Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: This is SEGA authorized products?

  1. #16
    Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,713
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    Its mildly possible Atgames turned over a new leaf with this new one. Better emulation and build quality.
    I think there would be a greater chance of a perfectly accurate and compatible NOAC than seeing anything better from AtGames. They've been rehashing the same shit over and over again since 2008, what makes you believe they'll change anything 4 years later?

    Quote Originally Posted by NostalgicMachine View Post
    Same for all the multi-console crap; some of the worst representations of legendary and classic games I've ever see. Avoid Retro-Duo and all copycat devices!
    I guess you've never heard a RetroDuo with the NES audio fix? Apply that, and it's the most accurate of the legal Famiclones released since 2005. Of course, there are some turds like the GN Twin which is an absolutely TERRIBLE NES and has quite a few issues with Genesis games as well.

    Lately, though, it looks like all clone console manufacturers are cheapening out on their clones, and I have various examples:

    -FC Twin: Since the FC Twin Version 3, it's had overblown NES audio
    -Retro Entertainment System: The NOAC appears to have been downgraded to one with reversed duty cycles (mine has an NOAC with 90% accurate audio, so I don't know what the deal is with the RES I saw that had incorrect audio)
    -RetroN3: Super NES audio is murdered on the RetroN3 Version 2, Castlevania III compatibility has been removed from the new RetroN3 Version 3 (I was shocked to see this and completely disgusted - NEVER have I seen a clone manufacturer go to this extreme)
    -RetroN2: Super NES audio is in dual Mono (are you f***ing kidding me?!)

    To me, it seems as if Yobo Gameware is the only clone manufacturer that doesn't constantly degrade their hardware as it ages (only the FC Twin appears to have fallen victim to this, but if anyone has come across a different Yobo clone that's been degraded, let me know). Hyperkin is ESPECIALLY guilty of this with both the RetroN3 Version 2 and RetroN3 Version 3 as well as the new RetroN2, which just seems to be an overpriced FC Twin with very messy S-Video (my Electohome 27E510 TV, which is very tolerant of strong video signals, had serious sync issues whenever anything white would show on screen, and my capture device was having so much trouble, it wanted to completely lose the video feed), NES controller ports and worse build quality (cheap plastic, a system selector switch that feels like it's going to break in your hands and very poor finish on the paint). There are still some pretty decent clones out there, but one shouldn't all-out avoid them unless they want a 100% authentic experience, in which case, you should avoid the vast majority of clones (I say the vast majority as there are some Super Famiclones that are spot-on accurate (or very close to it) to the Super NES). If someone just wants a system to play their games on and isn't so fussy about accuracy, then by all means, get a 2-in-1 (FC Twin, RetroDuo with NES audio fix) or 3-in-1 (FC3 Plus, please - the RetroN3 has become garbage) clone. Just don't get anything made by AtGames. Even the worst NOACs with reversed duty cycles and crappy mixing are better than any of AtGames' software emulated solutions as even with their audio flaws, game are still somewhat recognizable, but with AtGames' shit, absolutely nothing is recognizable.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION


    Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

    Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

  2. #17
    Master of Shinobi NostalgicMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I guess you've never heard a RetroDuo with the NES audio fix? Apply that, and it's the most accurate of the legal Famiclones released since 2005. Of course, there are some turds like the GN Twin which is an absolutely TERRIBLE NES and has quite a few issues with Genesis games as well.

    Lately, though, it looks like all clone console manufacturers are cheapening out on their clones, and I have various examples:

    -FC Twin: Since the FC Twin Version 3, it's had overblown NES audio
    -Retro Entertainment System: The NOAC appears to have been downgraded to one with reversed duty cycles (mine has an NOAC with 90% accurate audio, so I don't know what the deal is with the RES I saw that had incorrect audio)
    -RetroN3: Super NES audio is murdered on the RetroN3 Version 2, Castlevania III compatibility has been removed from the new RetroN3 Version 3 (I was shocked to see this and completely disgusted - NEVER have I seen a clone manufacturer go to this extreme)
    -RetroN2: Super NES audio is in dual Mono (are you f***ing kidding me?!)

