Quantcast

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sega Service manuals 16bit

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Thanks again for the upload. That schematic on page 6 is great! So nice to have the a full schematic of the audio for use with the CCAM. Im sure opamp upgrades would help here too.

What I'm really hoping to find is a pinout of the 315-5619 used in the Sega CDX. According to this page it is used no where else in Sega systems:

http://wiki.megadrive.org/index.php?...Category:Chips

I'm trying to mix the Mega CD/Sega CD audio into the CCAM but the Sega CD doesnt have a LC7883 for CDDA audio like the Sega CD 1/2. I'm wondering if it is integrated within this chip since pins 46,44 and 40, 39 are mixed into the audio line. It is a Z80 chip as well, so I am also a little doubtful that can/would cram that all together. Could just be opamps but either way, that's the last great mystery with these schematics now.

If I was younger I would be doing cart wheels, I finished the Mega CD2 Service manuals this morning. So that is all the manuals I have, done. They should be uploaded tonight (my tonight lol!).

Unfortunately no details on the JVC cd drive version, it only covers the Sony (main manual) and the Samsung (Supplement) cd drives. I am not sure if the JVC drive type made it to PAL (what these manuals are) land as it seems like a late revision, I guess it was the same as REV 2 and onwards Genesis 2's (as PAL people didn't get past REV1.8 I believe).
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Co-Creator of the MegaAmp Raging in the Streets villahed94's Avatar

Thanks for the A3 MCD1 schematics! They will be really helpful in repairing them.

Mega Amp: The reference audio circuit for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    If I was younger I would be doing cart wheels, I finished the Mega CD2 Service manuals this morning. So that is all the manuals I have, done. They should be uploaded tonight (my tonight lol!).

Unfortunately no details on the JVC cd drive version, it only covers the Sony (main manual) and the Samsung (Supplement) cd drives. I am not sure if the JVC drive type made it to PAL (what these manuals are) land as it seems like a late revision, I guess it was the same as REV 2 and onwards Genesis 2's (as PAL people didn't get past REV1.8 I believe).
    The Mega CD2 drives were literally integrated to the main board, as far as I remember, but I'm sure these docs tell them in better detail.

I'm going over the serials I have, but I indeed see no Sony unit for PAL models. One more thing to make a database of... Soon...

Yes there are subtle differences in components between the 2 types of drives, a handful of resistors have different values and a few capacitors as well.

The JVC drive'd Sega CD2 is much like the Model 1 it has all the "smarts" on the CD sled rather than being on the board and the laser being on it's own (apart from the motors of course).

Mega CD 2 Service Manual, Mega CD 2 Supplement and (what I call as it has no title) Mega CD2 Additional Information added.

These are quite nice manual's, lots of good useful information.

This finishes up all the manual's I have.

There is a forum member on Assembler forums and he is slowly translating the Japanese parts (again any volunteer's to help will be appreciated).

I have asked the question and been given the go ahead to share the translation as done so far. This is the first page of what I believe to be the "Hard Check" Pages 41-43 of the manual.

Comments are welcome, but it looks pretty good to me!

================================================== ======================

----------------------------------Page #41----------------------------------

Checker Specifications Ver.2 Model: MEGA-CD CHECKER /PART No. 610-0276

SEGA
    Checker Specifications

Model
    MEGA-CD Checker

Part No.
    610-0276

Published: CS Product Engineering Dept.
    Person in Charge - Ogawa
    Section Head - Otsuji
    Manager - Takayasu
    Department Head - Matsumiya

Igarashi
    992 - 4/30

Ver.0.95/ Created: 92/04/27 -1- SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD.

----------------------------------Page #42----------------------------------

1) Contents
    1) Contents 2
    2) Overview 3
    3) Setup 3
    4) Check Flow 3
    5) Operating Procedure 6
    6) Error Messages 12
    7) Other 14
    8) Safety Procautions 17
    9) Appendix 18
    10) Revisions 23

Ver.0.95/ Created: 92/04/27 -2- SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD.

----------------------------------Page #43----------------------------------

2) Overview
    During the mass production of this product, "MEGA-CD", this Checker's function is to take electrical measurements (voltage-to-current, and frequency) of the IC board's power, and to diagnose issues which have resulted in the failure to operate normally.

