Quantcast

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking & 68010: Annotated Compatibility List

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

If it does not do it in 50Hz then overclocking will help. Switch to 50Hz is effectively overclock to 9.3MHz for the software, much more cycles per frame to burn.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I keep forgetting to mention that Accolade's Winter Challenge plays noticeably faster at 10Mhz and 12Mhz, but eventually develops sound problems that seem self correcting. I haven't been able to play the game any better with or without the overclock unfortunately.
    Thanks for the contribution, list updated (yeah, I'm still alive!!!) with your info.

Quote Originally Posted by Troyus View Post
    One I did try was turtles: hyperstone heist. The music is messed up and overclock. Playing too fast I think. Very different.
    You allready have the wiley wars up there but it def needs that overclock. Its almost unplayable on bosses at stock IMO.
    We need to know which board revision is your Mega Drive model 1, otherwise, we won't be able to conclude anything about the game being really problematic with overclock or if it's just a "limitation" of your board revision.
    Thanks for posting anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Good thread, very useful info.

Duke Nukem 3D runs faster with overclocking. As far as I remember, there were no glitches either.
    Oh, yeah, thanks for the contribution. It's one of those that I had already tested several times but forgot to add to the list.
    Isn't there a little graphical glitch at the sides of the screen when you turn around fast at 12 MHz? Something like if it wasn't cleaning/updating that portion of the screen fast enough? It doesn't affect the gameplay though.
    At 10 MHz I'm pretty sure it looks perfect.
    Also, let me know which Mega Drive model and VA you're using, please.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I wonder if the little moments of slowdown in David Crane's Amazing Tennis would be alleviated with overclocking. It's subtle-ish, but I think I'm noticing some missed frames when the camera shifts, especially during lobs.
    Good call, added as request in the list.
    I really hope to kick myself to fill your requests very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    If it does not do it in 50Hz then overclocking will help. Switch to 50Hz is effectively overclock to 9.3MHz for the software, much more cycles per frame to burn.
    Good one, thanks.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Good call, added as request in the list.
    I really hope to kick myself to fill your requests very soon.
    Awesome! And yeah, after playing more of the game (and beating it), there's definitely some frame dropping (or the equivalent) happening during lobs especially. I wish I had video capture hardware so I could slow it down and identify just how much is being lost; it's definitely jarring, but can be lived with.

BTW we'd love to see you in the beat-'em-all thread when things get less crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Oh, yeah, thanks for the contribution. It's one of those that I had already tested several times but forgot to add to the list.
    Isn't there a little graphical glitch at the sides of the screen when you turn around fast at 12 MHz? Something like if it wasn't cleaning/updating that portion of the screen fast enough? It doesn't affect the gameplay though.
    At 10 MHz I'm pretty sure it looks perfect.
    Also, let me know which Mega Drive model and VA you're using, please.
    Can't help about the game running at 12 MHz, sorry. I only have a 10 MHz overclocking performed, and as you said, it doesn't have that graphic issue when running at that speed for sure.

I tested it in an overclocked Sega Nomad. I usually do it from there since my overclocked Mega Drive (first model) got the overclocking mod wrong and doesn't work well with any game.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Hero of Algol

List updated to add Hit The Ice and Troyus's info about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist.

Gumbious Priest Road Rasher Raja's Avatar

I can pretty much confirm on an original model 1 genesis with a 10mhz overclock that 'The Punisher' does in fact lock up (at random intervals - one time on level 4) and get some weird glitches. I noticed as I was playing for the 'Can Sega-16 beat every Genesis game' thread. When not overclocked it runs perfectly.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Update for the list.

Virtua Racing. I bet you know this.....................doesn't work at all. Tested at 10MHz.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

^ Speaking of which, at 10Mhz and 12Mhz my 32X started working as a Genesis pass through recently when formerly it would only give me a black screen I think. It turns out that a lot of Genesis games eventually crash with the 32X attached though when they are fine in just the Genesis. Most notably Sonic 2 split screen doesn't work with the 32X attached.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Oh I can't get the 32X to work quite right with a 10MHz OC. For example, in overclock mode, I notice that a lot of time in some games, it just moves on it's own like a ghost is smacking the controller around.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Yeah, I expected to not be able to use the 32X at all with the overclock but was surprised when I could play a couple of games no problem for a short while anyway. Apparently it locks up eventually.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Hero of Algol

Nice! Another one to test out, BTW: Pete Sampras Tennis. I'm not sure whether it wasn't optimized properly for NTSC by the British developers, but it's frequently got surprisingly bad framerate issues/skipped frames. (I don't know whether it behaves better at 50Hz.)

This list looks good!

In the near future, when my dual 10/12mhz over-clock is done I'll contribute my findings here.

Another one that can be tested very quickly: Traysia. Normally there's a "hitch" as you walk around, where the game drops a few frames every few tiles, and I'm curious as to whether it's caused by the CPU missing an update or is actually hardcoded somehow.

Nooooooooooooob Sports Talker

One thing you might want to add:
    As you know you can still play carts on your megadrive once the mega cd is attached. Just plug a cart in and the megadrive will default to that. Using a mega cd you can NOT have the megadrive OC at all.
    Having my mega cd md1 attached and pluged into the power messes with my overclock compatability. Most games freeze or fail to load with my overclock on while I have my mega CD plugged into the power. (I tried all switches/flashing combos). Removing the MEGA CD power, essentually removing the unit, restored full overclock compatability for me.

Dont try and use a overclock with a sega cd mk 1 attached! I tried a heap of games for this thred and none worked so I got suspicious!
    Just a FYI for the thread.
    Last edited by Troyus; 02-19-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Thread Information