    To me, it seems as if Yobo Gameware is the only clone manufacturer that doesn't constantly degrade their hardware as it ages (only the FC Twin appears to have fallen victim to this, but if anyone has come across a different Yobo clone that's been degraded, let me know). Hyperkin is ESPECIALLY guilty of this with both the RetroN3 Version 2 and RetroN3 Version 3 as well as the new RetroN2, which just seems to be an overpriced FC Twin with very messy S-Video (my Electohome 27E510 TV, which is very tolerant of strong video signals, had serious sync issues whenever anything white would show on screen, and my capture device was having so much trouble, it wanted to completely lose the video feed), NES controller ports and worse build quality (cheap plastic, a system selector switch that feels like it's going to break in your hands and very poor finish on the paint). There are still some pretty decent clones out there, but one shouldn't all-out avoid them unless they want a 100% authentic experience, in which case, you should avoid the vast majority of clones (I say the vast majority as there are some Super Famiclones that are spot-on accurate (or very close to it) to the Super NES). If someone just wants a system to play their games on and isn't so fussy about accuracy, then by all means, get a 2-in-1 (FC Twin, RetroDuo with NES audio fix) or 3-in-1 (FC3 Plus, please - the RetroN3 has become garbage) clone. Just don't get anything made by AtGames. Even the worst NOACs with reversed duty cycles and crappy mixing are better than any of AtGames' software emulated solutions as even with their audio flaws, game are still somewhat recognizable, but with AtGames' shit, absolutely nothing is recognizable.
    I was not aware! The cheapening and lack of quality is blatantly obvious, though. Everything I've experienced and seen from the FC Twin was garbage, with colors on some games being off and glitchy, certain carts not working etc. I find it incredibly aggravating that Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse is one of those carts.

  3. #18
    Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,011
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    The new one does have Wily Wars included on it though doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    From what I've seen and heard about this one it's not really any better than what we've had before.

    This one has not even been released yet. Its possible they listened to the savage criticism of past models and stepped their game up. Afterall, whats the point of the device if it does not please the consumer base its aimed at?

    I did hear they improved the emulation a lot, but that may not be saying much if past models were that bad.

    Anyway, i just love the concept(the unit itself looks neat too) and want to believe they're capable of putting out something at least pretty decent. I dunno if i want to fork over $60 to find out though(i've heard its supposed to retail at $40, but its listed at amazon and elsewhere for $60).


    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    -RetroN3: Super NES audio is murdered on the RetroN3 Version 2, Castlevania III compatibility has been removed from the new RetroN3 Version 3 (I was shocked to see this and completely disgusted - NEVER have I seen a clone manufacturer go to this extreme)

    Seen various reviews on the Retron3 and it looks to be an excellent substitute system. Unless they borked recent models.

    Only gripe i have with it, is it looks more like a cart docking station than a game system.


    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The new one does have Wily Wars included on it though doesn't it?

    Only the handheld. The console has no capcom games on it, nor the SD card slot for roms.
    Last edited by Saturn Fan; 11-07-2012 at 03:02 PM.

  5. #20
    Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,713
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NostalgicMachine View Post
    I was not aware! The cheapening and lack of quality is blatantly obvious, though. Everything I've experienced and seen from the FC Twin was garbage, with colors on some games being off and glitchy, certain carts not working etc. I find it incredibly aggravating that Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse is one of those carts.
    Something tells me you've never used the FC Twins with Yobo branding on them. Those have accurate colors, but the video is very dark, making them more saturated than they really are. They have fairly accurate sound, too, but like I said, the Version 3 and Version 4 FC Twins (the only difference I can see between them is an updated Super NES clone chipset - the NES boards are identical) amplify it far too much, resulting in varying degrees of distortion. The fix is to replace two 33Kohm resistors by 2.2Kohm resistors or slightly higher if you want louder audio. Then, it will be like the FC Twin Version 2 with near-perfect everything.