3) Setup
    This product (the "MEGA-CD JIG Checker, hereafter referred to as "CD Checker"), generally speaking, consists of a Mega Drive (retail unit), CD Checker board, CD Checker JIG, CD Checker Test Box, TV Monitor, Control Pad (also Control Switch). When placing the Mega Drive into the CD Checker Test Box, please disassemble the unit and use only the internal circuit board. For information on each component, refer to the CD Checker List "610-0267". For wiring and connections, refer to the CD Checker Schematic, "610-0267".

4) Check Flow
    The Checker Flow (inspection procedure) can be split into two parts. The first stage handles simple signal-variation and basic functionality checks, such as short circuits in the power line, various voltages, current, frequency measurements, basic Mega Drive access, MEGA-CD internal CPU (SUBCPU) and MEGA-CD gate array (MCE), substrate-functionality checks for basic operations and electrical checks for external sections. The second stage runs two concurrent programs to conduct a detailed self-checking routine (functions check) to check the various MEGA-CD's functions through the Mega Drive unit's internal CPU (MAINCPU) and SUBCPU. In other words, short circuits in the power line, data, address and control-signal path line shorts, etc. Functionality that can lead to substrate or CD Checker damage, unresponsive states and other unexpected behaviour, is excluded from the first-stage procedures, and so the second stage includes a detail checks to isolate the problematic areas, such as which IC pin or resistor is defective.

Ver.0.95/ Created: 92/04/27 -3- SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD.

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    There is a forum member on Assembler forums and he is slowly translating the Japanese parts (again any volunteer's to help will be appreciated).

I have asked the question and been given the go ahead to share the translation as done so far. This is the first page of what I believe to be the "Hard Check" Pages 41-43 of the manual.

Comments are welcome, but it looks pretty good to me!

----------------------------------Page #41----------------------------------

SEGA
    Checker Specifications

Model
    MEGA-CD Checker

Part No.
    610-0276

Published: CS Product Engineering Dept.
    Person in Charge - Ogawa
    Section Head - Otsuji
    Manager - Takayasu
    Department Head - Matsumiya

Igarashi
    992 - 4/30

Ver.0.95/ Created: 92/04/27 -1- SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD.

----------------------------------Page #42----------------------------------

1) Contents
    1) Contents 2
    2) Overview 3
    3) Setup 3
    4) Check Flow 3
    5) Operating Procedure 6
    6) Error Messages 12
    7) Other 14
    8) Safety Procautions 17
    9) Appendix 18
    10) Revisions 23

Ver.0.95/ Created: 92/04/27 -2- SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD.

----------------------------------Page #43----------------------------------

2) Overview
    During the mass production of this product, "MEGA-CD", this Checker's function is to take electrical measurements (voltage-to-current, and frequency) of the IC board's power, and to diagnose issues which have resulted in the failure to operate normally.

3) Setup
    This product (the "MEGA-CD JIG Checker, hereafter referred to as "CD Checker"), generally speaking, consists of a Mega Drive (retail unit), CD Checker board, CD Checker JIG, CD Checker Test Box, TV Monitor, Control Pad (also Control Switch). When placing the Mega Drive into the CD Checker Test Box, please disassemble the unit and use only the internal circuit board. For information on each component, refer to the CD Checker List "610-0267". For wiring and connections, refer to the CD Checker Schematic, "610-0267".

4) Check Flow
    The Checker Flow (inspection procedure) can be split into two parts. The first stage handles simple signal-variation and basic functionality checks, such as short circuits in the power line, various voltages, current, frequency measurements, basic Mega Drive access, MEGA-CD internal CPU (SUBCPU) and MEGA-CD gate array (MCE), substrate-functionality checks for basic operations and electrical checks for external sections. The second stage runs two concurrent programs to conduct a detailed self-checking routine (functions check) to check the various MEGA-CD's functions through the Mega Drive unit's internal CPU (MAINCPU) and SUBCPU. In other words, short circuits in the power line, data, address and control-signal path line shorts, etc. Functionality that can lead to substrate or CD Checker damage, unresponsive states and other unexpected behaviour, is excluded from the first-stage procedures, and so the second stage includes a detail checks to isolate the problematic areas, such as which IC pin or resistor is defective.

Ver.0.95/ Created: 92/04/27 -3- SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD.

That actually sounds pretty good and easy to understand. Unfortunately there are about 30 pages of nothing but japanese text :/

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Wow.....such amazing stuff. The Mega CD 2 manual is gorgeous, that flow chart for testing lasers is so very very detailed & makes me so very happy.

