Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage

Quote Originally Posted by Flash1087
    Anyhow, I think they were about even, although I'd rather play Seperation Anxiety for the storyarc it's based upon.
    the one thing i did not like about Seperation Anxiety was that it had no ending all you got was a pic of Carnage as your ending

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

Yeah, I'll grant you that. Did Maximum Carnage end like the comic? I never finished it, or at least if I did I can't remember it.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

All the sprites in the damn game look kind of flat, like the programmers didnīt have the time to do some decent shading.

Um... wasn't Maximum Carnage a graphically rehashed version of Separation Anxiety? (Or is it the other way around?)

The control schemes and gameplay were exactly the same. The playable characters (Spidy & Venom, in both games) had the exact same functions (attack, jump, swing, throw, etc.) performed in the exact same way.

Come to think of it, the first levels in both games had the same layout, and some of the enemy designs were practically the same (girl with ponytail, guy in shorts & t-shirt, palette swapped girl with ponytail, palette swapped guy in shorts & t-shirt, etc.) ... with the aforementioned graphical rehash. (And I believe the flying robot things in MC were directly swiped from SA, without any graphical modifications at all.)

In an unrelated note, did the SNES version of Maximum Carnage feature larger sprites than the Genesis version?
    You have the ring... and I see your schwartz is as big as mine...

I'm pretty sure Maximum Carnage would be the re-hash of Seperation Anxiety, because if I recall correctly the Seperation Anxiety story arc came first in the comics.

Iīm not sure which storyline came first, only that the game Maximum Carnage came first. But it matters not cause both games suck. This is the thing they adapted extremely well for the MC-game: The endless Maximum Carnage story in the comic books sucked as well. It was a big fuss about a story that could have been told in 2 or 3 issues.

Back then, the comicbook companies were going through a "crossover" phase. Practically any and EVERY story arc was either a part of a crossover, or a collector's edition special issue, or a multi-cover-whatnot...

Separation Anxiety story arc, I believe, was a 6 issue affair. And while Maximum Carnage took 12 books (or was it more like 14?), neither series were nearly as bad as the year-long-collect-every-@#$&*-title-that-starts-with-the-letter-X-and-some-that-doesn't crossovers...
    Last edited by Mendicant; 01-17-2007 at 04:50 AM.

12 issues, and none of them were really that great. And yes, the constant X-Men crossover books were crap, except for the early 90's X-Men/Avengers crossover.

12 issues, and none of them were really that great. And yes, the constant X-Men crossover books were crap, except for the early 90's X-Men/Avengers crossover.
    Those were dark times for Marvel-fans. But how is Spidey doing now? Have the stories become better again?
    I had to stop collecting when Marvel took over distribution themselves and decided to let stories run through 3 or 4 different Spider-Man publications a month while it had always been one 50 page book monthly and quarterly specials before. I just couldn´t afford it anymore. Funny is, since then (9 years ago) Marvel Germany´s comic book price tags have gotten twice as big while they only have very few consumers left. Basically, Marvel Germany destroyed the entire marked of superhero comics here. 'They entered when it was booming and it only took them like three or so years to annoy everyone and destroy it.

Consider yourself lucky. I had to live through a decade of it. The X-Crossovers put an end to my collecting habits for a while. I came to the realization that I was better off spending my hard earned cash on videogames.

Atleast you missed out on the state-side "Special" fad. Some highly publicized sales of otherwise rare comics led some fans & companies alike to speculate that whatever gimmick they put out will automatically be worth millions in the future.

Suddenly there was a flood of multiple cover issues, foil covered issues, special edition issues, regular edition issues, issues in plastic bags, issues where the bar-code was printed differently... Complicating matters were squatters who bought the aforementioned books in bulk and sold them to collectors at a higher price. Collectors bought the books thinking that they could sell these books in the future at an even higher price.

Unfortunately, when the collectors tried re-selling some of the books they paid high prices for, they'd often realize that they wouldn't even get cover-price because either practically everyone owned a multiple copies of the book (and plans/hopes of reselling them), or the title/series/storyline had faded into mediocrity.

Personally, I ended up reallocating most of my funds into anime & videogames. (And ended up with multiple copies of Street Fighter II...)

First Person Shooter Wildside Expert metalliqaz's Avatar

Looking back at those times, the Maximum Carnage books really didnt have the billiance that people should expect from Spider-Man, but, I was 14, and all I cared about was huge battles, so I enjoyed it.

-d

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars
    Those were dark times for Marvel-fans. But how is Spidey doing now? Have the stories become better again?
    I had to stop collecting when Marvel took over distribution themselves and decided to let stories run through 3 or 4 different Spider-Man publications a month while it had always been one 50 page book monthly and quarterly specials before. I just couldnīt afford it anymore. Funny is, since then (9 years ago) Marvel Germanyīs comic book price tags have gotten twice as big while they only have very few consumers left. Basically, Marvel Germany destroyed the entire marked of superhero comics here. 'They entered when it was booming and it only took them like three or so years to annoy everyone and destroy it.
    Right now, Spider-Man and everyone else in the 616 Marvel universe, IMHO, is doing crappy. I HATE HATE HATE the Civil War storyline, it actually made me abandon all my old Marvel books except for Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm completely pro-DC, and having a wonderful time with it.

After Civil War is over, I might be able to go back, but in the meantime...no thanks, Marvel.

Oh yeah, we had that limited edition-crap over here too...
    Like with the DC vs Marvel-crossovers, it was a good idea to do it sometimes, but it reached ridiculous numbers soon.

Is DC still independent (besides Warner that is)?
    I had to see that German DC comics are now published by Marvel Germany too and there were some bizarre specials such as "What if Stan Lee created Batman?".
    I always liked DC, their stories being a bit more naive, but with good series such as Grant Morrisonīs JLA, Batman and Lobo.
    Iīm still pretty proud that an artwork of mine has been printed in German Lobo No.1.

Haven't played the Genesis version yet, but I have the SNES version which is good, but still pales in comparison to Streets of Rage.

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash1087 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Maximum Carnage would be the re-hash of Seperation Anxiety, because if I recall correctly the Seperation Anxiety story arc came first in the comics.
    You do not remember correctly. Maximum Carnage was in 1993. Separation Anxiety was late 1994 through early 1995.

Thread Information