Quantcast

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking & 68010: Annotated Compatibility List

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

My Genesis overclock cost me $3. Got my oscillator from Skycraft: http://www.skycraftsurplus.com
    (I bought it in their physical store, don't think they sell these online).
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Here's what I bought for mine, not counting the $20 VA 5/6 Genesis 1.

Parts:
    2 Switches: $3.02
    PCB: $4.04
    0.2mm Wires (10 meters): $11.13
    Encap DIP $6.00
    10Mhz&12Mhz Oscillators: $13.88
    ------------------------------
    $38.07

Those wires are going to last me for a very long time, so I didn't really count them. Also, I have three switches not just two. But yeah, I've got to overclock speeds to play ith in case of any glitches. I haven't found any glitches yet that weren't to do with the ROM in the cart.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...illator/1.html

this is the one I plan on using. I have no idea what the voltage for it is. I hope it works.

I've been trying to find a 12MHz one but I can't find any
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Oh. I'm kind of new to the Genesis so I didn't know. It took a lot of time tearing that MUSHA label off. It came off in many pieces so I just stuck them on the insert and manual (which I also trashed) while I was doing it. I did keep the plastic case, though!

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Oh good point I forgot about the price of the switches and the DIP. My bad. I'd need to total it up but when I think about it, I think I spent about as much as you did.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I gave vector man a shot. 10mhz gave me some graphical glitches.

I think the va3 is just more sensitive.
    Yep.

Another game. Sparkster. I can't even get it to start. If I start it in stock speed, halt and switch to 10MHz, the game just crashes.
    Thanks. I'll update the list soon and will add your info, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The red was good, but I think the grey is even better.
    I think I still like red for 100% bad cases.

Excellent! I'm trying to think of other test cases I've encountered that are worth trying, other than games like Hard Drivin' that we've already discussed. I suppose Cyber-Cop/Corporation, but I can't speak of it with expertise. There's some slowdown in Onslaught if you really saturate the screen with enemies and weapons, but it's very brief and not worth checking into. (Actually, that game's ability to push lots of objects without slowdown is one of its only redeeming features.)
    Well, I will add Hard and Race Drivin' soon...
    Cyber-Cop/Corporation is a POS. I tested it a while ago with the overclock and, well, IMO the game is still a completely unplayable mess. But, yes, we need to add this one too.
    Onslaught? I think I tested it already, but I need to check my notes. Will be added to.
    Thanks.

Also, down the road it might be worth a note for games like Awesome Possum and Curse that have a low framerate, but don't benefit (assuming it's confirmed that their frame rate issues are hardcoded; I think Lastcallhall checked on Awesome Possum for me, and Curse only has slow scrolling in the BG IIRC).
    Awesome Possum is a lost case IMO, I'm not really willing to list it anywhere in my life, ahaha, but if you really want I can do it.
    Curse is a "good" one to be tested and listed. Most of the slowness disappeared IIRC. Will re-check this one.

Now I really need to get my VA2 modded! That is, if the VA2 tolerates 12MHz...?
    I wouldn't mess up with a VA2 if I were you. I *strongly* recommend you getting a VA5/VA6 Genesis first. It's a common revision (probably the most common), so you wouldn't have many problems finding it for a low price. I can help you identifying it, just send me a PM with pictures/links.
    I'd bet the VA2 would tolerate only 10 MHz and, usually, the older the revision the more sensitive to overclock they are. After all, why risk your beloved long time working Genesis if you can buy an extra one for cheap and try to mod it with no fear or regret?

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 - No glitches at all in 10MHz.. Not that the game needed it, lol.
    Thanks.

This is how Sonic spinball plays when overclocked btw. It became quite playable...
    Nice video and very nice TV screen capture quality. Keep doing your videos that way. My personal history with Spinball is the same as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by infinateeff View Post
    Barone, I think you should add to the notes weather people are using a flash cart or original carts to test the games. Might be why Batman and Robin doesn't work so well for Evildragon.
    Well, I'm adding notes when people have issues with original carts 'cause the Everdrive MD is actually better to use with overclocking than the original carts, so the Everdrive MD is my reference parameter.

Sonic spinball will likely gain better with 12mhz. While its more playable at 10mhz it's still not as smooth as it should be. If you look at the score ticker when it scrolls you can see just how choppy it is.
    Yep. In 12 MHz it runs even better but you still notice a slightly choppiness if you hit the ball (Sonic) and make it go very fast in screens crowded with enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    How much does it cost to overclock Starfox?
    Not cheap:
    "I can build an overclocked superfx cart of starfox 1 or starfox 2. Starfox 1 runs at 45 mhz and starfox 2 runs at 32 mhz. For me to build an overclocked superfx cart I need you to donate me a doom or winter gold superfx cartridge. Building the cart costs 150$ parts and labour. This price doesn't include a label I can install a custom label for 15$ extra.
    Also I can overclock a regular doom snes cartridge for 40$ but again you need to provide me with the doom cart and pay for shipping both ways."
    http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/t44-...ce-price-guide

Feels like we are living in different galaxies in terms of cost effectiveness.

Actually, what does Starfox have to do with this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    Clearly you are unfamiliar with the concept of spam.
    Maybe the thread title is not clear enough...

