Quantcast

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 76

Thread: Full Review/rambling: Atgames Sega Genesis classic console 80 titles built-in

  1. #16
    Death Adder's minion 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    it doesn't have that far to go to appeal to both for optimum market success. Its a shame they won't put in a little more work to make their product better, it would go a long way!.
    I have had brief talks with folks at AtGames. Simply put, they seem to have no interest in putting more effort into the sound issues. I put up images of the board in hopes that some more folks can help in checking them out and more simple modifications can be made to these units on our own.

  2. #17
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,803
    Rep Power
    106

    Default

    No amount of modifications will fix the sound problems with these units. The problem is in the emulator that runs on these systems. And there's no way to change that.

  3. #18
    So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    3,699
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    I don't understand how anyone who's played a real Genesis can think the sound coming out of an atgames clone is anything other than putrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

    No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

  4. #19
    will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,716
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    What the hell is the point of advertising the built-in Capcom games when this thing has an SD card slot that lets you load whatever roms you want... including Capcom games.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

  5. #20
    Death Adder's minion 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    No amount of modifications will fix the sound problems with these units. The problem is in the emulator that runs on these systems. And there's no way to change that.
    As i already mentioned a few posts back, previous hardware revisions have been able to fix the FM distortion and somewhat muted PSG sounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    What the hell is the point of advertising the built-in Capcom games when this thing has an SD card slot that lets you load whatever roms you want... including Capcom games.
    Mega Man: The Wiley Wars does not work properly on their previous portable.

  6. #21
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,803
    Rep Power
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 404 View Post
    As i already mentioned a few posts back, previous hardware revisions have been able to fix the FM distortion and somewhat muted PSG sounds.
    The problem with the audio isn't FM Distortion or muted PSG sounds. It's that the thing is freaking out of tune and badly emulated. You can't fix that with a mod.

  7. #22
    Death Adder's minion 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The problem with the audio isn't FM Distortion or muted PSG sounds. It's that the thing is freaking out of tune and badly emulated. You can't fix that with a mod.
    *SIGH*

    Quote Originally Posted by 404 View Post
    Everyone is pretty much spot on when it comes to the sound.

    If they would only be bothered to fix the sound octave depth, even if that meant leaving the FM distortion and PSG sound issues

    Some earlier board revisions including the Radica made boards were able to be modified to clean up some of the FM Sound distortion and increase the volume of the PSG sounds. Unfortunately, the LM358 OpAmp is no longer being used on the current revisions of the board.

  8. #23
    Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    4,160
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    I thought about picking up the 80 games thing at a Rite Aid Black Friday sale for the hell of it because it was only $30 but I'd rather not support AtGames with any money and it really wasn't worth going out on Black Friday for.

  9. #24
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,803
    Rep Power
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 404 View Post
    *SIGH*
    The Radica board was made by a completely different company that actually used real hardware. The AtGames hardware doesn't use any real hardware at all. There's no point in doing any mods to this thing as you can't fix the problems.

    AtGames hardware isn't a revision of previous clones, it's a brand new piece of shit system that uses an ARM chip and a bad emulator.

  10. #25
    The hippies were right. Raging in the Streets AlecRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Potter Valley, California
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,615
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Why is it so hard for them to properly emulate hardware from 1988? Geeze!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    That console is a thing of beauty, not a slut...

    My feedback thread

  11. #26
    Death Adder's minion 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The Radica board was made by a completely different company that actually used real hardware. The AtGames hardware doesn't use any real hardware at all. There's no point in doing any mods to this thing as you can't fix the problems.

    AtGames hardware isn't a revision of previous clones, it's a brand new piece of shit system that uses an ARM chip and a bad emulator.

    You're joking right? You are actually going to tell someone that knows about these units that these are two completely different units totally unrelated to each other?

    They all use the FireCore emulation hardware, they all have the same crap sound, they are all sub-licensed from AtGames and manufactured by Hantat technologies.

    Look, I realize that these units are seen as blasphemous in the genesis community. Everyone hates the sound including myself. As i already mentioned before, i'm a tinkerer and I'm going to continue messing around with these crappy consoles until I'm tired of it and chuck it in the trash. With that said, your posts are not only flat out wrong, they show a pretty high level of ignorance about the actual hardware.

    Here's a pic of a radica unit. So far i don't see any signs of that "real hardware" you are talking about.
    Last edited by 404; 11-27-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: for teh lulz

  12. #27
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,803
    Rep Power
    106

    Default

    The Radica Hardware uses a Genesis on a Chip last I checked. That's pretty much the same thing as real hardware as far as we are concerned in this discussion. The Firecore systems don't use a GOAC or actual real chips. They use a 32-bit ARM CPU and run a bad emulator on it.

  13. #28
    Death Adder's minion 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The Radica Hardware uses a Genesis on a Chip last I checked. That's pretty much the same thing as real hardware as far as we are concerned in this discussion. The Firecore systems don't use a GOAC or actual real chips. They use a 32-bit ARM CPU and run a bad emulator on it.
    They are both practically the same hardware. To make a long story short, the two companies got into a legal dispute immediately after sega and atgames announced a partnership where atgames was now the exclusive sublicense holder to the sega library. Radica, who had a license through Jakks Pacific sued Atgames. Atgames counter sued and Radica withdrew portions of their lawsuit and lost the remaining portions of their suit. The two groups quickly settled and began a brief platform sharing partnership that lasted until Radica was purchased by Mattel in 2006.

    see more info on the suit below
    http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx...006&SizeDisp=7

    Radica were the ones responsible for the first incarnation of the hardware that subsequently changed over time.

  14. #29
    Hero of Algol TrekkiesUnite118's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,803
    Rep Power
    106

    Default

    The hardware has nothing in common. Radica's clones used a Genesis on a Chip. AtGames hardware uses an ARM CPU running an emulator. The two have nothing in common. The lawsuit most likely has to do with the Genesis logo and games, not the hardware.

  15. #30
    Death Adder's minion 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The hardware has nothing in common. Radica's clones used a Genesis on a Chip. AtGames hardware uses an ARM CPU running an emulator. The two have nothing in common. The lawsuit most likely has to do with the Genesis logo and games, not the hardware.
    all subsequent products from that point on were using radica reference deisngs along with code created by Digital Media Cartridge.

    If you don't want to believe it, that's fine, it's no real skin off my back.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •