Quantcast

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New RGB to Component converter design using the BA7230LS

Electron Guns Nameless One CathodeRayTubes's Avatar

Here are the Images of the n64 with the BA6592F, I will post more pics when I finish the ROHM BA7230LS.

Mario 64

Component Jacks on Side of n64

Zelda Majoras Mask

Mario Kart64

The photos really dont do its justice it looks waaaay better in person of course if I had access to a better camera that would help too, these are taken with a Iphone4 camera, and the video is displayed on a Sony CRT HDTV to give an idea of what it can look like on newer HD sets, though I prefere standard def 240p 15khz with scanlines. But really its not too bad looking for bein on an HD set also the built in video scaler has to vary as well from set to set.
    THE RGB EXPERIENCE!
    "Its all about the 15khz res scanlines, and the color fidelity of RGB!"

Visit my website via http://www.retrogaming-mods.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CathodeRayTubes View Post
    Component Jacks on Side of n64
    Handlebar mod sold separately.

I keep forgetting to buy the parts to build the BA7230LS circuit since I'm too busy with other projects / commissions / gaming. Must add this somewhere on my priority list.

And now that we have yet another skilled modder posting here this's basically how I feel right now:

I am interested in one of these as well please.

I would love a component modded N64 as well please.

Electron Guns Nameless One CathodeRayTubes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Handlebar mod sold separately.

I keep forgetting to buy the parts to build the BA7230LS circuit since I'm too busy with other projects / commissions / gaming. Must add this somewhere on my priority list.

And now that we have yet another skilled modder posting here this's basically how I feel right now:

It was time for me to step out of the shadows, believe it or not I have been seeing you alot on many different forum and even YouTube. I must say drakon you do some great work. I have even see when ppl put you down about the glue but you know that glue is great and cheap insurance as well.

And as of right now I believe that us modders are all waiting for the next milestone in the moding business, you guessed it the reproduction of the famous nes rgb ppu!

And I have high hopes for the guy working on the universal ppu. I am also thinking of taking on this project as well but from a lil bit different approach but have not decided yet on something concrete.

And btw that turtles movie was great.
    THE RGB EXPERIENCE!
    "Its all about the 15khz res scanlines, and the color fidelity of RGB!"

Visit my website via http://www.retrogaming-mods.com/

Unfortunately I have zero skill when it comes to reproducing custom chips, oh well.

Once you're done making a fpga nes ppu build me a device that runs pc engine cd isos from a sd card on the real hardware....please!

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

I just finished a Genesis mod this weekend using the 7230, and the color is really over-saturated, and not at all sharp. I haven't had a chance to play with the luma line, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue using said encoder?

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

The Genesis, at least the VA2 Model 1, looked absolutely terrific on the BA7230LS when I had it running through my encoder box. Which Genesis are you using and do you have the 75ohm resistors + 220uF capacitors in series on the RGB lines?
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    The Genesis, at least the VA2 Model 1, looked absolutely terrific on the BA7230LS when I had it running through my encoder box. Which Genesis are you using and do you have the 75ohm resistors + 220uF capacitors in series on the RGB lines?
    Wait, what?

I'm using the schematic you have in your first post. 1uF caps in series with 2 1kohm resistors in parallel (1 pull down, one tied to R/G/B)

I'm using a VA6, which is also producing vertical bars on the component, strangely enough.

That's not strange if you disconnect the colour subcarrier line on the pcb that should fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    Wait, what?

I'm using the schematic you have in your first post. 1uF caps in series with 2 1kohm resistors in parallel (1 pull down, one tied to R/G/B)

I'm using a VA6, which is also producing vertical bars on the component, strangely enough.

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Wait, what?

It's like Drakon says. Component doesn't itself fix vertical bars. They remain if already present in the source image.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    That's not strange if you disconnect the colour subcarrier line on the pcb that should fix it.
    Can't do that - its wired for s-video and composite, too...

Quote Originally Posted by lumclaw View Post
    It's like Drakon says. Component doesn't itself fix vertical bars. They remain if already present in the source image.
    I'm wondering if I use the RGB ins if it would make a difference, if not maybe a low pass filter on the rgb lines to filter out the subcarrier signal. I don't want to draw any more amperage from the console, though... we'll see.

The jailbars come from interference from the subcarrier signal. For how the traces are laid out, the sub carrier is right next to the RGB lines when they are fed into the encoder chip of the Genesis. That's where the interference happens. If you tap the RGB lines from a place before they get near the subcarrier you might get a jailbar free image though. I don't remember if Drakon tried that when we discussed this a while ago.

Yeah, I've read through this thread and the 6592 thread - hell, I've even made this circuit before. The problem is that it took so long for getting parts from UTSource that I forgot what tweaks I did to make it right. There's got to be some fundamental issue that I'm overlooking, but between 45 hours weeks at work, school 3 nights a week, and a family on top of it all (during the holidays, no less!), I'm a bit stretched for time to sit down and figure this one out alone.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Wait, what?

I meant does your RGB cable (or do you have an internal Component mod?) have 75ohm resistors and 220uF capacitors in series on the RGB lines. You need those before the voltage divider.

Let me see your circuit. Something tells me you forgot the transistor on Luminance or your transistor is faulty. I would get dark and blurry video with oversaturated colors when I had no transistor on Luminance.

How much do the vertical lines show themselves on this VA6 Genesis Model 1? On my VA2, they're less visible with Component than they are with RGB.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

It isn't that hard to test. Temporary disconnect the subcarrier line, just to see what effect on component results.

Makes sure you're really dealing with the problem we suspect.

Thread Information