Quantcast

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's consolize and old dirty broken Game Gear found in the trash.

Not all GG's have the J1 or J2/J3 jumpers. Seems the J1 (Bios bypass) is a single ASIC thing, which makes sense since it had the "Produced by..." start up screen. I think that Charles fella had a lucky break having that console. Had a look at a single ASIC board I have and it looks like the one further down on that SMSpower link (ie no J3).

oh, hello there WCPO Agent Robivy64's Avatar

Holy shit! I had no idea about this GGTV! I just ordered one, and can't wait to upgrade my childhood Game Gear.

Lol they are fun, all up I have 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Solkia View Post
    Is there no way to get the image to fill the screen?
    It can be done using an upscaler or something like a Xrgb but ive never read about anyone having it built-in in the modded GG.
    Not even the epic Japanese modder, he uses an external upscaler. I guess if he added that as well as the region switch and the 2nd controller port, it would now be the Ultimate Game Gear +3

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    Not all GG's have the J1 or J2/J3 jumpers. Seems the J1 (Bios bypass) is a single ASIC thing, which makes sense since it had the "Produced by..." start up screen. I think that Charles fella had a lucky break having that console. Had a look at a single ASIC board I have and it looks like the one further down on that SMSpower link (ie no J3).
    Looks like my Game gear has the J1 but I can't find J2/J3 anywhere.

Had a quick go at the top half of the case today, I will have to suss out some nice/suitable switches before going further.

The square under the case is the GG circuit board size, case footprint is 140mm x 240mm, which gives 20mm front and back and 25mm side to side.

I am thinking things like controller port, power and AV ports are probably best put on a bit of circuit board and spaced to suit. I am also thinking leave the back of the case blank so people can do what they will with AV and power ports.

So I have to make up the cart flap and it's "caddy", button for the start erm button as well as do the bottom part of the case.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I'm really liking that Game Gear console case! Looks good all around. About the ports in the back, I think you really should add a multi-AV port and AC jack. Making people panel mount that stuff would look a bit odd. You don't need to put RCA and S-video jacks on it, but at least a 8 pin DIN port with the Sega pinout.

Question about the second controller port. Can it actually be used to play 2 player GG games on the same screen? What about games like Sonic Drift 2 which worked with two Game Gears? Can you "system link" two Game Gear systems to get the same effect?

I would totally buy one of your Game Gear console shells omp, I've been wanting one ever since that Japanese guy made one.

Yea I suppose 2 holes on the back would be ok. I am thinking about using a mini-din 9 same as md2 so the stereo sound can be used. With the power socket, just to use the one from the game gear, that whole power board would be on spacers to line up.

Not sure on the 2 player front though, I will have to allow for that ext port as well on the back. I have quite a few gg games but can't think of to many 2 players. To be honest I have never played 2 player games on the gg, just gives it that more finished look lol!

This whole case thing will have to see how we go with costs. I don't care about the CAD work, it is just tricky as I haven't done 3D for a few years and I am only using autocad 2010. If the 3d printing people come back with a stoopid price that may be a dampener as well.

If all goes well, I also need to make the bottom half of the case blank and use stand offs for the first go, I can then transfer the stand offs into cad for a more finished product. I will be working in this when I can as well, so maybe a few more months away.

That's mighty nice work you are doing here omp, hope it comes thru! I never played 2 players on GG either, my uneducated guess though is that possibly some games are designed for 2 screens and these would not really be usable on only one TV. I guess what we need at this point are some statistics.

-How many 2 players games are there on the GG, and what are they?
    -Which of those games are playable on one screen?

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Count me in for one as well! How would the cart slot be mounted though if the board is horizontal but with a vertical cart slot?

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

You should add a SMS cart slot, then put the GG slot where the card slot on an SMS would be. That would be sick!

black tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Solkia View Post
    Is there no way to get the image to fill the screen?
    Also I love the master system style case!

As it stands the cart slot would be de-soldered, rotated to face up and then spun around so the cart faces forward. Brackets and shit would be involved, which will have to be done when/if the case gets done to work out locations etc.

I like the idea of having both cart slots available, which is what I was going to do if I used the spare sms case (which is no longer spare as that console was repaired) I had. The problem (not really) with that is all the cables to the power board will have to be extended as the main board could be spun around so the gg cart slot is facing the right way. I will have a look into that idea.

Sounds like potentially the most bad@ss gamegear ever made. I love it, it's the anti portablization!

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    As it stands the cart slot would be de-soldered, rotated to face up and then spun around so the cart faces forward. Brackets and shit would be involved, which will have to be done when/if the case gets done to work out locations etc.

I like the idea of having both cart slots available, which is what I was going to do if I used the spare sms case (which is no longer spare as that console was repaired) I had. The problem (not really) with that is all the cables to the power board will have to be extended as the main board could be spun around so the gg cart slot is facing the right way. I will have a look into that idea.

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

I'd like having an SMS cart slot too, the Master Gear converter is totally passive so I think adding an SMS slot would just be a matter of wiring it up to the correct points. I'd also suggest leaving a bit of space inside the case for stuff like Viletim's SMS FM board or maybe even an SMS card slot.

Would the SMS games played through the GG end up downscaled?

Thread Information