Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retro Graphics Toolkit

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theelf View Post
    sega16

I came here to say thank you for new version!! Retro Graphics Toolkit is amazing,and every version get better

I have a question, how can i export a already 16 colors image, with megadrive palette, without degrade the image?

In imagenesis is easy, just ACTIONS>QUANTIZE, and if colors are OK, imagenesis dont change anything (thats is what i want)

But in RGT I still dont have luck to just "export" the original image to a ibinary format, without a loss in colors. I dont wanna dithering, just export

For example, original image, palette is 16 colors for MD, i made the palette by hand in paint software, imagenesis result is this

And this is the image I get from RetroGraphic Toolkit, less colors

Basically, i wanna import files that already have a megadrive palette, and I dont want the software to change the pelette, just i wanna use to export from BMP/PNG/etc to binary

Is possible?

(sorry my english)

Again, thanks, and good work
    Hi, I been using retrographics tool kit so I think that I can answer you. But I have not retrographics at hand now because my hard drive died so I reply you from memory so, IIRC:

before of use retrographics, be sure that your pic is using 16 colors and it is using the MD master palette by posterizing it in steps of 8 with your graphic editor.

Then go to retrographics to "import image as tilemap" and open your image. Before than create a palette be sure that you choose "nearest color" option, then create the palette acepting all of the options on the window.

Then go to "dither image" in "tilemap options" and your image will should look correct.

Sorry if Im not being very precise but as I tell you, I reply you from memory, I hope my reply can be useful to you. Good luck with your projects!
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

Quote Originally Posted by maxxfarras View Post
    Hi, I been using retrographics tool kit so I think that I can answer you. But I have not retrographics at hand now because my hard drive died so I reply you from memory so, IIRC:

before of use retrographics, be sure that your pic is using 16 colors and it is using the MD master palette by posterizing it in steps of 8 with your graphic editor.

Then go to retrographics to "import image as tilemap" and open your image. Before than create a palette be sure that you choose "nearest color" option, then create the palette acepting all of the options on the window.

Then go to "dither image" in "tilemap options" and your image will should look correct.

Sorry if Im not being very precise but as I tell you, I reply you from memory, I hope my reply can be useful to you. Good luck with your projects!

Hi, thanks for the reply

Sadly, i already did what did you say, and tried a lot of options, but not luck

The images I have, they are already 16 colors, in a megadrive palette correct order

For example, for imagenesis, need to be, 31,63,95,127,159,191,223,255, and the images, export perfectly

In Retro Graphics Toolkit i already export my images with different format, just to try, starting from 32, 32,64,96, etc, from 0, 0,32,64,96,etc

But Retro Graphics Toolkit did a bad job with all images, it seems Retro Graphics Toolkit dont export the original pallete, just tried to make a new one

I hope the original author login one day

thanks!

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theelf View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply

Sadly, i already did what did you say, and tried a lot of options, but not luck

The images I have, they are already 16 colors, in a megadrive palette correct order

For example, for imagenesis, need to be, 31,63,95,127,159,191,223,255, and the images, export perfectly

In Retro Graphics Toolkit i already export my images with different format, just to try, starting from 32, 32,64,96, etc, from 0, 0,32,64,96,etc

But Retro Graphics Toolkit did a bad job with all images, it seems Retro Graphics Toolkit dont export the original pallete, just tried to make a new one

I hope the original author login one day

thanks!
    Hi!
    Ok, I checked it.

Im using V.7 because I have not idea how generate tilemaps using v.8 rc1!

I think that retrographics is very powerful tool and Im very grateful with sega 16 user for create it but I find the interphase very difficult to use, at least for me.

I checked it with your pic and V.7 worked fine for me.

Follow this steps with version retrographics tool kit V.7:

1. go to file>tilemaps>import image to tilemap for load your pic.

2. go to "palette editor" and in that screen change "floyd steinberg" to "nearest color"

3. then go to "palette actions" and choose "generate optimal palette with x quantity of colors" select ok to any other window that will appear.

