Quantcast

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking & 68010: Annotated Compatibility List

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I just tested Adventures of Batman & Robin on my VA5/6 and it runs fine on all clocks, I didn't notice differences in gameplay though.
    Oh, cool, big thanks... I'll update the list in order to add all the info.

Okay, I'm uploading a video of Road Rash II at all three clocks now. I just counted frames on the MPEG video before it gets converted to FLASH.
    Hehehe, good 'ol EA.

At 7.67 Mhz during the attract mode gameplay segment the framerate is 6-10FPS. At 12Mhz I get a more consistent 10FPS with spikes to 12-13FPS when other bikes are on the screen.
    6? Geeeez.

I've considered that a variable framerate in the past, meaning that the game is skipping/dropping frames in certain situations to maintain the same physical speed. Similarly, Zero Tolerance is 7-12FPS at stock clock, 10-16FPS at 10Mhz and 15-20FPS at 12Mhz.
    That is if the scaling isn't software rendered as it has been contested is happening in Road Rash, but not in Sega's "scaler" games.
    First part in bold is right, second part in bold is wrong/smells like a miss conceive IMO.
    Variable frame rate is NOT an evidence that the game is skipping/dropping frames.
    The game using, for an example, an animation cycle with 8 unique frames to animate the bikes when you have 12 FPS and then using an animation cycle with only 4 unique frames to animate the very same bikes IS an evidence of frame dropping (and I've never seem such a thing in a Genesis game).
    Do you understand the difference between those two statements?

I've seen Road Rash bikes running "physically" (in terms of meters in the game/seconds passed in the real world) slower in lower frame rate moments, which means that there ISN'T a frame dropping mechanism implemented.

But, as always, it's perfectly possible that I'll realize that I was completely crazy in all these years just after watching your video, and then I'll gladly apologize to you.

EDIT: Just watched it. Like I said, no frame skipping/dropping. Only lower frame rate at times and, of course, higher overall frame rate with overclock.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Okay, I think I understand the difference between a variable framerate and frame dropping to maintain speed. I guess these games are simply rendering as many frames as the engine will allow in a second, whereas a frame dropping mechanic would require its own process?

I was thinking specifically of how Deth Karz on PC would allow you to set the framerate to either 15, 30 or 60 FPS and then you could tell it whether to slow down physically if the system couldn't maintain framerate of have a variable framerate, which I have considered interchangeable with dropping frames in the past.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Bleh, It's going to be a while before I can get a new oscillator. If anyone else wants to test Vectorman, go ahead.

I wish Emulators could be overclocked or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Oh. I'm kind of new to the Genesis so I didn't know. It took a lot of time tearing that MUSHA label off. It came off in many pieces so I just stuck them on the insert and manual (which I also trashed) while I was doing it. I did keep the plastic case, though!

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    This is a result!

So on a VA5 and VA6 it works fine, but on a VA3 it starts glitching.
    Yep. Thanks to you and sheath.
    This stuff is working!!!

I hope I have included the right specs of your Genesis in the list... Game color changed to grey.

Okay, I think I understand the difference between a variable framerate and frame dropping to maintain speed. I guess these games are simply rendering as many frames as the engine will allow in a second, whereas a frame dropping mechanic would require its own process?
    Yep. The animation cycles may be taking less or more time to be completed in Road Rash but are always the same sprites/frames being used, it's just that some times the CPU has to handle less things and then it animates a bit faster (and vice-versa) but never with less or more frames per animation cycle (it discards any time constraint); the total number of unique animation frames being showed during a race is always the same.

I was thinking specifically of how Deth Karz on PC would allow you to set the framerate to either 15, 30 or 60 FPS and then you could tell it whether to slow down physically if the system couldn't maintain framerate of have a variable framerate, which I have considered interchangeable with dropping frames in the past.
    E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!

Quote Originally Posted by Solkia View Post
    Bleh, It's going to be a while before I can get a new oscillator. If anyone else wants to test Vectorman, go ahead.

