Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega CD games on Gens emulator...

Default Sega CD games on Gens emulator...

...could anyone tell me how to get Sega CD games to work on the Gens emulator? I can get Genesis and Game Gear ones to work, but I'm havin' a little trouble with the Sega CD ones.

~thanks ahead of time..

Well, if you're trying to use the actual CDs, apparently that feature doesn't work on XP for reasons too technical for my understanding. If you're insistant on using gens, you can rip an image of the cd using nero or something and rip the audio tracks as MP3s (The MP3s must be the same name as the image plus track number starting from 02 onwards, track one being the data. Example SonicCD.iso, sonicCd02.mp3 and so on.) If you want to use Mega cds games directly, I recomend the Kega fusion emulator. More or less the same as gens, but cds work including 32x cds, but you still need the appropriate bios files.

One of the few people who likes Night Trap

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Gens real CDs work on XP.. You need ASPI drivers installed in Windows, that's all..

Oh, and of course, the BIOS file..

Default Hmmm...

Thanks for your responses.

I've been trying to play Eternal Champions CftDS (haven't played the game in almost ten years), but I'm having trouble. I have the proper MP3 files and everything, and like two Bios files, I believe. Do they not work like the usual Genesis and Game Gear roms do? Do I have to burn them to CD in order for them to work? I assume it's not as simple as just dragging the folder with the appropriate files over to the Gens or Fusion icons to get it working (as with Game Gear and Genesis games)..

Since I have XP, does that mean that I have to burn the files to CD first or what..?

~thanks again..

i think only KEGA works with MP3's..

Road Rasher

You CAN'T use the CDs with xp.
    Is the bios file set up properly?
    Are you only dragging the ISO?
    If that still doesn't work, try "load CD image" or whatever it is in the emu you're using.

Yes it does GZeus..

http://www.fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/...stroublesh.htm

Go to the Gens forum, ask, they'll tell you to "RTFM! It says install the ASPI driver and it will work!".. and yes, they will snap, they get that a lot...

Wildside Expert

It works in XP.

Default So...

...if it won't work to just drag the file over to the emulator icon, what do I do?

When I attempt to drag it, it says... "Your BIOS files aren't correctly configured..."

What does this mean? It doesn't say this when I play Game Gear or Genesis games, so are there some steps I need to take to get Sega CD ones to work?

~thanks again for all of your responses..

You need a BIOS for a Sega CD to work..

You can use my "known good" dump that works (9303)..

You mentioned having 2 bios files and a message saying they're not configured. Maybe a run down of how to do this will help.

Load up Gens and on the menu bar, select options, then configurations
    Select the Files tab and note the Sega CD Bios section.
    Make sure you know which countries your bios files come from and click the appropriate browse button and select the appropriate bios file.

This should allow you to play with image files.

And yes, MP3s do work with Gens, need to be the same name as the ISO image plus the track number starting with 02 (Example, SonicCD.iso, SonicCD02.mp3 and so on)

One of the few people who likes Night Trap

Raging in the Streets

I think Kega Fusion uses an alternative method to detect CD drives. Have you tried using an alternative emulator to Gens?

INCspot

I tried all sorts of emulators, and no matter what, I still was not able to get them to recognize my CD-ROM, no matter what ASPI files I downloaded. However, Kega Fusion finally worked for me, and I now have my Sega CD back!

BTW, does anyone know if this compatibility list is still valid, or is there a more up-to-date version out there?
    Last edited by INCspot; 02-05-2007 at 01:52 AM.

I thought Kega Fusion was supposed to do anything and everything and be invincible! I guess not...

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

That takes me back to when Sega CD emulation was just getting started, and yeah that list is very old and NOT valid.

Eidolon's Inn was an amazing site... over six years ago. But now it is no longer amazing, nor is it nearly as active. I used to check "The Tavern" on a daily basis, but I haven't checked it in a long, long time.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Thread Information