Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage

Default Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage

A lot has been done to ol' Spidey these last few years. He's been cloned, had two hit movies, and had a great run on recent consoles. He was pretty big on the Genesis too, with a string of releases that varied in quality. Among them was Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage, a beat-'em-up that was based on a major storyline of the time. How did it fare compared to its source material? Well, you'll have to read our full review to find out!
    Last edited by Melf; 09-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.

I was really excited to see this review. My grandparents bought me the SNES version of the game (glorious red cartridge and all) for Christmas.

I completely agree with everything said. Great review.

First Person Shooter Wildside Expert metalliqaz's Avatar

Sweet! It made the site

Melf: found this error afterI had submitted it...

"perform the wrong combos as crucial moments"
    should read
    "perform the wrong combos at crucial moments"

-d

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

How odd, I'm wearing my Venom shirt right now.

A solid but unremarkable brawler. When I was a kid I was obsessed with both Spider-Man and Batman, so you can only imagine my excitement for both this and The Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Problem is, I can only still play Batman. This is still fun, but there's better beat-em-ups out there. The presentation is top-notch (except the aforementioned lack of sound effects), and seeing the actual comic panels recreated in the game is nice, but the game is really nothing spectacular, and honestly I never much cared for the Maximum Carnage storyline to begin with.

And how come we don't see stuff like this anymore? I mean, Ultimate Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction were decent, but they were 'new' storylines for their respective comics. I'd love to see a video game for a big recent comic event like Civil War or 52.

good review, i didn't know the music in the game was actually from a real group. That's a pretty neat thing considering when the game was released.

This gets a 5 at most from me. Incredibly repetive gameplay even for a brawler, New York feels like a barren ghost town, and there's not even any 2 player mode. The music was the only redeeming quality, but even there they seriously mistreated the Mega Drive version.

The comic was kind of ass as well. Reading through it again, I can't believe I ever enjoyed this. Even a game based on the clone saga would have been better, if only to play as Ben Reilly.

this game is great i don't know why you guys gave it a 7 i give it a 10

I love Shadow Dancer!"

Nice of you to provide some solid arguments to back that statement.

A 10? Pfft.

for me the game was good it just get too hard after a few levles and theres 26 of them in the game the only way i got to beat it was with the game genie i do like the ending you think Carnage is dead and you get a fake ending but he comes back for one more fight

i rememer in EGM they talked about all the Spider-Man games (this was wane Spider-Man 2 the movie came out) they talk about Maximum Carnage being released as a red cart for a limited time but sines the game sold so poorly that they never released any gary carts (snes) or black carts (genesis) here the thing i had Maximum Carnage for super nes and it was the gray cart ver and i all so pick it up the week it came out ah you got to love EGM
    Last edited by redrum666; 01-11-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I will say that it is kind of uncommon, and back in the day a lot of my friends really wanted to play it, and it was popular. I never played it, nor had any intrest in it.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

i played the snes version blech ugly game except the music was cool only a little bit strange use of rock sound, I found it horribly slow when i played it i tough move damn spider.ive played the genesis version I think the music is a bit tighter and a bit faster but still same dull game.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

How comes I have to gisagree on every Spidey-related rating on this website?
    The game was pretty awfull. It played bad and while the sprites were quite big, everything lacked detail. And that you have to beat up the same enemies all the time doesn´t make it any more exviting. In German magazines it got ratings of 40- 60 of 100 points, and that was exactly what it deserved.
    But hey, since the Maximum Carnage-storyline in the comics sucked so much too, it just fits the game well.
    Seperation Anxiety is just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars
    Seperation Anxiety is just as bad.
    no that game was just crap Maximum Carnage is 10 times better

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

^^ YEEEEAH, GARFIELD SIGNATURES!

Anyhow, I think they were about even, although I'd rather play Seperation Anxiety for the storyarc it's based upon.

Thread Information