post
    Its not the worst by any means + the MD touch is nice .

You are correct. I've seen plently of Noac boards with the 3 jumpers (example below) :

So what's the deal with the Zhiliton board, am I missing something? are the jumper traces for a different region combination rather than for NTSC/60Hz?

@ Peeteris, I do see what you mean , skip to minute 3:00

Well, seems I am at least half right if Lithuania is also into Zhilitons.
    TmEE - the same in Latvia (ending man's, MD 2 shaped, UFO's) but usually everyone calls them Zhiliton's.

Thread Information