Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: psOne vs Saturn

Outrunner

Default psOne vs Saturn

Well I started buying a couple of saturn games, and even though Saturn has the best controller in the universe, I find that there's quite a few non-exclusive games, and psone games that I prefer.

So the question is, should I collect psOne rather than saturn?

What do you prefer?

prepares for onslaught of sega fanboys
    Mel (aka Tritium)
    ----

This is a Sega forum so obviously there'll be some major Saturn bias but if you're price conscious I'd go with PSX collecting. Saturn games can get QUITE expensive whereas only a few PSX games go for a lot. If you're looking for a small batch of really great games and don't mind paying out the wazoo then go with Saturn collecting. But if you want a bunch of really great games aswell as a TON of good games for reasonable prices then collect for the PSX.

Wildside Expert

This is a great question that I've thought about recently. During the time of the PSX/Saturn I had a real bias against Sony, so I never got a Playstation and opted for the Saturn. I built up quite a nice collection of games including a bunch of imports. About four years ago, I got desperate for cash and sold off all of my Saturn stuff. I thought about getting another one, but most of the games I want cost much more than I want to spend.

So now that I'm a little older and not so down on Sony, I'm thinking about checking out the Playstation. I did some looking on ebay and found that both used systems and games are quite reasonable.

I still love the Saturn, and there's a bunch of great games that were released in the US that can be had for very little money. It's mostly the imports that are outrageous, although some of the very last US releases weren't produced in large quantities and they can be a bit more pricey.

You can get an original PSX with extras on ebay for $10-15 easy.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Vicman
    You can get an original PSX with extras on ebay for $10-15 easy.
    Yes, and my saturn went well over $40. I have both at this point, but I'm not sure which games I should get next...
    Mel (aka Tritium)
    ----

Personally what I would do is consider the strengths of each consoles 2D library. I would not pursue either system for their 3D games as I feel both machines have aged poorly and the 3d is proving to be quite bad. 3D just doesn't age well, just look at the early PSX games that everyone drooled over, like Warhawk, that game is a complete eyesore now, same with Twisted Metal.

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

At the time I'd definitely say that the PS was better -- most especially as far as games released here. But I've come to appreciate the Saturn more and play it far more consistently today than I do my PS. I think it's aged better by virtue of being a far more 2D-driven machine, yet so many of these games were left in Japan ignoring the Saturn's strength.

Playstation almost plays like a curiosity today overall, due to the fugliness of the 3D-dominated library. There are some gems left that have stood up to the test of time though -- such as Jumping Flash! which I still love the hell out of.

There are also some late-gen games I want for PS that dropped off my radar due to the DC. I do far more buying for Saturn now though, but I missed alot of its library at the time of release.

And like the SNES versus Genesis, if you're into RPGs the grey box beats out the black. I've just started playing Chrono Cross, and it seems pretty cool.

I don't think the PS deserves the bashing it sometimes takes today as far as library -- the games are ugly as it stands but were amazing in their period.

Quote Originally Posted by 16bitter
    There are some gems left that have stood up to the test of time though -- such as Jumping Flash! which I still love the hell out of.
    Oh man, as far as 3D platforming goes, Jumping Flash! 1 and 2 are incredible. I remember being so amazed by the carnival levels in the 3rd world of Jumping Flash!.. those rollercoaster tracks felt so insane from a first-person perspective. It's good to hear that at least somebody else out there loves the game. The nonexistance of a Jumping Flash! 3 is utter insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel
    The nonexistance of a Jumping Flash! 3 is utter insanity.
    Well, Psygnosis disbanded a while ago, so...

Anyway, they're both excellent consoles. I prefer the Saturn, but in my opinion you can't go wrong either way. The PSX even has it's share of excellent 2D exclusives (Panzer Bandit, Harmful Park, Gradius Gaiden).

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dementia
    Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel
    The nonexistance of a Jumping Flash! 3 is utter insanity.
    Well, Psygnosis disbanded a while ago, so...
    JF! was developed by an internal portion of SCE Japan, I believe. Psygnosis was a Europian company partially bought by SCE -- they had nothing to do with Jumping Flash that I'm aware of.

I was on the verge of posting more or less the same message as that above, but then realized how much more fun it would be to actually play Jumping Flash! rather than talk about it. And oh, let me tell you, it was fun indeed.

I kept myself current with coverage of Saturn game releases during the mid to late '90s, but having never owned one I've played very few Saturn titles. The PlayStation got much of my love and money during that period.. but I don't regret having chosen the PlayStation, since there were (and are) so many games that enthralled me on it. I plan to start amassing a Saturn army fairly soon.. there are so many games I've wanted to play for years now.. NiGHTS, Dark Savior, Virtual On, Guardian Heroes, Astal, Darius Gaiden, Shinobi Legions, the Panzer Dragoons.. etc. etc.

I say collect both, Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by 16bitter
    JF! was developed by an internal portion of SCE Japan, I believe. Psygnosis was a Europian company partially bought by SCE -- they had nothing to do with Jumping Flash that I'm aware of.
    haha, I had no idea

Here's a nice list for the PSX if you're interested Mel:

Ape Escape
    Arc the Lad 1,2,3
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    Chrono Cross
    Crash Bandicoot
    Crash Team Racing
    Dragon Warrior VII
    Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Grand Turismo 1&2
    Grandia
    Lunar & Lunar 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    Oddworld Abe's Oddysee & Exodus
    Parappa the Rapper
    Parasite Eve 1&2
    Persona 1&2
    R-Type Delta
    Resident Evil DC&2
    Silent Hill
    Silhouette Mirage
    Soul Edge
    Strider 2
    Suikoden 1&2
    Tactics Ogre
    Tenchu 1&2
    Xenogears

Really there's a bunch of 2-D & 2/3-D games on that list that some of you are forgetting about. It's heavy on the RPG's but that's what I loved about the PSX.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

There was a Jumping Flash 3.

Both Playstation and Saturn are good systems. Personally, I feel Saturn has the superior library, but Playstation certainly has its share of goodies. I see no reason to limit yourself to one or the other. Get both.

Ignore the nonsense about older 3D games "aging badly". I've got the current systems and I've got the 32-bit systems, and I probably have more fun with the older 3D games. Sometimes boundaries provide for creativity. I'll take the original Syphon Filter over The Omega Strain any day.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    There was a Jumping Flash 3.
    Robbit Mon Dieu, yeah.. new developer, dramatically different game structure, abadnoment of the franchise monicker, focus more on wacky cutscenes than gameplay, hideous visuals.. bahh, a Jumping Flash! 3 that is not! But good call, j_factor.

And to strengthen the current idea, yes, lots of good shit exists for the PlayStation, 3D or otherwise. Games are both cheap and common for the most part, so good lord, start collecting.

Thread Information