Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer repair guy stole my dad's 500GB hard drive and RAM

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Default Computer repair guy stole my dad's 500GB hard drive and RAM

So my dad took his computer—which has a failing motherboard—into local computer repair guys shop. So he comes back one day later and the guy says that the motherboard is pretty much dead. So, my father was planning on ripping the hard drive ram, DVD-R drive, and pretty much all the stuff of value out of the computer and recycling the mobo.

Anyway, the computer had two hard drives in it, an older, crappier 100GB hard drive, and a newer, much better 500GB hard drive. When he brought the computer home, the 500GB drive was gone, and the RAM (i think it was about 8GB of RAM—two 4GB cards) had been replaced with one 1GB card and one 512MB card.

Anyway, right after he (my father) got the computer back, the computer dude went on vacation. so we waited about 2 weeks and called the place and now the guy says he doesn't have the stuff.

So what do yall suggest we do?

Shake well before use Master of Shinobi Robotwo's Avatar

SUE UP THE BUTT!!!

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

At the very least, file a police report - That way you have something on record stating that the computer you received back did not contain the original equipment. Was the guy who allegedly took the stuff an employee or the owner of the shop? Having worked in a local computer shop myself, I can tell you first hand that the owner put customer satisfaction above all else - including working conditions and environment. So having said that, you might have dealt with a disgruntled employee who took out his frustrations on you and your dad's computer, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    At the very least, file a police report - That way you have something on record stating that the computer you received back did not contain the original equipment. Was the guy who allegedly took the stuff an employee or the owner of the shop? Having worked in a local computer shop myself, I can tell you first hand that the owner put customer satisfaction above all else - including working conditions and environment. So having said that, you might have dealt with a disgruntled employee who took out his frustrations on you and your dad's computer, unfortunately.
    It was the owner of the shop—a 60-something year old guy.

It would be very difficult to prove to authorities that he stole our stuff, because it was a computer my dad put together from parts from other computers and stuff he got for free. Due to the nature of the computer itself, we don't really have proof of purchase or receipts or anything for the parts.

Rock through a window sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean697 View Post
    Rock through a window sounds good.
    Haha, with a window-repair business's brochure attached to the rock?

Ow! I would likely go there in person and try to get my stuff back. But after 2 weeks it might be hard. You have to react quickly to this sort of things.

The moral of the story is, fix your own computer.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWar View Post
    Ow! I would likely go there in person and try to get my stuff back. But after 2 weeks it might be hard. You have to react quickly to this sort of things.
    We tried to but he went on vacation the same the day after we got the computer back, and we didn't notice till hews gone. And he was on vacation for 2 weeks, so we really reacted as fast as we could. Because we tried contacting him the day he was supposed to be back in town, and he didn't return the call until about 5 days after that. He claims to not know what happened to the RAM and hard drive, but i'm sure he's just playing dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    The moral of the story is, fix your own computer.
    Not really. If you have a friend or realitive who a computer geek/wiz then just have them look at it for you. I only go to a repair shop if they cant fix or diagnose it first. These repair shops do suck though. Havent ever been to one where I was fully satisfied with their service.

Let's Go Away Master of Shinobi kokujin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    It was the owner of the shop—a 60-something year old guy.

It would be very difficult to prove to authorities that he stole our stuff, because it was a computer my dad put together from parts from other computers and stuff he got for free. Due to the nature of the computer itself, we don't really have proof of purchase or receipts or anything for the parts.
    Did he run any diagnostic checks and saved the results?He may have a text file with the old specs on there.

Less talk more action!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    We tried to but he went on vacation the same the day after we got the computer back, and we didn't notice till hews gone. And he was on vacation for 2 weeks, so we really reacted as fast as we could. Because we tried contacting him the day he was supposed to be back in town, and he didn't return the call until about 5 days after that. He claims to not know what happened to the RAM and hard drive, but i'm sure he's just playing dumb.
    Is he a one man operation, or does he have other people doing the work?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

Simple solution: Small claims court. Ask for your court costs to be recouped as well. The judge should be happy to oblige.
    It is finished!

Thread Information