It was also nice to finally know about the 315-5476A PCM chip. Now if only I could know about the 315-5619. Using the info from the new upload I found the PCM is sending all the data to the 315-5619 and I'm now 100% sure its the DAC for that (and NOT a Z80 as people have been saying). Its the equivalent of the LC7881 in a regular Sega CD, only integrating some opamps I believe and possibly other stuff. Would be great to have more info on it but I'll be happy with what we have for now!

Thanks for the manuals! They will be very useful in focusing the lenses and adapting them to work. I'm now waiting for Kanedafr for the MD1 and MD accessories manuals.

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

Omp, could you do something to the packing size of your service manuals? I mean 10 images and your size is 50mb. Could you re do the images I mean scale to lower resolution, pack with png-32 and so on and the re-do the pdf's I am sure that you can do like 4mb files with this method.

Here is till example 800*1xxx resolution cd2 1/2 pdf with file size 6mb compared to your 76mb: Mega CD 2 Service Manual 1 of 2 A4(small).pdf

What I only did was to reduce your orginal file size from 7600 wide resolution to 800 wide in photoshop. How ever this was hard as I needed reduce image resolution one image per time. I should extracted images to disk first, then use my image shrink program and then combine pdf again but this was for testing purposes.

I even played a bit with different image packing qualities from 10 to 8 and this is 8 as I could not tell difference in print results. That said I printed with laser printer exact same pages out of 3 different image quality settings and it seemed that there is not that much differences in them.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

Nope.

I will NEVER do this shit again, I have people whinge at me that I wasn't going to do it good enough, now I have people cracking off at me that it's too big.

Do you know how many hours I stood there scanning these? Getting up at 3am to get to work extra early to do these before work hours as not to disturb my fellow co-workers? Doing this ended up me having a 14hr work day! Did I pocket any of the raised funds to pay myself for these hours NO!

I had someone say to me on another forum "don't you even dare scan it at anything less than blah blah blah".

Don't like it? I am not holding a gun to your head pal, that is why there is 2 high res versions, PDF for those that want near 100% what I had and don't mind the big download vs the TIF version that is 95-ish% and only want a smaller download.

Pretty poor form dude, NO!

Next time raise the funds YOURSELF, sell your own consoles to raise more funds YOURSELF, scan them as YOU see fit YOURSELF, cop people saying you didn't do it good enough YOURSELF!

You could have PM'ed me mate.
    Last edited by omp; 02-16-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Master of Shinobi

I made those comments about using the highest possible quality, and I did it because I had no idea the end files would turn up so good as they did. My behavior looks so silly in hindsight. Terrific job on the scans, and I apologize again that I had to put you through hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by MEGADRIVE Jeroi View Post
    Omp, could you do something to the packing size of your service manuals? I mean 10 images and your size is 50mb. Could you re do the images I mean scale to lower resolution, pack with png-32 and so on and the re-do the pdf's I am sure that you can do like 4mb files with this method.

Here is till example 800*1xxx resolution cd2 1/2 pdf with file size 6mb compared to your 76mb: Mega CD 2 Service Manual 1 of 2 A4(small).pdf

What I only did was to reduce your orginal file size from 7600 wide resolution to 800 wide in photoshop. How ever this was hard as I needed reduce image resolution one image per time. I should extracted images to disk first, then use my image shrink program and then combine pdf again but this was for testing purposes.

I even played a bit with different image packing qualities from 10 to 8 and this is 8 as I could not tell difference in print results. That said I printed with laser printer exact same pages out of 3 different image quality settings and it seemed that there is not that much differences in them.
    If you can resize them on your own, why are you bugging omp about it?

Quote Originally Posted by MEGADRIVE Jeroi View Post

WTF man???? Just make a file on your own if that's your urgency,unless your internet connection is crappy.
    That's why TIFs were made.

Omp, don't make that let you down. Your job is awesome, and IMO you've made yourself a name in Sega history for releasing this important tech info.

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

I did not mean to hurt you omp, I just meant that pdf's can be shrink also to serve the same thing as tif's without not that much of image quality issues. I am sorry to hear that you had to wake up early to do these, this I did not know as it seams this scanning issue is discussed somewhere else and I haven't seen those.

Sorry if I insulted you some way.
    Last edited by MEGADRIVE Jeroi; 02-16-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

Thread Information