Quantcast

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New RGB to Component converter design using the BA7230LS

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Bit of a late response, but I believe the Super NES Mini requires both 75ohm resistors and 220uF capacitors on its RGB lines. If you still have this Super NES Mini on hand, see what happens if you add 220uF capacitors to the RGB lines.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

The caps won't make a difference in image quality they're just there to protect the encoder. The easiest way to fix the brightness is to adjust the luma resistors on the component output.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Bit of a late response, but I believe the Super NES Mini requires both 75ohm resistors and 220uF capacitors on its RGB lines. If you still have this Super NES Mini on hand, see what happens if you add 220uF capacitors to the RGB lines.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

I thought those caps would act as a pseudo high pass filter. No?
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

I had to put the 75 ohm resistors on the RGB lines, but the official SCART/RGB cable has caps built into it. I don't have the machine any longer, but I wound up dropping the resistor on the sync/luma out line to 50 ohms and it looked great.

Hmm... this makes me wonder if the Composite Sync out of the Super NES Mini is too strong for this circuit. An excessively strong Composite Sync will result in a very dark image, so there is a possibility that even Composite Sync requires a 75ohm resistor. I'm gonna have to wire up an RGB cable for my Super NES Mini with 75ohm resistors and 220uF capacitors on the RGB lines and a 75ohm resistor on Composite Sync.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Hmm... this makes me wonder if the Composite Sync out of the Super NES Mini is too strong for this circuit. An excessively strong Composite Sync will result in a very dark image, so there is a possibility that even Composite Sync requires a 75ohm resistor. I'm gonna have to wire up an RGB cable for my Super NES Mini with 75ohm resistors and 220uF capacitors on the RGB lines and a 75ohm resistor on Composite Sync.
    Yeah. I was even thinking about buying one myself to mess around with. I wasn't expecting that image quality at all, especially after looking at the RGB pics from gamesx.com.

So wait, you can do this to a Mini SNES?

Well shit, If I'd known that I wouldn't have gotten the ugly fat model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Oh. I'm kind of new to the Genesis so I didn't know. It took a lot of time tearing that MUSHA label off. It came off in many pieces so I just stuck them on the insert and manual (which I also trashed) while I was doing it. I did keep the plastic case, though!

I have an OG SNES, can I get component cables for it or Jap21PINRGB cables for it?

No something would have to connect to ground for any filtering. When I read the encoder datasheet (I forget which encoder this was) caps on the inputs and outputs are just to prevent power surges killing the encoder chip.

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I thought those caps would act as a pseudo high pass filter. No?

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Ok. Thanks for correcting me.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    No something would have to connect to ground for any filtering. When I read the encoder datasheet (I forget which encoder this was) caps on the inputs and outputs are just to prevent power surges killing the encoder chip.
    Even I thought the caps served as high-pass filters as I know in audio circuits, if you place a capacitor in the circuit, the bass gets weaker depending on the capacitor you put. Essentially, the weaker the cap, the more high-pass filtering there is.

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    I have an OG SNES, can I get component cables for it or Jap21PINRGB cables for it?
    Component cables don't exist for the Super NES, but you should be able to get a Japanese 21-pin RGB cable like this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SNES-SUPER-FA...item53ef02ca29

Last time I messed with building low pass or high pass filters something would always connect to ground. When you have a signal passing through a resistor and a cap but with nothing tieing it to ground no filtering occurs. I'm not saying it's impossible I'm mistaken, however from my experience adding a resistor or cap or both in series with any signal doesn't filter anything.

Even I thought the caps served as high-pass filters as I know in audio circuits, if you place a capacitor in the circuit, the bass gets weaker depending on the capacitor you put. Essentially, the weaker the cap, the more high-pass filtering there is.

Component cables don't exist for the Super NES, but you should be able to get a Japanese 21-pin RGB cable like this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SNES-SUPER-FA...item53ef02ca29
    Won't the colors be all fuct up with that cable? I needs resistors right?

Thanks

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Won't the colors be all fuct up with that cable? I needs resistors right?

Thanks
    Only the PAL model 1 needs resistors.

NTSC model 1 doesn't use them, and the SNES 2 was never released in PAL. (all SNES 2's need a mod for RGB anyway)

Electron Guns Nameless One CathodeRayTubes's Avatar

Don't forget POTs on the RGB inputs.

Now, I was thinking of making some pre-assembled RGB to Component converters with the rest of the BA7230LSes I have and selling those off. I don't have a PCB design to use, but once I get a PCB design for the different variants of the box, I will be taking custom orders and making a price for the boxes. I will make boxes with the following options: .
    I have been using mostly sop to dip adapters for most of my projects and just wiring them strait into the consoles, however I am looking into pcb fabrication since the next projects I will be working on will be using multiple Ic's, most of the pcb fab websites are very expensive and would not be cost effective for me are there any pcb fab companys anyone would recommend that would be decent that they have had experience with?

[edit]

Forgot to mention I will be trying this one on one of my n64s soon here in which I use a CXA2075 for the RGB amp. I will mention that I have already done this with the BA6592F on one of my n64 units with great sucess. I will try to post pics if anyone wants to see the results.
    Last edited by CathodeRayTubes; 11-11-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    THE RGB EXPERIENCE!
    "Its all about the 15khz res scanlines, and the color fidelity of RGB!"

Visit my website via http://www.retrogaming-mods.com/

Thread Information