Quantcast

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: New RGB to Component converter design using the BA7230LS

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

I have made some really interesting discoveries with the BA7230LS over the past two days. While this is redundant, I wanted to see, using the RGB output of my fat PlayStation 2, if the BA7230LS can handle an RGB input at 480p or higher. Well guess what? It doesn't even break a sweat AND it handles Sync on Green. I managed to get the PlayStation 2 all the way up to 1080i and the video feed came through perfectly fine, no smearing, no blurriness. With this in mind, I have once again revised this circuit. Here is v5.0 of the BA7230LS RGB to Component converter.

Changes from v4.0 are as follows:
    -R4 changed from 220ohms to 680ohms
    -Sync mixing relocated to the green input
    -R7 and R8 changed to 75ohms.
    -R2 reverted to 75ohms
    -R6 changed to 62ohms
    -R11 changed to 20ohms

And here's a 1080i screenshot of Gran Turismo 4 taken straight from my Hauppauge HD PVR 2 running through this circuit:

HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

I recently got a Scart cable to the Saturn and I have a question.
    If I connect a Scart to Component cable on it and put the 5 pins on my CRT TV, will it display the image normally? Or would I need one of those Scart to Componet boxes, even with the TV being a regular (no HD) CRT model?

If it's just a straight cable going from SCART to Component, that will not work unless your TV can handle RGB over the Component inputs (I've rarely ever seen this). RGB and Component are not the same thing; you need to transcode an RGB signal for it to be usable on a TV's Component input regardless of whether it's a CRT or a flat-panel display.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

OK, looks like I must get one of these boxes. I was thinking they were just to convert the signal to HD TVs, since I have an DVD player that works normally in the component input of my CRT. Thanks anyway.

Hey Ace, what does your latest circuit design look like if you have a clean H/V Sync source and don't need a Sync stripper ?

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Ace, did you happen to try v5 on older systems like the genesis or sms? Trying to troubleshoot a circuit... thanks!

Both the Master System and Genesis work on v5.0, although the circuit seems to not work properly with arcade boards. I'll have to look into this.

can you get the Genesis up to a 480p with v5? how does it upscale the video ? .. if this is answered some where else Im sorry, I havent caught up with the last 6 or so pages

I don't know if it's directly answered but this circuit doesn't upscale. Whatever resolution goes in comes out. He was just showing that the chip itself can handle greater resolutions.

Right on, Xalphenos. This is just doing video signal conversion, not upscaling, so if you want to use this circuit on a TV that rejects 240p over Component, you're not gonna get anything out of this circuit.

For upscaling purposes, I'm looking to adapt Dooklink's work on the SHMUPS forum with the Gonbes GBS-82x0 RGB/Component to VGA converter boards to make an RGB to Component converter with line-doubling for TVs that reject 240p over Component as this will allow for 480p output instead of the output being the same resolution as the input.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    For upscaling purposes, I'm looking to adapt Dooklink's work on the SHMUPS forum with the Gonbes GBS-82x0 RGB/Component to VGA converter boards to make an RGB to Component converter with line-doubling for TVs that reject 240p over Component as this will allow for 480p output instead of the output being the same resolution as the input.
    That would be awesome. Even for someone like me who has an LCD TV that does take 240p over component, it would still be worth it to feed my TV a progressive signal that it will recognize as a progressive signal, which would also presumably result in less lag and a sharper picture.

I've also heard of a couple others who are or may be working on a line-doubler in the near future, including the guys making those Genesis/SNES component cables, HD Retrovision.

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this question.

The schematics for the BA7230LS show that it has svideo and composite video output capability. I am trying to build the circuit for this just as a test. I am not experienced enough to understand where the burst flag pulse (BFP) and the pedestal clamp pulse (PCP) signals come from for those input pins.

The application notes state that if only using the RGB inputs, and not both RGB + video inputs, to ground the video input pin, and sync BFP and PCP to RGB. Does that mean simply connecting those pins to the RGB sync signal, as well? I have already built the NTSC circuit, and sent +5v to the NTSC/PAL selector pin, but i am getting no color from the svideo output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sports Talker

Hi there

I just bought the necessaru ICs to do the N64 RGB mod and thei RGB to component mod. I plan on soldering the Y, Pb and Pr pins to the unused pins on the N64's multi-out (the ones which should be used to RGB) and build a custom cable with a multi AV plug I have and some RCA cables. Thanks for yout circuit.

Sports Talker

I made my rgb to yuv converter using the ba6594af senc , luma ist to bright and colors are weak in comparasion with svideo, i read a lot of this enc also i found that encoder dont need amps for yb and yr, i put a 220uf caps on each color line but i get a werid colors, now i add a 130ohms to Y and the image has a lot less bbright, but color still weak, i use ace rgb to yuv ba6592 enc diagram, but i need to do something to power up the color

Sorry my english is hard to read xD

Wildside Expert Retropolis Zone's Avatar

Does anybody know if using V5.0 of this converter will work with the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable (or comparable capture cards) to capture 240p over Component? I see no reason why it shouldn't, but I've learnt over the years video equipment can be picky as hell. I ask this because I want to record retro consoles in pixel-perfect RGB form (or something that comes very close, anyway). I've looked into various methods to achieve this, of which the most popular seems to be the Framemeister scaler, but I refuse to put down so much money for a device that seriously shouldn't cost as much as it does. I wouldn't be using scanlines even if I did get it, so this converter seems way more affordable and should deliver virtually the same results.

While I am at it, will this converter work with the NES, SNES and N64?
    Last edited by Retropolis Zone; 04-28-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Thread Information