4.Go to "tilemap actions" and choose "dither tilemap as image"

5. Go to"Plane mapping block editor" and your pic must appear there with correct colors

One more thing, for be sure that your colors are correct I used a posterized version of yourpic and the result looks correct, I mean,I used steps 36, 72, 109, 145, 182, 218, 255.Not sure if this is necessary but just in case:

Try this pic:

imagenes gratis

Edit: Oh I see, maybe your question is just for the last version of retrographics. Anyway this info could be useful for some else.
    Last edited by maxxfarras; 08-16-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Hi,
    This is a really interesting subject for me! I'm working with Genesis video at the moment and I have a GIMP Python script that batches all my animations frames. It does the following:

- the visible image layers are merged
    - image is color-indexed to at most 15 colors
    - a black color is added to the color map in the first position, and if necessary more back entries are added at the end to reach a count of 16 colors
    - a black layer is added under the image layer
    - the image is flattened

This is to fit the requirements of the SGDK, Gimp doesn't do this perfectly and I was wondering if ultimately I could use the Retro Graphics Toolkit to batch the images?

Road Rasher

I have released a minor update: V0.8 RC1.2.

Previously you had a choice for saving as either a binary file, a C header, an assembly file or a BEX file however you could only load a binary file. I added support for loading these text based files. The parser for this does support multiple "arrays" and you will be prompted to selected which one to load if there are multiple "arrays" in the file you are loading.

For assembly the syntax that Retro Graphics Toolkit currently accepts is as follows:
    Comments use a semicolon
    dc.b = 8 bit
    dc.w = 16 bit
    dc.l = 32 bit
    A US dollar sign ($) in front of a number means that the number is hexadecimal.

If you use an assembler with a different syntax you will need to modify filereader.lua.

Also the offline manual has been improved by replacing some links which used to link to the Github wiki with references to other sections of the offline manual and some minor text changes which also affect the online wiki.

I also tested compiling Retro Graphics Toolkit with Clang and made a few minor source code changes so that it can build with both Clang and GCC.

I also did a previously unannounced release. In that release some bugs were fixed and PNGs were exported with a 256 color palette. Also you can now selected which palette table is used for the Sega Genesis.

As for the problem that theelf had. He was using different RGB steps than Retro Graphics Toolkit used. Now you can select which table is used to mitigate these problems.

Death Adder's minion

Awesome!

Road Rasher

Want a command line tool to convert images using multiple palette rows? Read this post to find out how.

i just added a new headless mode, fixed a bug, and improved the UI for the palette generation frame.

The headless mode means that the Retro Graphics Toolkit window is not created. Instead what happens is a Lua script is executed. This opens up a world of possibilities such as using Retro Graphics Toolkit with your Makefiles.

To use the new headless mode do:
    Code:
    RetroGraphicsToolkit --headless scriptName.lua
    Any arguments following the script name will be passed to the Lua script.
    You can also run scripts in the headlessExamples directory regardless of where Retro Graphics Toolkit was invoked by using --headless-examples

I wrote a command line image converter which is invoked as such:
    Code:
    RetroGraphicsToolkit --headless-examples imageConverter.lua
    To learn how to use it do:
    Code:
    RetroGraphicsToolkit --headless-examples imageConverter.lua --help
    Also you can convert as many images as you want by specifying multiple images as arguments. I make use of the chdir() function so that relative paths will work as expected (as in if there is a file in the directory you are in you can read it as ./file regardless of where you are in relation to Retro Graphics Toolkit).

Windows users will need to re-download to take advantage of these features: https://github.com/ComputerNerd/Retr...Toolkit.exe.7z

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

I've seen this on nesdev but never got around to tying it,looks great and will give it a try thank you.

Guys i need help,

I'm very tired to do everything by hand pixel by pixel so i tried to follow a tool to help me,
    so i took a ryu artwork and create a pixel art version of it using 16 colors of md pallete,
    now i need transform it on tiles and in a bynary file to make my life easier, opening it on grafic editor to insert on the game
    with RGT i created a tile map, removed duplicates but i don't know how export it in a format that i can use..
    just anotther image..

What i'm doing worng? Is not possible export it to binary file with tiles information to use in the game?
    I look on documentation but i didn't find an answer

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Thread Information