    Now, of course, the only clones I've seen that can play Castlevania III are the RetroDuo (all versions), the RetroN3 Version 2 and the short-lived FC Dual (a MASSIVE pile of crap that was horribly unreliable). The others are all incapable of playing the game for one simple reason: missing /A13 signal. This is a VERY easy fix on clones that just omit /A13 and CIRAM /CE (the latter of which doesn't really seem necessary for Castlevania III to work): get a 74LS04 or equivalent inverter and generate your own /A13. You do so as follows:

    1) Solder pin 65 of the cartridge slot (A13) to pin 1 of the inverter
    2) Solder pin 2 of the inverter to pin 58 (/A13) of the cartridge slot
    3) Solder pin 14 of the inverter to any VCC source (preferably cartridge slot pin 36)
    4) Solder pin 7 of the inverter to any Ground source (preferably cartridge slot pin 72)

    I've done this to my GN Twin, which required a few extra steps which I will describe later, and I was able to play Castlevania III in its entirety with minimal issues. I noticed some graphical glitches, but they aren't too severe.

    Some clones, though, including the FC Twin and the RetroN3 Version 3, require you to break a trace between pins 57 and 58 of the cartridge slot. For whatever reason, they're linked on those clones, which is wrong. You would have to first break the trace before you can solder in the inverter.

    An even worse problem is with a lot of Yobo Gameware clones with crap NOACs, the RetroN3 Version 1 and even some of those illegal NOAC-based clones with built-in games: CIRAM /CE is wired wrong and /A13 is non-existent. What these clones do is to permanently tie CIRAM /CE from the cartridge slot to Ground and wire up CIRAM /CE from the NOAC to /A13 on the cartridge slot. If you get a clone like this, you must do the following:

    1) Cut pin 57 of the cartridge slot (this will leave CIRAM /CE from the cartridge slot floating)
    2) Cut pin 58 of the cartridge slot (this will now leave /A13 floating)
    3) Solder CIRAM /CE from the NOAC to Ground (using the solder point from pin 58, not the cut pin)
    4) Wire up the inverter

    Now, the reason I say to solder CIRAM /CE from the NOAC to Ground rather than pin 57 is because it doesn't seem to behave the same way as CIRAM /CE on an NES. If you leave CIRAM /CE on NOACs floating or tied to VCC, the entire NOAC stops working, so I'm under the impression it disables ALL the RAM in the NOAC.

    Once you do this, Castlevania III will work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    Seen various reviews on the Retron3 and it looks to be an excellent substitute system. Unless they borked recent models.
    Those must either be old reviews or reviews from people who are too stupid to perceive even the most obvious of problems. And yes, they did bork the RetroN3 Version 3 by stripping the NES side of the improved compatibility of the RetroN3 Version 2. In any case, there is no way in hell I will recommend a Hyperkin product ever again. It's just been fiasco after fiasco since the RetroN3 Version 1 was released.

    Also, a word of note on GOAC clones as I've said many times already: don't take their audio and video quality as being perfectly representative of what they're capable of because that is FAR from the truth. Most GOAC-based clones have excessively green Composite video due to resistors which shouldn't be in their video amps, and at the same time, they have messed-up audio in the form of distortion (varying degrees depending on the clone), incorrect volume levels and different filtering than original hardware. The thing with GOACs is that they're perfectly capable of having 100% video and audio, but Geniclone manufacturers just don't seem capable of making proper audio and video amps. And then, you've got those that try to be cheap and use GOACs with missing or non-working signals that break compatibility with Virtua Racing and Master System converters.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION


    Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

    Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

  6. #21
    Wildside Expert xingjinshuang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    CHINA HEBEI
    Posts
    144
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    In our China for just $7, sell you but 55 dollars, that's ridiculous!
    I is engaged in the furniture trade, please contact me, I have a lot Tea table chair dining tables and coffee table TV ark ,thank you. email :usb2.0@163.com

  7. #22
    Outrunner Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    536
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    It may be terrible quality for collectors/avid retrogamers, but it's fine for the general public.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    It may be terrible quality for collectors/avid retrogamers, but it's fine for the general public.

