Quantcast

Thread: Mario Land Colour

Default Mario Land Full Colour Romhack

This is a romhack of the marioland 1.1 rom turning the game into full colour. I found a colorized version of the game on romhacking.net that had been made using the gb colorizer. The gbcolorizer code is unfinished and games made using it don't run on real hardware or certain emulators. With the help of bgb emulator, spikeman, and a lot of research into gameboy assembly language I give you this improved hack. This version makes the colourized rom go from 1mbyte down to 128k, this hack runs on actual hardware and all emulators flawlessly. All bugs and glitches that were in the previous release have been fixed (there were a lot of bugs and glitches). There's the occasional drawing glitch giving you the wrong pallette on tiles once in a blue moon but the glitches are so small they're not annoying at all. The reason why there's minor drawing glitches is because of the nature of the inserted colorizer code. This's as good as you can get without completely disassembling the entire rom, and truthfully I never imagined we'd get it this good.

Testing on real hardware was done using my home-made gameboy dev carts. I'll release the rom / patch once I get permission from all people who contributed (this was a big team effort). The biggest contributor was spikeman he fixed all the programming issues I wasn't able to fix, he's one amazing assembly programmer. This game only runs on a gameboy color, gameboy advance, or gameboy player, it won't run on a super gameboy or original gameboy since it's programmed as a gameboy color game.

Here's the patch:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hh8682trdyeiey1
    Last edited by Drakon; 02-25-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

If you do this for Mario Land 2 Mr.Smith will not kill you when he takes over the world.
    There is no greater honor.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Yeah, I'd love to see Six Golden Coins in proper color. Mario Land 1 never really caught my attention. It really annoyed me how small all the sprites were.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to see Six Golden Coins in proper color. Mario Land 1 never really caught my attention. It really annoyed me how small all the sprites were.
    Got permission from all involved people, here's the patch:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hh8682trdyeiey1

Marioland 2 I'll have to look into how much of it has been colorized. Colorizing these games is a lot of work, there is a colorized patch out there but I don't know how much of the game has actually been colorized. Metroid 2 is most likely our next target there's a fully colorized patch already. I'd also love to do marioland 2, kirby, and definitely trip world.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

I love these kinda romhacks, good work Team Drakon (or whatever you guys go by!)

Thread Information