I wish Emulators could be overclocked or something.
    OK, I see what I can do.
    About the emulators, Regen (the Debugger version) let's you simulate overclocking by increasing the number of lines executed per CPU cycle, but most of the games will have sound issues while in real hardware they wouldn't.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

I gave vector man a shot. 10mhz gave me some graphical glitches.

I think the va3 is just more sensitive.

Another game. Sparkster. I can't even get it to start. If I start it in stock speed, halt and switch to 10MHz, the game just crashes.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Thanks. I put it in red, see if you like the tone, hehe. "Eventually" means now to me since such tasks may become a nightmare if you let it to be done after having like 200 games listed.
    The red was good, but I think the grey is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Oh, thanks for mentioning it. I had already tested it previously. It's like for Alien Soldier. Treasure games usually "like" overclock... Thankfully, their customized sound driver seems to have no problem with overclocking.
    Game added.
    Excellent! I'm trying to think of other test cases I've encountered that are worth trying, other than games like Hard Drivin' that we've already discussed. I suppose Cyber-Cop/Corporation, but I can't speak of it with expertise. There's some slowdown in Onslaught if you really saturate the screen with enemies and weapons, but it's very brief and not worth checking into. (Actually, that game's ability to push lots of objects without slowdown is one of its only redeeming features.)

Also, down the road it might be worth a note for games like Awesome Possum and Curse that have a low framerate, but don't benefit (assuming it's confirmed that their frame rate issues are hardcoded; I think Lastcallhall checked on Awesome Possum for me, and Curse only has slow scrolling in the BG IIRC).

Now I really need to get my VA2 modded! That is, if the VA2 tolerates 12MHz...?

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 - No glitches at all in 10MHz.. Not that the game needed it, lol.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

This is how Sonic spinball plays when overclocked btw. It became quite playable..

Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Sports Talker

I'm impressed I always thought Sonic Spinball was meant to be slow. Evildragon you've inspired to overclock my VA7. I was originally going to do it but decided against it as I didn't want to lift the leg since the trace on a VA7 runs under the CPU. But I think I will try to some continuity testing to find the trace on the bottom and make my cuts there. I have a 12mhz oscillator I can test my games with and about 25-30 or so games I can test. BTW your description of how Sonic is supposed to move is hilarious.

Barone, I think you should add to the notes weather people are using a flash cart or original carts to test the games. Might be why Batman and Robin doesn't work so well for Evildragon.

I never actually knew Spinball's slowness was slowdown either. I figured it was just programmed that way.

Huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Oh. I'm kind of new to the Genesis so I didn't know. It took a lot of time tearing that MUSHA label off. It came off in many pieces so I just stuck them on the insert and manual (which I also trashed) while I was doing it. I did keep the plastic case, though!

Sonic spinball will likely gain better with 12mhz. While its more playable at 10mhz it's still not as smooth as it should be. If you look at the score ticker when it scrolls you can see just how choppy it is.

I'm not surprised. All of stunt race fx is one big constant slowdown.

People whine about this being more challenging:

It is more challenging, but it's perfectly playable is much more fun like this.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Interesting, my Genesis overclock cost a total of $28. How much does it cost to overclock Starfox? Actually, what does Starfox have to do with this thread?

On Sonic Spinball, I actually read an interview from the developer (is it on S16?) where he explained that he used his old original Pitfall scrolling engine to make the game even though the Genesis has hardware for scrolling. So yeah, the game ought to increase in performance with a faster processor.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon
    spamspamspamspamspamspamspamspamspamspamspamspamsp amspamspamspamegomaniaspamspamspamspamspamspamspam spamspamspamspam
    Interesting, my Genesis overclock cost a total of $28. How much does it cost to overclock Starfox? Actually, what does Starfox have to do with this thread?
    Clearly you are unfamiliar with the concept of spam.

Thread Information