    Past devices didn't fit either bill. This new one is supposed to be a step up though.

  9. #24
    Zebbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Täby, Kingdom of Sweden
    Age
    32
    Posts
    8,601
    Rep Power
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xingjinshuang View Post
    In our China for just $7, sell you but 55 dollars, that's ridiculous!
    No wonder the quality is so bad then!

  10. #25
    Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,713
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    Past devices didn't fit either bill. This new one is supposed to be a step up though.
    Dude, you really need to lower your expectations of AtGames. All they've delivered on the Sega front is shit and they won't stop delivering shit anytime soon.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION


    Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

    Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

  11. #26
    Wildside Expert xingjinshuang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    CHINA HEBEI
    Posts
    144
    Rep Power
    13

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Dude, you really need to lower your expectations of AtGames. All they've delivered on the Sega front is shit and they won't stop delivering shit anytime soon.
    Attachment 5683

    Last edited by xingjinshuang; 11-09-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    I is engaged in the furniture trade, please contact me, I have a lot Tea table chair dining tables and coffee table TV ark ,thank you. email :usb2.0@163.com

  12. #27
    Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,713
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    I can't see your attachment. Considering the thumbs down I see in the post title, you didn't like what I said, so it must be something against my comment.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION


    Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

    Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

  13. #28
    will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,716
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Ain't as simple as "just" replacing the chip. Also, it's not just the emulation, the build quality of the atgames consoles is also terrible. Last year I went to a con where someone had brought a brand new handheld version of the consoles, one of the Firecores with a cartridge slot. So we all had a look at it, then the guy unboxed it, we put a game in, heard the horrible, off-key sound (though the game emulation seemed okay). Then the guy switched the handheld off, removed the cartridge... and accidentally pulled out the cardridge connector along with it! The entire thing was flimsy as heck.

    As far as I've heard, the other AtGames consoles have similar problems. The plastic and soldering is cheap, the hardware is prone to (literally) breaking and cracking. You'd probably be better of if you fashioned some casing yourself.
    Yep that happened with one of the ones I had. Put in a cart and promptly broke the thing. The cart slot wasn't even molded to be the correct size for a Genesis cartridge. AT Games needs to disappear off the face of the Earth.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

  14. #29
    will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,716
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    It may be terrible quality for collectors/avid retrogamers, but it's fine for the general public.
    Dos the general public really care to play these things though? Or would they rather play Modern Warfare and the WiiU? I really wonder who the target market is for this AT Games crap, because the retro gamers hate them and TBH I don't think the average modern gamer gives a rat's ass about 16 bit Sega games from 20 years ago.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xingjinshuang View Post

    Whats this supposed to show? And which Atgames model is this?


    Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    Dos the general public really care to play these things though? Or would they rather play Modern Warfare and the WiiU? I really wonder who the target market is for this AT Games crap, because the retro gamers hate them and TBH I don't think the average modern gamer gives a rat's ass about 16 bit Sega games from 20 years ago.

    The novelty crowd that would buy other(cheaper) plug & play thingys, and i guess modern gamers with a casual appreciation for older stuff.


    Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    Yep that happened with one of the ones I had. Put in a cart and promptly broke the thing. The cart slot wasn't even molded to be the correct size for a Genesis cartridge. AT Games needs to disappear off the face of the Earth.

    I saw a video review of an older model(2010'ish) where the cartridge slot pretty much held a deathgrip on the cart and it required some muscle to remove, but doing so bent the pins out of place.
    Last edited by Saturn Fan; 11-09-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •