Quantcast

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Full Review/rambling: Atgames Sega Genesis classic console 80 titles built-in

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    it doesn't have that far to go to appeal to both for optimum market success. Its a shame they won't put in a little more work to make their product better, it would go a long way!.
    I have had brief talks with folks at AtGames. Simply put, they seem to have no interest in putting more effort into the sound issues. I put up images of the board in hopes that some more folks can help in checking them out and more simple modifications can be made to these units on our own.

No amount of modifications will fix the sound problems with these units. The problem is in the emulator that runs on these systems. And there's no way to change that.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I don't understand how anyone who's played a real Genesis can think the sound coming out of an atgames clone is anything other than putrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

What the hell is the point of advertising the built-in Capcom games when this thing has an SD card slot that lets you load whatever roms you want... including Capcom games.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    No amount of modifications will fix the sound problems with these units. The problem is in the emulator that runs on these systems. And there's no way to change that.
    As i already mentioned a few posts back, previous hardware revisions have been able to fix the FM distortion and somewhat muted PSG sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    What the hell is the point of advertising the built-in Capcom games when this thing has an SD card slot that lets you load whatever roms you want... including Capcom games.
    Mega Man: The Wiley Wars does not work properly on their previous portable.

Quote Originally Posted by 404 View Post
    As i already mentioned a few posts back, previous hardware revisions have been able to fix the FM distortion and somewhat muted PSG sounds.
    The problem with the audio isn't FM Distortion or muted PSG sounds. It's that the thing is freaking out of tune and badly emulated. You can't fix that with a mod.

The problem with the audio isn't FM Distortion or muted PSG sounds. It's that the thing is freaking out of tune and badly emulated. You can't fix that with a mod.
    *SIGH*

Everyone is pretty much spot on when it comes to the sound.

If they would only be bothered to fix the sound octave depth, even if that meant leaving the FM distortion and PSG sound issues

Some earlier board revisions including the Radica made boards were able to be modified to clean up some of the FM Sound distortion and increase the volume of the PSG sounds. Unfortunately, the LM358 OpAmp is no longer being used on the current revisions of the board.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I thought about picking up the 80 games thing at a Rite Aid Black Friday sale for the hell of it because it was only $30 but I'd rather not support AtGames with any money and it really wasn't worth going out on Black Friday for.

*SIGH*
    The Radica board was made by a completely different company that actually used real hardware. The AtGames hardware doesn't use any real hardware at all. There's no point in doing any mods to this thing as you can't fix the problems.

AtGames hardware isn't a revision of previous clones, it's a brand new piece of shit system that uses an ARM chip and a bad emulator.

The hippies were right. Raging in the Streets AlecRob's Avatar

Why is it so hard for them to properly emulate hardware from 1988? Geeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    That console is a thing of beauty, not a slut...

My feedback thread

The Radica board was made by a completely different company that actually used real hardware. The AtGames hardware doesn't use any real hardware at all. There's no point in doing any mods to this thing as you can't fix the problems.

AtGames hardware isn't a revision of previous clones, it's a brand new piece of shit system that uses an ARM chip and a bad emulator.

You're joking right? You are actually going to tell someone that knows about these units that these are two completely different units totally unrelated to each other?

They all use the FireCore emulation hardware, they all have the same crap sound, they are all sub-licensed from AtGames and manufactured by Hantat technologies.

Look, I realize that these units are seen as blasphemous in the genesis community. Everyone hates the sound including myself. As i already mentioned before, i'm a tinkerer and I'm going to continue messing around with these crappy consoles until I'm tired of it and chuck it in the trash. With that said, your posts are not only flat out wrong, they show a pretty high level of ignorance about the actual hardware.

Here's a pic of a radica unit. So far i don't see any signs of that "real hardware" you are talking about.
    Last edited by 404; 11-27-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: for teh lulz

The Radica Hardware uses a Genesis on a Chip last I checked. That's pretty much the same thing as real hardware as far as we are concerned in this discussion. The Firecore systems don't use a GOAC or actual real chips. They use a 32-bit ARM CPU and run a bad emulator on it.

The Radica Hardware uses a Genesis on a Chip last I checked. That's pretty much the same thing as real hardware as far as we are concerned in this discussion. The Firecore systems don't use a GOAC or actual real chips. They use a 32-bit ARM CPU and run a bad emulator on it.
    They are both practically the same hardware. To make a long story short, the two companies got into a legal dispute immediately after sega and atgames announced a partnership where atgames was now the exclusive sublicense holder to the sega library. Radica, who had a license through Jakks Pacific sued Atgames. Atgames counter sued and Radica withdrew portions of their lawsuit and lost the remaining portions of their suit. The two groups quickly settled and began a brief platform sharing partnership that lasted until Radica was purchased by Mattel in 2006.

see more info on the suit below
    http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx...006&SizeDisp=7

Radica were the ones responsible for the first incarnation of the hardware that subsequently changed over time.

The hardware has nothing in common. Radica's clones used a Genesis on a Chip. AtGames hardware uses an ARM CPU running an emulator. The two have nothing in common. The lawsuit most likely has to do with the Genesis logo and games, not the hardware.

The hardware has nothing in common. Radica's clones used a Genesis on a Chip. AtGames hardware uses an ARM CPU running an emulator. The two have nothing in common. The lawsuit most likely has to do with the Genesis logo and games, not the hardware.
    all subsequent products from that point on were using radica reference deisngs along with code created by Digital Media Cartridge.

If you don't want to believe it, that's fine, it's no real skin off my back.

Thread Information