On Sonic Spinball, I actually read an interview from the developer (is it on S16?) where he explained that he used his old original Pitfall scrolling engine to make the game even though the Genesis has hardware for scrolling. So yeah, the game ought to increase in performance with a faster processor.
    Things that only SOA's and EA's non-existent quality controls would allow.

Interesting, my Genesis overclock cost a total of $28. How much does it cost to overclock Starfox? Actually, what does Starfox have to do with this thread?

On Sonic Spinball, I actually read an interview from the developer (is it on S16?) where he explained that he used his old original Pitfall scrolling engine to make the game even though the Genesis has hardware for scrolling. So yeah, the game ought to increase in performance with a faster processor.
    I was pointing how some people complain about the overclocked game being sped up thusly increasing the difficulty because you have less reaction time. Evildragon was saying in his video how happy he is with the increased game speed. Haters gotta hate I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    Clearly you are unfamiliar with the concept of spam.
    Like I said haters gotta hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Not cheap:
    "I can build an overclocked superfx cart of starfox 1 or starfox 2. Starfox 1 runs at 45 mhz and starfox 2 runs at 32 mhz. For me to build an overclocked superfx cart I need you to donate me a doom or winter gold superfx cartridge. Building the cart costs 150$ parts and labour. This price doesn't include a label I can install a custom label for 15$ extra.
    Also I can overclock a regular doom snes cartridge for 40$ but again you need to provide me with the doom cart and pay for shipping both ways."
    http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/t44-...ce-price-guide

Feels like we are living in different galaxies in terms of cost effectiveness.
    If you ever took the time to make one yourself then maybe you would understand why this costs what it does. So many people who have zero experience with this sort of work and no clue of what's involved seem to think that they know what a reasonable price is. Any less money and it wouldn't be worth my time, but I released the instructions for free so don't let me stop you.
    Last edited by Drakon; 01-01-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Hero of Algol

Drakon, guess what? This thread is not about your SNES shit. And I'm not interested in your pricey Super FX mods.
    Now, quit spamming and get the fuck out of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    I was pointing how some people complain about the overclocked game being sped up thusly increasing the difficulty because you have less reaction time. Evildragon was saying in his video how happy he is with the increased game speed. Haters gotta hate I suppose.
    You brought up Stunt Race FX also and I didn't see any other comments about it either. Thanks for calling me a hater for asking you a couple of questions though, that's always mature.

Like I said haters gotta hate.
    Uh, no, you obviously are spamming.

If you ever took the time to make one yourself then maybe you would understand why this costs what it does. So many people who have zero experience with this sort of work and no clue of what's involved seem to think that they know what a reasonable price is. Any less money and it wouldn't be worth my time, but I released the instructions for free so don't let me stop you.
    The point isn't that the cost is too high or that you are overcharging. The point is that your comparison is completely irrelevant due to the cost comparison and the nature of this thread.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

While beating Circus Mystery I noticed some slowdowns on the the Haunted House (Stage 3) on the section where it starts to collapse.
    Last edited by ReBirFh; 01-02-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Anyway to prevent anything from turning into a pointless argument. Sorry for posting off-topic overclocked starfox stuff. I just find it interesting that some people praise faster gameplay but others complain about it.

You brought up Stunt Race FX also and I didn't see any other comments about it either. Thanks for calling me a hater for asking you a couple of questions though, that's always mature.
    I wasn't calling you a hater I meant people who complain about sped up gameplay caused by an overclock. I figure some people just gotta find something to complain about no matter what. I wasn't talking about you sorry it seemed that way.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Gods (US) has slowdown when enough enemies that can fire are on screen. I didn't notice any till late lv 3 but you could probably find more if you let enemies live dangerously long.

I need to have a good match of Herzog Zwei to see if it will still slowdown with the overclock. It takes a long session of fortifying to get it to that point though.

So I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I figure this thread would be best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDS-DOC431-C...item4aaf75a53c

This is the 12MHz oscillator I bought, the writing on in looks kind of slapped on, which doesn't give me a good impression. But the seller has near perfect ratings, and people have bought this product before.

What do you guys think?
    Oh. I'm kind of new to the Genesis so I didn't know. It took a lot of time tearing that MUSHA label off. It came off in many pieces so I just stuck them on the insert and manual (which I also trashed) while I was doing it. I did keep the plastic case, though!

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Solkia View Post
    So I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I figure this thread would be best.
    Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Solkia View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDS-DOC431-C...item4aaf75a53c

This is the 12MHz oscillator I bought, the writing on in looks kind of slapped on, which doesn't give me a good impression. But the seller has near perfect ratings, and people have bought this product before.

What do you guys think?
    It looks OK IMO. KDS is a common brand, I think I have seen a lot worse.
    Me and sheath bought this one (hahaha):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Osci...item19c17cd32c

The "quality" of the oscillator is usually measured by its precision. You usually will find such info in a datasheet (a few ebay sellers provide the specs in their listings).
    But, really, according to what I've read these last years, it's like a trial and error approach more than anything. The good oscillator is the one which does the job you need it to do, that's how I see it.
    Feel free to sent me a PM if you find any difficult with the modding job.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-03-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Alright, thanks.

Thread Information